[News] AK Press Damaged by Warehouse Fire - How you can help!

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Mar 26 16:57:31 EDT 2015

*PRESS RELEASE: AK PRESS DAMAGED BY WAREHOUSE FIRE*

by Charles Weigl
Oakland, CA
March 25, 2015

*In the early morning of March 21, the building at that houses AK Press
caught fire.* The blaze began in the building directly behind the AK
Press warehouse, where two people lost their lives. It moved to the
mixed-use building AK Press shares with 1984 Printing and
30+ residents. Everyone in their building got out safely, but several
units were completely destroyed. There was extensive water and smoke
damage to other units, including the space occupied by AK Press.

On the afternoon of March 24th, the City of Oakland red-tagged the
building, which prohibits the publisher from “entering or occupying” its
warehouse.

AK Press, a collectively owned and worker-run business, was in the
process of announcing celebrations for its 25^th anniversary—with
parties planned in New York City and Oakland, CA, in April. The
publisher had also just received back from the printer its most
anticipated title of recent years, /Octavia’s Brood: Science Fiction
Stories from Social Justice Movements/, for which orders continue to
stream in.

In the immediate aftermath of the fire, friends and supporters of the
press showed up in large numbers (“a small army” according to the
publisher’s web site) to help with clean up. The company was in the
middle of assessing the damage when the city delivered its red-tag,
which will hinder that process considerably.

AK Press has established a fire relief fund
(http://www.gofundme.com/akpressfire) that it says will be evenly split
three ways between the publisher, 1984 Printing, and affected residents.

About AK Press (taken from http://www.akpress.org/about.html):

AK Press is a worker-run collective that publishes and distributes
radical books, visual and audio media, and other mind-altering material.
We're small: seven people who work long hours for short money, because
we believe in what we do. Decisions at AK Press are made collectively,
from what we publish, to what we distribute and how we structure our
labor. All the work, from sweeping floors to answering phones, is
shared. When the telemarketers call and ask, "who's in charge?" the
answer is: everyone. Our goal isn't profit (although we do have to pay
the rent). Our goal is supplying radical words and images to as many
people as possible. The books and other media we distribute are
published by independent presses, not the corporate giants. We make them
widely available to help you make positive (or, hell, revolutionary)
changes in the world.

Contact:
For more information

Charles Weigl, outreach at akpress.org
510-295-4605

AK Press
674 23^rd Street
Oakland CA 94612

"We are not in the least afraid of ruins.... We carry a new world here,
in our hearts." —Buenaventura Durruti