[News] American Muslim Organizations: End Israeli Aggression and Occupation

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sun Aug 3 15:18:38 EDT 2014

  Muslim Organizations and Individuals

Statement by American Muslim Organizations: End Israeli Aggression and
Occupation, Uphold American principles [sic]
*
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Y81Eek6_RBiGp83Fzh17LVncWoe6q-C_ANe3AfTO-R8/viewform?c=0&w=1*

August 2, 2014

The Israeli aggression against the civilian population of Gaza has
surpassed all levels of brutality and cruelty. For over three weeks, the
Israeli government has unleashed a violent campaign that has so far
resulted in more than 1600 deaths (including more than 400 children, 300
women and dozens of elderly people), and more than 9,000 wounded (over
2500 children and 1600 women). No building, however sacred, was spared:
more than 8,500 homes, 76 mosques, 2 churches, and 25 hospitals and
health clinics were destroyed. Ambulances, doctors, nurses and
paramedics, schools, universities, UN buildings, libraries, shelters,
food markets, playgrounds, graveyards were also bombed, in addition to
152 educational facilities.

According to Israeli authorities 95 percent of the sixty declared
Israeli fatalities are military, while according to the UN about
three-quarters of Palestinian casualties are civilians. Consequently,
top UN officials and human rights groups have conducted investigation
and accused Israel of "war crimes," and even called for the UN to impose
an arms embargo against Israel.

Therefore, we, as American Muslim organizations, academics, Imams,
community leaders and activists, affirm our unequivocal support for
Palestinian rights to freedom and dignity while forcefully condemning
the illegal and oppressive occupation structure.

In short, we call for:
1) An immediate end to Israeli aggression and occupation: This
distressing fact must be central to all efforts to resolve the
Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The unceasing violence against the
Palestinian people that has taken place for decades must end
immediately. It should include the end of the siege and blockade of
Gaza, the opening of all border crossings, and the release of thousands
of political prisoners in Israeli prisons. The world, as contracting
parties to the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949, must take
responsibility and provide protection and security to the defenseless
Palestinian people living under Israeli occupation and control.

2) Stop Sending US Tax Dollars To Israel: We call on our government and
Congress to stop punishing Palestinians and to act in America's best
interest by upholding the UN Charter, the Fourth Geneva Convention and
our cherished ideals of supporting freedom and self-determination. An
Israel that continues to occupy millions of human beings and apply
Apartheid-like policies to control them should be rejected and
ostracized. We demand that our tax dollars not be used in perpetrating
the occupation and suffering of Palestinians. In America it is illegal
to fund institutions that practice racial, ethnic or religious
exclusions, which is precisely what Israel praxis in every aspect of its
discriminatory approach to the Palestinians. Funding racism and
Apartheid is un-American and we call for an end to it. The President and
the Secretary of Defense have a specific legal responsibility not to
allow Israel to use US weapons against innocent civilians. Such use not
only violates International Humanitarian Law and constitutes a war
crime, but its systematic violations also constitute crimes against
humanity.

3) Support the BDS Campaign to end occupation: The Boycott, Divestment
and Sanctions (BDS) movement is one non-violent tactic that was employed
successfully during the South African freedom struggle. We believe that
as BDS continues to successfully grow worldwide, a similar, peaceful
outcome in the Middle East conflict will result. We call on all
justice-seeking, freedom-caring and peace-loving people across the US
and around the world to join the BDS campaign until the occupation ends
and Palestinian rights are restored.

4) We affirm the UN Charter, UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous
People, and the Fourth Geneva Convention (particularly Article 3 and
Protocol I which is part of Customary International Law). They
collectively provide protection for the Occupied Palestinians.
Furthermore, we affirm the right of the Palestinians to defend
themselves in the face of continued occupation, expansion of settlements
and land expropriation. International Humanitarian Law does not allow
for Israeli reprisals or disproportionate response against the occupied
Palestinians, which respectively represent war crimes and crimes against
humanity.

We call for the dozens of UN resolutions, which for decades, have called
for the restoration of Palestinian rights, and which have been ignored
by Israel and its supporters, to be implemented. This includes ending
Israel's occupation of Gaza, the West Bank, and East Jerusalem;
dismantling all Israeli settlements within the 1967 areas; and resolving
the Palestinian refugee problem in accordance with the principle of the
right of return enshrined in UN resolution 194.

The American Muslim community, through its national organizations and
community leaders, call for a worldwide education and mobilization
campaign to achieve these objectives. We call on all organizations and
community members to join the dozens of demonstrations across the
country in support of the Palestinian struggle. We urge all to speak out
and be heard. We further urge them to participate politically and
translate their anger and frustration at the one sided support for
Israel into votes across the country at the ballot boxes come November
4th, 2014. Our votes are and grassroots power will be mobilized for
Palestine, justice, and human and economic rights, both domestically and
across the globe in November. We do believe that a different world is
possible but it can only come about through knowledge and actions
manifesting the highest ethical ideals. We urge the community to
continue calling the White House, congressional representatives and
Senators demanding a change in our government policy and supporting
Palestinians aspiration for an end to the Occupation, and for freedom
and dignity.
In his farewell address, George Washington warned his fellow citizens
against the "passionate attachment of one nation for another" because it
"produces a variety of evils," and that such sympathy would be
"facilitating the illusion of an imaginary common interest in cases
where no real common interest exists." As responsible members of society
we call upon our fellow citizens and national leaders to uphold the
principles upon which America was established more than two centuries
ago: self-determination, freedom, justice, equality, and respect for the
rule of law.

Signatures

A. Organizations

1. American Muslims for Palestine (AMP)
2. American Muslim Alliance (AMA)
3. Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)
4. Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA)
5. Muslim American Society (MAS)
6. Northern California Islamic Council (NCIC)
7. Pakistan American Democratic Forum (PADF)
8. Peace Thru Justice Foundation (PTJF)
9. Muslim Voters of America (MVA)
10. Muslim Ummah of North America (MUNA)
11. Lamppost Productions
12. Sahaba Initiative
13. Islamophobia Research and Documentation Project
14. Institute of American Muslim Youth
15. Palestinian American Society (PAS)
16. American Muslim Voice
17. Muslim News Digest
18. Islamic Society of Nevada, Las Vegas
19. Islamic Foundation North
20. Islamic Leadership Institute of America
21. MAS PACE & Outreach Chicago
22. IslamiCity

B. Individuals

Dr. Sami Al-Arian