[News] Orangeburg Massacre stirs debate 44 years later

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Sep 26 17:28:36 EDT 2012

  Orangeburg Massacre stirs debate 44 years later

      by Melanie Eversley, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012/09/21/orangeburg-massacre-stirs-debate-44-years-later/57817944/1

Cleveland Sellers saw plenty of civil rights protests throughout the
South as program director for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating
Committee in the 1960s. When he arrived at South Carolina State College
in Orangeburg in 1968, he thought it was time to quietly work for his
degree.

On Feb. 8, the quiet ended.

Sellers joined a demonstration against a segregated bowling alley that
ended with 30 unarmed black students shot by white police, three of them
fatally. Sellers was wounded in the armpit.

It was the most brutal response yet to student protests that would
change the nation, yet for decades it got little attention. Now,
scholars and people like Sellers with first-hand accounts are changing that.

Today, academics, students and others meet in South Carolina for a
three-day conference at the College of Charleston. They'll discuss the
black power movement and the legacy of the Orangeburg Massacre. Sellers
is one of the speakers.

The conference comes after a 2002 book, /The Orangeburg Massacre/, by
journalists Jack Bass and Jack Nelson, and a 2010 documentary,/Scarred
Justice: The Orangeburg Massacre 1968/.

"South Carolina State was the first time ever in the history of America
that a college student had been killed on their campus for doing
absolutely nothing," says Sellers, now president of Voorhees College in
Denmark, S.C.

What bothers Sellers and other scholars is that the Orangeburg Massacre,
as it is now known, happened two years before the May 4, 1970, Kent
State shootings, when National Guardsmen shot into an anti-war protest
on the Ohio campus, killing four. Yet Orangeburg never received anywhere
near the attention.

"It's still a sore spot for people here, when you talk about a massacre
of students, how it never reached the level of a Kent State," says
Patricia Lessane, executive director of the Avery Research Center, which
is hosting the conference.

"This was an example of people who were saying, 'Enough is enough,' "
she says. "We hear about Selma and other places," referring to the March
7, 1965, attack on voting rights protesters in the Alabama city, "but
you don't hear about Orangeburg."

Sellers, who went to prison on a rioting conviction, says, "I think the
Orangeburg Massacre goes down besides the martyrs of the 16th Street
Baptist Church, Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner and many others,"
referring to the three civil rights workers murdered in Mississippi in 1964.

"The legacy is that there were other martyrs just like the ones we know
about that got slid off to the side of history and weren't well
recognized because South Carolina refused for a long time to address
those kinds of issues."

Orangeburg is a city of 14,000 about 40 miles southeast of Columbia, the
state capital. Its website boasts it is where 600 Confederate soldiers
temporarily blocked the advance of the Union army. It also has two
historically black schools across the street from one another: South
Carolina State and Claflin University.

Over the years, most places in town had been integrated, but the All
Star Bowling Lanes still wouldn't serve African Americans, says John
Stroman, then a student organizer and a junior at South Carolina State.
Today, the retired teacher is 69 and still lives in Orangeburg.

On Feb. 6, 1968, Stroman and other students went to the bowling alley
and sat down at the counter but were ignored. One touched a salt shaker
and the wife of owner Harry Floyd, now dead,threw it away, Stroman says.
Everything they touched got tossed, he says.

"I hugged the jukebox and I said, 'Now throw this in the trash can,' "
Stroman recalls. "Harry got peeved and said, 'I'm going to call the
police.' "

On the second night, state and local police met the students. More than
a dozen were arrested, bloodied students went to the infirmary, and
other students threw bricks and rocks at stores.

On the third night, the weather had cooled to freezing and the students
lit a bonfire just off campus, When a firetruck was called in and state
police followed, about 100 students retreated to campus, according to
Bass. Accounts vary, but many say a banister thrown from a building hit
a state trooper in the head. A few minutes later, about 70 law
enforcement officers opened fire with carbines, pistols and riot guns
loaded with buckshot. The shooting lasted about 10 seconds.

"When I heard the first shot go off, I looked to see if they were really
shooting," Sellers said. "The area in front of the police was all lit
up. There was smoke still billowing out from the bonfire."

He hit the ground.

"I could feel when I got hit," Sellers said. "It was a burning sensation."

Many people were shot in the back or the bottom of the feet as they
scrambled away from the police gunfire.

This was the segregation era. No ambulances came. With a gunshot wound
under his left arm , Sellers dragged injured students to the infirmary.
"They were hurt real bad and that's the only way they could have gotten
back over there," he says.

ROTC student Henry Smith had five gunshots. He died at the hospital.
Freshman football player Sam Hammond died on the floor of the college
infirmary.

High school student Delano Middleton, shot in the chest, was a regular
on the campus because his mother was a cleaner there and because he
liked the grilled cheese sandwiches at the cafeteria, says Scarred
Justice filmmaker Judy Richardson.

Middleton's mother appeared at his side at the hospital and he took her
hand, Richardson recounts from interviews she did for the documentary.

He told his mother, " 'You've been a good mama but I'm going to leave
you now.' She starts saying, 'The Lord is my shepherd... ' He repeats it
and says, 'Thank you mama, I feel so much better now.' "

Then he died.

Despite news accounts of heavy gunfire, investigations later revealed
that the students were not armed.

At first, Sellers was charged with five felonies, but they were whittled
down to one: rioting.

"They convicted me of riot, one-man riot," he says bitterly.

He served seven months at hard labor of a one-year sentence.

In 1993, the state pardons board pardoned him, clearing his felony record.

"I have moved on and I have forgiven those folks who perpetuated this,
but I can't forget it," he says. "You don't necessarily have to get
consumed by your bitterness and the attitudes that you might have
developed in being treated in this manner. I was obviously targeted and
I survived it, but I wanted to leave a legacy for other youngsters."

*Campus shootings involving law enforcement*

The 1970 shootings at Kent State University in Ohio have been heavily
discussed through history. But the Orangeburg Massacre and other
incidents are not as well known:

-- Riots, Texas Southern University, Houston, May 17, 1967, one police
officer died in clashes sparked by a false rumor that a black boy had
been shot by white police.

-- The Orangeburg Massacre, South Carolina State College, Orangeburg,
S.C., Feb. 8, 1968, two college students and a high school student died
in clashes that erupted after students tried to integrate a local
bowling alley.

-- The Greensboro Uprising, Greensboro, N.C., May 21-24, 1969, a North
Carolina A&T State University sophomore died in clashes between
university and high school students and authorities after the high
school blocked a black student from running for student body president.

-- Kent State shootings, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio, May 4, 1970,
four students died after the National Guard opened fire on an anti-war
protest.

-- Jackson State shootings, Jackson State College, Jackson, Miss., May
14, 1970, two students died after police opened fire on a group of
students gathered on a street that cut through campus, after students
protested white motorists taunting black students.

/Sources: Civil Rights Greensboro project; Kent State University,
published reports/