[News] SFSU Ethnic Studies and Asian American Studies Cohorts respond to the hunger strike agreement

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed May 18 12:16:15 EDT 2016

SFSU Ethnic Studies and Asian American Studies Cohorts respond to the
hunger strike agreement. We ask allies, faculty, staff, and students to
sign on and to continue putting pressure on administration until we have
a sustainable and thriving College.

ETHS and AAS Graduate Cohorts

College of Ethnic Studies

San Francisco State University

1600 Holloway Ave.

San Francisco, CA 94132

May 17th, 2016

This is a public statement to the campus, allies, and SFSU administrators.

Recently President Wong and the student hunger strikers reached an
agreement that led to a sustained $482,806 increase to advancing the
college of ethnic studies, as well as an additional $250,000 toward the
2016-2017 academic year. With this money we now have the funding for
sustaining the salaries of 2 full time tenure track faculty positions in
the Africana Studies department. Race and Resistance Studies was granted
departmental status and 2 courses have been created and dedicated toward
Pacific Islander Studies. In addition, we were granted resources toward
hiring a full time development officer and grant writer, as well as more
work study positions and a complete restructuring of our current MA
curriculum. We deeply appreciate the resilience and tenacity of the
hunger strikers and thank them for their efforts and sacrifices.
However, although our movement has made some incredible gains, we are
still concerned with how and why certain important items were omitted
from the agreement.

To begin, we assert that the “cooling off” period that the students were
issued and agreed to is a tacticto suppress dissent on campus, as well
as an attempt to silence this much broader movement working to defend
and advance the College of Ethnic Studies. These four students alone do
not fully represent Third World Liberation Front 2016; they are a part
of a much larger movement of undergraduates, graduate students, staff,
and faculty that have adopted the struggles of the original Third World
Liberation Front formed on this college. Despite making progress on a
few of our original demands, we still are a united front that will not
be silenced so long as we continue to remain under resourced and
underfunded.

The Ethnic Studies and Asian American Studies MA programs, in our view,
continue to be seen as a “cash cow” for the university, in that the
resources dedicated to our programs are generally low and the quality of
education provided is lackluster. The MA programs are only expected to
provide tuition dollars but not necessarily a rigorous education and
necessary financial support for its students, many of whom work full
time and have other work or family requirements. MA students in Ethnic
Studies and Asian American Studies are active community members and are
expected to return to their communities with more tools and training to
carry out the values of the College of Ethnic Studies as leaders. Yet
despite the importance of graduate education to the College of Ethnic
Studies, the university administration leading up to this current budget
fight proposed that the MA programs be cut. Graduate students were told
that faculty ought to teach larger lectures rather than smaller seminars
as to better the cost-benefit of the College. In the neoliberal
university, MA programs in the College of Ethnic Studies are both
underfunded and understaffed and then accused of being unable to meet
the scholarly expectations that a “top level” university should be able
to. We believe that this underlying logic that the administration has
viewed the College of Ethnic Studies had not changed despite the
agreement made.

In this regard, we refuse the administration’s management and demand
that our MA programs see more resources, which includes the original
demands for a new communal space, funding support to do research and
professional development, and challenge the administration to provide
funding for the development of MA programs and graduate level courses in
American Indian studies, Africana studies, and Latina/Latino studies.
The MA students expect more than the status quo and see the importance
of intellectual development alongside community activism. The
administration has thus far failed to meet our demands to advance the
graduate programs.

