[News] Angela Davis, Martin Espada Speak! Oakland, Nov 3rd - 7pm

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Oct 29 10:31:46 EDT 2013

        *GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!
        <http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=39c293b094&e=dd27f5ada9>
        *

        *ANGELA Y. DAVIS AND MARTÍN ESPADA IN CONVERSATION*

        *
        <http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=1452ccd4da&e=dd27f5ada9>
        DREAMING WILDLY, FIGHTING TO WIN*

      *a benefit for CRITICAL RESISTANCE
      THIS WEEKEND! SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2013*
      *7PM*
      *SCOTTISH RITE CENTER*
      *1547 LAKESIDE DR.*
      *OAKLAND, CA 94612*

*ALSO FEATURING: MELANIE CERVANTES **of DIGNIDAD REBELDE, LINDA EVANS of
ALL OF US OR NONE,
and performances by RICO PABÓN and VUKANI MAWETHU CHOIR*
*Friends!*
DREAMING WILDLY, FIGHTING TO WIN
<http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=f6e693be41&e=dd27f5ada9>
is only days away!  We are proud to host this unique event with Angela
Y. Davis
<http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=4ea8a282a5&e=dd27f5ada9>
and acclaimed poet and organizer Martín Espada
<http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=79ba5403e2&e=dd27f5ada9>.
We are also are excited to have our friend Melanie Cervantes
<http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=bb58fe05ff&e=dd27f5ada9>
lead them in conversation, and to include lively performances from the
Bay Area's own Rico Pabón
<http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=4c17692159&e=dd27f5ada9>
and freedom choir Vukani Mawethu
<http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=f522910fd8&e=dd27f5ada9>.
We hope you and yours will join us for this thought provoking and
inspiring night.  And we thank you for your continued support of CR's
work!  See you Sunday!

*TICKET BREAKDOWN*:
All proceeds benefit Critical Resistance's work. Tickets/ will /be
available the evening of the event, but as we hope to sell out, we
encourage you to buy in advance.*
$20--General Admission
$40--Community Supporter (Price includes one general admission ticket in
preferred seating areas and a donation to the Community Ticket Fund. The
fund will offset ticket costs for youth and formerly imprisoned people.)
$80--Event + Reception (Price includes one general admission ticket in
preferred seating areas, and entrance to a /post-event reception and
book signing with Martín Espada and Angela Davis/)
**You can also buy tickets directly from the CR office in downtown
Oakland.  Discounts are available for groups and organization who'd like
to purchase a block of ten or more tickets.  Please contact Critical
Resistance for more information: 510 444 0484.*

*WATCH THE VIDEO
<http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=35ba0f311c&e=dd27f5ada9>*
*FOR MORE INFORMATION!*

        <http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=92194a3bfc&e=dd27f5ada9>

Critical Resistance invites you to join us for *Dreaming Wildly,
Fighting to Win*
<http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=48f6f72e13&e=dd27f5ada9>.
This event will feature a rare West Coast appearance by acclaimed poet
*Martín Espada*
<http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=90943c48b2&e=dd27f5ada9>
in conversation with *Angela Y. Davis*
<http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=13f7e80343&e=dd27f5ada9>
and will be moderated by *Melanie Cervantes*
<http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=00bdfaf2eb&e=dd27f5ada9>
of Dignidad Rebelde. *Dreaming Wildly, Fighting to Win* will encourage
audience members to envision a world free of the prison industrial
complex and inspire us to take steps toward making those visions real.
Espada and Davis will be joined by other culture workers and movement
leaders to lift up the spirit of liberation and self-determination.  All
proceeds will benefit Critical Resistance
<http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=ec7c401426&e=dd27f5ada9>.

*Angela Davis* is Distinguished Professor Emerita of History of
Consciousness and Feminist Studies at the University of California,
Santa Cruz. Davis came to national attention after being removed from
her teaching position at UCLA because of her activism and membership in
the Communist Party, USA. In 1970 she was placed on the FBI's Ten Most
Wanted List on false charges. During her sixteen-month incarceration, a
massive international "Free Angela Davis" campaign was organized,
leading to her acquittal in 1972. Today Prof. Davis remains an advocate
of prison abolition and has developed a powerful critique of racism in
the criminal justice system. She is the author of many books, including
her most recent collection, T/he Meaning of Freedom: And Other Difficult
Dialogues/ (City Lights Open Media).

Called "the Latino poet of his generation," *Martín Espada* was born in
Brooklyn, New York in 1957. He has published more than fifteen books as
a poet, editor, essayist and translator. He has received other
recognition such as the Shelley Memorial Award from the Poetry Society
of America, the Robert Creeley Award, the PEN/Revson Fellowship and a
Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship.  His work has been widely translated;
collections of poems have been published in Spain, Puerto Rico and
Chile. His book of essays, /Zapata's Disciple/ (South End Press, 1998),
has been banned in Tucson as part of the Mexican-American Studies
Program outlawed by the state of Arizona. A graduate of Northeastern
University Law School and a former tenant lawyer, Espada is currently a
professor in the Department of English at the University of
Massachusetts-Amherst.

A member of the Oakland-based arts collaboration, Dignidad Rebelde,
*Melanie Cervantes* is a Xicana activist-artist whose work includes
black and white illustrations, paintings, installations and paper
stencils. She is best known, however, for her prolific political screen
prints and posters which have been used by movements across the globe.
Employing vibrant colors and hand-drawn illustrations, her work moves
those viewed as marginal to the center -- featuring powerful youth,
elders, women, and queer and indigenous peoples.

For more information about *Dreaming Wildly, Fighting to Win* or to
learn about block ticket rates and community tickets, please contact
Rachel Herzing of Critical Resistance (510.444.0484)
www.facebook.com/critical.resistance
<http://criticalresistance.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b64cbc94231b3bae71ab83686&id=1a9d6e6b40&e=dd27f5ada9>or
fight2win-at-criticalresistance.org