[News] a-plea-for-captain-john-brown

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Nov 18 18:59:15 EST 2011

Revolutionary Poets Brigade listserv
<<mailto:revolutionary at outofour.com>revolutionary at outofour.com>

by Gary Hicks

in the occupy movement, just as in every major social upheaval
leading to social progress - going at least back to the abolitionist
movement - always the question of violence versus nonviolence has
been raised. even before we touch upon the question of violence, let
us note clearly that the established order invokes pleas for
nonviolence every time there is trouble in the land, anger in the
air. and at that, they then try and define what is legitimate and
non-legitimate nonviolence.

it's ok to stand in line, hold out your hands, and calmly let the
police officer place plastic handcuffs on your wrist. but to lock
arms en masse - that's beyond the scope of nonviolence. and the
hypocrisy of it all stinks to high heaven when those expecting
nonviolent civil disobedience from us are dropping bombs and shooting
bullets on peoples around the world. and then they wonder why
desperate people in our country get violent, when they have become
the role model
as to how disputes get settled.

this is not to disparage nonviolence, but rather to point out its
limitations when we are expected to engage in establishment
prescribed nonviolence, and not dr. king's creative tension aiming
toward the beloved community.

as to the question of violence, let us simply state that the decision
to use such in the political arena is an exceptionally serious thing,
and should not be left in the hands of juvenile nihilists [yes
nihilists, not anarchists, who have their own strengths and
weaknesses, but wannabe nihilist terrorism is not to be found amongst
these categories].

Malcolm X stated on several occasions that those commited to
revolution had best study the example of the abolitionist john brown.
and before all the negative stuff about him is allowed to come to the
fore, let me invite you to read what henry david thoreau had to say
about john brown, at a town meeting in concord massachusetts, a
couple of weeks after brown's ill-fated raid on harper's ferry in
october 1859.

<http://www.thoreau-online.org/a-plea-for-captain-john-brown.html>http://www.thoreau-online.org/a-plea-for-captain-john-brown.html