The Arab & Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas initiative (AMED), now
housed within Race and Resistance Studies (recently given departmental
status for the new academic year), was told that they would be in
meetings with the president over the next 5 years to develop and
reinstate 2 tenure-track faculty positions, and a staff position. These
specific demands were not met and the funding from this agreement will
not be not sufficient to cover its growth. The program has no budget and
no staff with only one faculty member despite a growing academic Minor,
an active public educational program, and a strong and growing
commitment to Arab and Muslim communities, Indigenous communities, and
other communities of color. We demand to know why the university will
not reinstate AMED positions for the upcoming academic year. The
advancement of AMED is crucial, especially in this moment of a
heightened anti-Arab and Islamophobic environment. Even at SFSU,
Palestinian students and allies have been targets of Zionist backlash,
including calls to their places of work, homes, death threats via social
media, and other tactics to push punitive action from the university.
This backlash came following a student protest of a campus event
featuring Nir Barakat, the mayor of Jerusalem, a war criminal who has
played a key role in advocating for further arming settlers in
Jerusalem, leading to increased attacks on both African migrants and
Palestinians in the forms of lynchings and stabbings. Contradicting the
will of student organizers, the following day President Les Wong wrote a
letter of apology to Barakat for the protest, and even invited him back
to campus, reaffirming his zionist stance. Over the last 5 years alone,
Palestinian and Muslim students on campus have been subject to federal
investigation, demonization, and attacks from outside Zionist entities.
AMED faculty has also been targeted by outside groups who falsely
accused her of unfounded claims. The university however did not come to
her support for a whole academic year. Instead, as he did now, the
university president issued a statement affirming Zionist charges, thus
leading to an escalation of that attack. The General Union of Palestine
Students (GUPS) has constantly had to fight for their own space and
right to function as any other student organization would. We only write
all this to emphasize and contextualize the importance of a larger AMED
program and why this cannot be put off for another 5 years. AMED, since
its creation, has been a safe space for Arabs, Muslims, and Palestinians
to develop.

The agreement proposes only two Pacific Islander studies classes with a
promise to develop a department over the next 5 years. We ask this of
administration: why have you only offered funding for two classes at the
lowest possible lecturer pay when there has been considerable work and
effort by Pacific Islander students on this campus toward creating an
entire Pacific Islander studies department? Furthermore, we are
disturbed by the lack of Pacific Islander voices in making these
decisions and highlight the necessity of having professors that
represent these communities. Pacific Islander communities are critically
underrepresented and are often a forgotten voice in higher education.
Although there have been lasting coalitions between Asian Americans and
Pacific Islanders on common struggles, the racial categorization of
“Asian-Pacific Islander” (API) is one that homogenizes the two groups,
and allows for the tokenizing and invisibilization of a fast growing
Pacific Islander community. This in turn misclassifies Pacific Islander
communities in the academic world, making many not eligible for
scholarships that assist underrepresented communities, since they are
not seen as an underrepresented group. This “API identification” has
very real consequences, a scholarship could be the determining factor
whether someone goes to college or not. Currently Asian Americans are
much more likely to receive a bachelor's and advanced degrees compared
to their Pacific Islander counterparts. Again, we stress these points to
contextualize why it’s necessary that a full Pacific Islander studies
program, is established immediately, with an ultimate goal of making it
a department. The university should not make the same mistake in
limiting their own ability to help underrepresented communities by
refusing to establish a program dedicated to the advancement of their
communities. Structural frameworks for creating a comprehensive Pacific
Islander studies program, with the intention of making it a department,
are available. We have seen these models work for different studies
programs and departments which currently exist. These communities
deserve much more than just two classes, and the demands of our Pacific
Islander community must be heard.

We want to re-emphasize that we made some important gains, but the
funding necessary to sustain and advance our college will not come out
of this agreement. The May 11th agreement represents less than 10% of
the original ask and many of our demands have not been met. The
president claims that he has unwavering commitment to the advancement
and expansion of the college, however those words will remain empty as
long as he continues to silence our underrepresented students. If you
support us as a College then you will meet our demands regarding AMED
program for the next academic year, disinvite Nir Barakat, denounce
these ongoing intimidation tactics utilized by Zionist groups, develop a
program with an ultimate goal of departmental status that satisfies and
doesn’t just pay lip service to the Pacific Islander community on this
campus, and give us sufficient funding to sustain the growth of the Ethnic

Studies college.

We should not have to sacrifice certain communities for the advancement
of others, that is antithetical to the teaching, spirit, and ethics of
Ethnic Studies. We recognize that the different struggles indigenous
communities and communities of color face are interlinked, and that our
liberation is tied. That cannot be achieved by throwing each other under
the bus, fighting over the limited funding we have. We ask that
students, staff, faculty, and allies sign onto this statement and we
encourage allies, alumni, and the entire campus body to continue to put
pressure on administration to demand for an even stronger ethnic
studies. This battle for ethnic studies is about more than just one
department, one community, employment, or programs, it’s about all of
us. This is about our ability to build a movement and to have
institutions that advocate and push for the continued growth of
historically marginalized communities, taught by and for those most
impacted by larger structures of power and oppression. This fight is far
from over.

Signed,

The Ethnic Studies and Asian American Graduate Cohorts of the SFSU
College of Ethnic Studies