[News] Cointelpro 101 showing in Havana Dec 4th & 5th

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Nov 25 10:01:18 EST 2011

A small delegation is going to the
INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF THE NEW LATIN AMERICAN CINEMA

in Havana, Cuba where Cointelpro 101 will screen

Sunday Dec. 4 at 5:30 pm and
Monday Dec. 5 at 12:30 pm at Infanta Cinema Room 4

Dear Friends,

In the midst of new worldwide and national
currents of change, the passing on of lessons of
the past to new generations takes on even greater
meaning.  Your year-end contribution gives
Freedom Archives the ability to sustain and expand our work. Thank you!

Our award winning film
<http://www.freedomarchives.org/Cointelpro.html>COINTELPRO
101 has been shown both nationally and
internationally ­generating unique opportunities
for organizing and sharing the lessons and
strategies of resistance and mobilization. We
were recently “on the road” in Chicago and
Upstate NY and will be presenting the film at the
prestigious Festival Internacional del Nuevo Cine
Latinoamericano in Havana Cuba.

We have been working hard to organize a truly
unique way of accessing our archives on
line.  This will give Freedom Archives the
ability to share our resources more effectively
with communities and individuals throughout the world.

We marked the untimely passing of Geronimo ji
Jaga. Geronimo’s lifelong resistance in the
struggles of human rights and Black liberation is
one that needs to be shared throughout our
communities. Take a look at our
<http://www.freedomarchives.org/Geronimo.html>web
page to see and listen to videos and audio clips
that highlight his years of struggle in prison
and his unwavering commitment to free all political prisoners.

We celebrated a significant victory in the San
Francisco 8 case on October 22nd, with the
dismissal of the final charges against Francisco
Torres. This case erupted in January of 2007­the
week our
film<http://www.freedomarchives.org/BPP/torture.html>
<http://www.freedomarchives.org/BPP/torture.html>Legacy
of Torture premiered.
<http://www.freedomarchives.org/BPP/torture.html>Legacy
of Torture traces the history of repression
against the Black Panther Party from 1973 to the case of the San Francisco 8.

Two short videos made by the Freedom Archives
were also central to commemorations marking 40
years since the murder
of<http://vimeo.com/27870164> George Jackson and
the <http://vimeo.com/16298370>Attica Rebellion
of 1971. You can see both of these on our website as well.

Both
<http://www.freedomarchives.org/BPP/torture.html>Legacy
of Torture and
<http://www.freedomarchives.org/Cointelpro.html>COINTELPRO
101 highlight the essential role that the
resources of Freedom Archives can play in keeping
the voices of struggle and resistance alive and
growing. As we travel both nationally and
internationally we are engaging with young
people, longtime activists, academics, and
community institutions that are carrying the
torch of previous and current generations.

What we are planning for this coming year

<http://www.freedomarchives.org/Cointelpro.html>COINTELPRO
101 is particularly timely in focusing attention
on the current escalation of government
repression – especially in the context of the
Grand Juries targeting activists in the Midwest,
the increased attacks on immigrants, the rise in
Islamophobia, and the growing resistance of those
imprisoned in Control Unit prisons and in prolonged isolation.

By integrating documents into our searchable
database over the last year, we have created a
much more complex and thorough collection of
materials. Our challenge is to create a web-based
interface that is much more friendly and
intuitive­so non-scholars can explore the
richness of our holdings. By upgrading our data
management and by designing a thematically-based
and more graphic web presence, we hope to attract
a broader and younger group to explore our holdings.

Our pilot project will focus on the historic
movement to close Control Unit prisons. Control
Units have proliferated since the 1980s and now
house over 100,000 prisoners in prolonged
isolation. This project takes on heightened
significance In light of the recent hunger
strikes in California led by Pelican Bay
prisoners demanding an end to prolonged
isolation. We are expecting to make these
documents, audio, and video materials available on-line in the coming months.

Your Contributions

Your support has made our work possible. As we
begin our 12th year, we are fortunate not to be
dependent on grants or foundations, rather we
have continued to expand our base and capacity by
relying on you­members of our community who stand
for justice. Every donation, no matter how small,
contributes to our ability to keep on keepin’ on.
Thank you in advance for standing shoulder to shoulder with Freedom Archives.

Preserving the Past – Illuminating the Present – and Shaping the Future!

Remember – it is easy to donate online or to
become a monthly sustainer by clicking
<https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=33005>HERE