[News] Occupy the Super Bowl: Now More Than Just A Slogan

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Feb 3 12:09:11 EST 2012

Occupy the Super Bowl: Now More Than Just A Slogan

----------
By <http://www.zcommunications.org/zspace/davezirin>Dave Zirin

http://www.edgeofsports.com/2012-01-31-689/index.html
Friday, February 03, 2012

The sheer volume of the Super Bowl is
overpowering: the corporate branding, the sexist
beer ads, the miasma of Madison Avenue produced
militarism, the two-hour pre-game show. But
people in the Labor and Occupy movements in
Indiana are attempting to drown out the din with
the help of a human microphone right at the front
gates of Lucas Oil Stadium. The Republican-led
state legislature aims to pass a law this week
that would make Indiana a “Right to Work” state.
For those uninitiated in Orwellian doublespeak,
the term “Right to Work” ranks with “Operation
Iraqi Freedom” and “Fair and Balanced” as a
phrase of grotesque sophistry. In the
reality-based community, “Right to Work” means
smashing the state’s unions and making it harder
for non-union workplaces to get basic job
protections This has drawn peals of protest
throughout the state, with the Occupy and labor
movement front and center from small towns to
Governor Mitch Daniels’s door at the State House.
Daniels and friends timed this legislation with
the Super Bowl. Whether that was simple arrogance
or ill-timed idiocy, they made a reckless move.
Now protests will be a part of the Super Bowl scenery in Indy.

The Super Bowl is perennially the Woodstock for
the 1%: a Romney-esque cavalcade of private
planes, private parties, and private security.
Combine that with this proposed legislation, and
the people of Indiana will not let this orgy of
excess go unoccupied. Just as the parties start a
week in advance, so have the protests. Over 150
people – listed as 75 in USA Today, but I’ll go
with eyewitness accounts - marched through last
Saturday’s Super Bowl street fair in downtown
Indianapolis with signs that read, "Occupy the
Super Bowl," "Fight the Lie" and "Workers United
Will Prevail." Occupy the Super Bowl has also
become a T-shirt, posted for the world to see on the NBC Sports Blog.

The protests also promise to shed light on the
reality of life for working families in the city
of Indianapolis. Unemployment is at 13.3%, with
unemployment for African American families at
21%. Two of every five African American families
with a child under 5 live below the anemic
poverty line. Such pain amidst the gloss of the
Super Bowl and the prospect of Right to Work
legislation is, for many, a catalyst to just do something.

April Burke, a former school teacher and member
of a local Occupy chapter, said to me, “I see
Right to Work for what it is: an attack on not
only organized labor but on all working class
people
 Because strong unions set the bar for
wages, RTW laws will effectively lower wages for
all. Rushing the passage of RTW in the State of
Indiana on the eve of the Super Bowl is an insult
to the thousands of union members who built Lucas
Stadium as well as the members of the National
Football League Players Association who issued a
statement condemning the RTW bill.”

As April mentioned, the NFLPA has spoken out
strongly against the bill. When I interviewed
Player Association president DeMaurice Smith last week, he said,

“When you look at proposed legislation in a place
like Indiana that wants to call it something like
‘Right to Work,’ I mean, let's just put the
hammer on the nail. It's untrue. This bill has
nothing to do with a ‘right to work.’ If folks in
Indiana and that great legislature want to pass a
bill that really is something called ‘Right to
Work’ have a constitutional amendment that
guarantees every citizen a job. That’s a ‘right
to work’. What this is instead is a right to
ensure that ordinary working citizens can't get
together as a team, can't organize, and can't
fight management on an even playing field. So
don't call it “Right to Work”. If you want to
have an intelligent discussion about what the
bill is, call it what it is. Call it an
anti-organizing bill. Fine... let's cast a vote
on whether or not ordinary workers can get
together and represent themselves, and let’s have a real referendum.”

But Gov. Mitch Daniels, who was George W. Bush’s
budget director didn’t get this far by feeling
shame or holding referendums. This is the same
Mitch Daniels who said in 2006,"I'm not
interested in changing any of it. Not the
prevailing wage laws, and certainly not the right
to work law. We can succeed in Indiana with the
laws we have, respecting the rights of labor, and
fair and free competition for everybody." In
other words, he’s that most original of creatures: a politician who lies.

If Daniels signs the bill before the big game,
demonstrations sponsored by the AFL-CIO in
partnership with the Occupy Movement will greet
the 100,000 people who can afford the pilgrimage
to Lucas Oil Field. The NFLPA, I’ve been told by
sources, will also not be silent in the days to
come. As Occupy protester Tithi Bhattacharya said
to me, “If the bill becomes law this week then it
is very important for all of us to protest this
Sunday. We should show the 1% that the fate of
Indiana cannot be decided with the swish of a pen
by corporate politicians - the Super Bowl should
be turned into a campaign for justice and jobs.”

Occupy the Super Bowl. Now it’s more than just a slogan.

[BTW: I like the Giants, 24-20]