[News] Empire and its arrogance - then and now

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jan 13 10:38:40 EST 2012

The urination atrocity by US Marines in
Afghanistan reminds us of the Jose Marti statue
referred to in the First Declaration of
Havana
http://www.walterlippmann.com/fc-09-02-1960.html
which we can say really PISSED the Cuban people off!

[]

On March 12, 1949, three crew members from the U.
S. Navy ships visiting Havana urinated on the
monument of José Martí, Cuba's most venerated patriot.

 From the First Declaration of Havana:

The National General Assembly of the People of
Cuba energetically condemns the overt and
criminal intervention exerted by North American
imperialism for more than a century over all the
nations of Latin America, which have seen their
lands invaded more than once in Mexico,
Nicaragua, Haiti, Santo Domingo and Cuba; have
lost, through the voracity of Yankee imperialism,
huge and rich areas, whole countries, such as
Puerto Rico, which has been converted into an
occupied territory; and have suffered, moreover,
the outrageous treatment dealt by the Marines to
our wives and daughters, as well as to the most
exalted symbols of our history, such as the statue of José Martí.

This intervention, based upon military
superiority, inequitable treaties and the
miserable submission of treacherous rulers
throughout one hundred years has converted our
America ­ the America that Bolívar, Hidalgo,
Juárez, San Martín, O'Higgins, Sucre and Martí
wanted free ­ into an area of exploitation, the
backyard of the political and financial Yankee
empire, a reserve of votes for the international
organization in which the Latin America countries
have figured only as the herds driven by the
"restless and brutal North that despises us."