[News] Celebrate the victories we have, but stay vigilant - responses to US Army Corps of Engineers halting DAPL construction

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Dec 5 12:28:43 EST 2016

https://warriorpublications.wordpress.com/2016/12/04/some-quick-responses-to-us-army-corps-of-engineers-halting-dapl-construction/

  Some quick responses to US Army Corps of Engineers halting DAPL
  construction

Zig Zag - December 4, 2016

Trolling the internet I found a few interesting statements about today’s
announcement that the US Army Corps of Engineers has denied the easement
to drill under Lake Oahe, a reservoir of the Missouri River.  I took the
liberty of collecting a few FB comments, some of which contradict
Standing Rock Sioux tribal chair tribal chair Dave Archambault II’s
statement that protesters should now go home…

Rax Symelich stated:
“No, the DAPL is not dead. No, we didn’t win. No, no, no. It’s a trick.
The Army Corps of Engineers has declined to grant the easement for
Energy Transfer Partners’ drilling under Lake Oahe. This isn’t the same
as denying it outright.  “What it means is that they will do a limited
Environmental Impact Study before allowing the drilling. The EIS could
take months, by which time Trump will be president and they hope all the
water protectors leave so they can finish the pipeline quietly with no
media attention.”

Pennelys Droz stated:
“DAPL says it will drill anyway — without a permit. Oceti Sakowin water
protectors urged to stay in camp. The Army Corps of Engineers denied
DAPL Permit! The announcement was made live in the Big Circle at Oceti
Sakowin Camp, live on Standing Rock Spirit Resistance Radio. Now from
the Camp: DAPL is expected to pay the fines and continue drililng
without a permit. At Oceti Sakowin Camp, they urged people not to leave
the camp, because DAPL might drill anyway, without a permit. “Stick
around and make sure that doesn’t happen.”

Klee Benally, an organizer with Indigenous Action and who was involved
for several years in a campaign to stop ski resort in the San Francisco
Peaks, stated:

“Celebrate the victories we have, but stay vigilant. The NEPA process is
not designed to serve Indigenous interests. We’ve experienced this
through the desecration of sacred places such as the San Francisco
Peaks. We’ve had Environmental Impact Statements facilitate desecration
of sacred places under the Obama administration so just imagine what the
Trump administration’s EPA is going to look like. Fascists like him have
been trying to gut the NEPA processes for years. To fully stop these
pipelines we have to also shut down the systems that generate them.
Protect all sacred places, bring the struggle home. Celebrate, pray,
organize, and continue to fight back.”