[News] Yemeni faces death threats after filming Baton Rouge killings

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jul 20 10:34:04 EDT 2016

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/black-and-arab-unity-comes-fore-over-black-lives-matter-movement-1238748385

  Yemeni faces death threats after filming Baton Rouge killings

Jihan Hafiz - July 20, 2016

*BATON ROUGE, United States -* On Monday night, a large crowd of mostly
women and children gathered outside the Triple S shop in Baton Rouge to
talk about police brutality. Since 37-year-old Alton Sterling’s death by
police shooting went viral on 5 July, the Triple S has become the
rallying site for Black Lives Matter activities in Baton Rouge.

As the crowd discussed the videos, one resident motioned to a slender
Middle Eastern man and shouted, “If it wasn’t for him, we may have never
seen another angle of this murder. It shows Alton had no gun [out] as
the police claim. It takes a brave man to come forward and bring this
truth to us. And this man is not even black, he’s an Arab.”

The crowd applauded loudly and a number of mothers pushed 35-year-old
Abdallah Muflahi forward.

“Thank you brother, may God bless you for your courage,” one woman
says.  Another shouts out “Assalamu aleikum” - an Islamic greeting
meaning "Peace be upon you."

A quiet man, Muflahi humbly thanked the crowd and stepped back. He did
not intend for his act to make him the unsung hero of the Baton Rouge
uprising.

“Who is going to speak for the dead? Alton is gone. He can’t speak for
himself. I had to do something,” Muflahi told Middle East Eye. “You know
how it is [in Islam]. You do right and you are not supposed to wrong
anyone, and if you notice someone being wronged, you cannot turn your
eye and walk away. You have to stand up for them and seek justice.”

Muflahi described the night of Sterling’s death as a nightmare he never
imagined he would witness.

Muflahi said he felt something was terribly wrong when the two police
officers approached Sterling. He watched the altercation from his store
and then took out his cell phone when the police became physical. “The
first thing I thought was I have to film this,” he said. Immediately
after Sterling was shot, the police turned their attention to Muflahi.

The police officers demanded the surveillance video captured on his
store cameras. Muflahi requested to be present in his store if they
wanted to take the video. The police officers told Muflahi they would
get a warrant. Instead they detained him and stuck him in the back of a
hot, stuffy police cruiser while they seized the store’s surveillance
video, which has still not been publicly released.

After the police released Muflahi, he gave his cell phone video to a
news agency. The video immediately went viral and Muflahi filed a
lawsuit against the Baton Rouge police department.

“I don’t like the fact that the police can violate people’s rights
because they are minorities,” said Muflahi, who has faced multiple death
threats since releasing the video and filing the lawsuit.

Born in Yemen, Muflahi and his family immigrated to the US when he was
six years old. They settled in Detroit and Muflahi lived there until a
few years ago, when a friend called him and told him about a job
opportunity in Baton Rouge.

“It was a nice transition. I never had any issues with the community and
one of the first people to welcome me was Alton Sterling.”
Muflahi remembers Sterling as a man with a big heart who loved to joke
around and make others around him feel good. “He was a good guy. I miss
him.”

Baton Rouge is home to a sizable Arab and Muslim community. Historically
in the US, it is not commonplace for black and Arab communities to
mingle in the same social circles - but in Baton Rouge, the communities
are intertwined.

For Muflahi and other members of the Arab and Muslim community, racial
profiling and discrimination are nothing new.

“Of course I have faced discrimination because I’m Muslim, I’m Arab and
have a beard on me. I’m always profiled, called a terrorist, raghead.
I’ve been called awful, hurtful things. I’ve been followed and harassed.”

Muflahi consulted members of the Muslim and Arab community before filing
the lawsuit. Many of them advised against the decision, fearing police
reprisals.

      Fearing police reprisals

After Muflahi went public with the lawsuit, only a few members of the
Arab community have stopped in to show their support.

“It’s understandable people are afraid to show up,” he said. “They don’t
want to put their names out there like that. There are lots of racist
people out there that hate Arabs and Muslims as much as they hate
blacks. People don’t want to put themselves in danger.”

“I have people mainly calling the store, threatening my life, saying
Muslims are trying to rip America apart from the inside out,” said
Muflahi. “It’s just disturbing to even talk about. Being called a
terrorist, a sand n*****, a n***** lover, I will pay for thinking I’m
black, for supporting the black community. But what am I gonna do? I
have to look past it. I fear only God.”

The black community has stood firmly behind Muflahi, including
Sterling’s relatives, who consider Muflahi a member of their family now.
Members of the black community have been engaging in discussions about
Islam. While those attending activities outside the Triple S learn words
like /shukran /(thank you) and /assalamu aleikum/.

Islam is the second most common religion among black Americans. Many
African Americans attending Black Lives Matter rallies either have a
black Muslim friend or family member.

“People know about Islam here in the black community,” said Muflahi.
“After what happened, people see Islam and Muslims differently, in a
more positive light. And I hope what I did makes them realise who we are
as Muslims. I hope that message reaches a lot of people.”

Sterling’s family asked Muflahi to be a guest of honour and speaker at
the funeral service. When Muflahi was introduced, he was greeted by a
standing ovation, with some shouting, “Allahu akbar” - God is the greatest.

At Muflahi first words, “Assalamu aleikum,” the crowd of hundreds
answered back “Waleikum assalam” - the formal response meaning, "And on
you, peace."

“This has brought the communities closer because we both face
discrimination,” Muflahi said.

“Black Lives Matter is a good thing. Black, Arabs, Muslims … basically
if you are not white you are being profiled and that must change. We
need to change this cycle. The killings and the violence must stop. And
it’s a beautiful thing the communities have come together to see this
through.”