[News] This is just the beginning - DAPL Easement Denied, But The Fight's Not Over

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Dec 5 12:20:40 EST 2016

http://sacredstonecamp.org/blog/2016/12/2/obama-administration-denies-final-easement-whats-next

  DAPL Easement Denied, But The Fight's Not Over

December 5, 2016

Tara Houska, National Campaigns Director of Honor the Earth says, “The
original peoples of these lands fought with all of our hearts against
injustice and won. We have been maced, tased, demeaned, hit with water
cannons in below freezing temperatures, we stand with the strength of
our ancestors before us. The inaction from the administration and media
was answered by our refusal to back down. Let this send a message around
the world: we are still here. We are empowered. We are not sacrifice
zones. Mni wiconi, water is life.”

Eryn Wise of the International Indigenous Youth Council says, “We've
been fighting this fight our whole lives and now there is no doubt in
our minds that our generation can change the future. We know that the
next presidency stands to jeopardize our work but we are by no means
backing down. We will continue protecting everywhere we go and we will
continue to stand for all our relations. We say Lila wopila to everyone
who has supported the resurgence of indigenous nations. This is just the
beginning.”

Dallas Goldtooth of the Indigenous Environmental Network says, “Today,
the Obama Administration has told us they are not granting the final
easement for the Dakota Access Pipeline. This is not just an amazing
victory for Standing Rock and the Oceti Sakowin  -- but also for the
many other Tribal Nations, grassroots Indigenous communities and
millions of Americans around the country who have stood in solidarity
with us here in person, at rallies around the country, and through phone
calls and letters. This is a victory for organizing, and it doesn't stop
now. We are asking our supporters to keep up the pressure, because while
President Obama has granted us a victory today, that victory isn't
guaranteed in the next administration. More threats are likely in the
year to come, and we cannot stop until this pipeline is completely and
utterly defeated, and our water and climate are safe.”

LaDonna Allard, Director of the Sacred Stone Camp, says, “I was asked,
“When do you consider this pipeline issue to be over?” I said, when
every pipe is out of the ground and the earth is repaired across the
United States. I am not negotiating, I am got backing down. I must stand
for our grandchildren and for the water.”