[News] Political Repression in the Age of Obama

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sat May 5 14:30:15 EDT 2012

Political Repression in the Age of Obama

http://peopleslawoffice.com/political-repression-in-the-age-of-obama/

Originally presented as a speech at CAIR-Chicago
(Council of American-Islamic Relations) event
“Guilty By Activism” on March 15, 2012

By Michael Deutsch, attorney at People’s Law Office

In understanding the present dangers to our civil
liberties, and the right to organize and to
support movements here and throughout the world,
we must analyze how this period of repression differs from those in the past.

Throughout U.S. history there has been political
repression and the denial of civil liberties.
Beginning with the rise of the labor movement in
the late 19th century and through every period of
political activism challenging capital, white
supremacy and imperialism – be it against the IWW
(International Workers of the World), the
Anarchist movement, the Communist Party, the
Black Liberation movement, or the movements of
international solidarity with Puerto Rican
Independence, Central American liberation or
Palestinian rights and the green movements of
today– we have had spying, break-ins (black bag
jobs), wiretapping (in the modern period),
detention without trial, political frame-ups of
activists and yes, even government assassinations.

In 1972, the Supreme Court rejected a government
claim that the President had the authority to
order warrant-less wiretapping to spy on domestic
radicals. Faced with this ruling the FBI simply
decided to carry-out a series of illegal
break-ins of the homes of anti-war radicals and
their families. It was later learned that between
1972-1974 over 800 such break-ins occurred.
Interestingly, one of the first victims of this
secret policy was the Dallas based “Arab
Education League” whose files were burglarized
and armed with that information scores of
Palestinians living in the U.S. were arrested and
deported. When these illegal break-ins were
discovered after J. Edgar Hoover’s death there
was an out cry and several FBI supervisors were
indicted and convicted even though their defense
was that they were ordered to do so as part of
protecting National Security. Later they were pardoned by Reagan.

What makes this period – the “War on Terrorism”
and the policies of Bush/Obama – and I use Bush
and Obama synonymously since Obama has continued
the anti-constitutional policies of Bush, and in
fact, even extended such policies, greatly
escalating the drone assassination attacks,
signing the NDAA (National Defense Authorization
Act) allowing for indefinite preventive
detention, maintaining Guantanamo, prosecuting
whistle blowers and Arab/Muslim and other
activists, extending state secrets to cover up
torture, refusing to prosecute torture,
sanctioning military tribunals, and secretly spying on Americans.

What makes this period different and infinitely
more dangerous is that these policies of
repression, which in the past were done secretly
and when discovered were condemned as violations
of our constitutional rights, are now being
justified as legal as part of the authority of
the executive to protect our national security.

So we have the obscene and to me terrifying
specter of the U.S. Attorney General speaking at
an American Law School (my Alma mater) and in
straight face claiming that the President has the
absolute power to order the killing of anyone,
anywhere without judicial process. He argues the
outrageous idea that due process need not involve
the judiciary but can be carried out secretly
solely by the executive branch. Further,
indefinite “Preventive Detention” without trial
is now claimed to be legal and within the
executive power, as are secret break-ins and
warantless electronic surveillance, (under the
Patriot Act), and the cover-up of torture and
other government crimes under the State Secrets Act.

The usurpation by the executive branch of the
investigative and contempt power of the Federal
Grand Jury to intern political activists who
refuse to collaborate with political
investigations, is an early example of how
detention without trial or specific criminal
charge was legalized under U.S. law. During the
McCarthy period the Supreme Court held for the
first time (5-4) that political activists could
be stripped of their right to remain silent and
forced to provide information about their
political activities or go to jail without
criminal charge or trial. Armed with this power,
the federal government has used this “legal”
internment power over the following 50 years to
imprison hundreds of activists who have refused
to become informants against their movements –
all done with the sanction of the courts and the law.

Similarly, today we have the “material support
law,” which allows the government to criminalize
first amendment activity, speaking, writing,
protesting, raising money (yes, despite the
so-called right to raise money under Citizens
United) if done in conjunction with or under the
direction of a “FTO” (Foreign Terrorist
Organization), as designated by the U.S.
Secretary of State, with little ability to challenge such a designation.

So when in the past the Government had to find a
criminal hook, fabricated or not, to prosecute
and repress political activists, today they can
simply prosecute and imprison activists based on
their public, non-violent First Amendment
actions. And of course, this law is used only
against groups that oppose U.S. policy. Not those
groups who provide financial support to the
terrorist Israeli Defense Forces or to the Jewish
settlers, who are funded by rich Americans and
terrorize Palestinians on daily basis. Even some
groups who are designated FTOs are immune from
prosecution like the Iranian MEK which is
supported by a host of establishment figures, who
have been paid millions of dollars to give
speeches in their behalf, including several past
CIA directors, and Howard Dean, Thomas Ridge,
Rudy Guiliani and former Penn. Governor Ed Rendell.

What we have now is institutionalized and
legalized repression sanctioned by both parties –
A wholesale Bi-Partisan attack on our fundamental
constitutional rights. Not a peep against Obama’s
policies from the Democrats, who were so quick to
denounce the same policies when implemented by
George Bush. Assassination is now legal, as is
warrantless surveillance, break-ins, and the
criminalization of First Amendment solidarity
work. We need to challenge these insidious
national security arguments, condemn all who make
them, including Obama and Holder, and build an
independent movement to regain our fundamental
rights to organize and oppose U.S. policies

For more information about the work of People’s
Law Office in defending civil liberties, visit
<http://peopleslawoffice.com/issues-and-cases/civil-libertiesgrand-juriespolitical-repression/>Political
Repression and Grand Juries.