[News] Puerto Rico - Thousands march in "I Love the UPR"

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sat Feb 12 18:52:21 EST 2011

The Crisis at the University of Puerto Rico: Updates

Thousands march in "I Love the UPR"

Notable participation of students accompanied by parents or relatives
who sympathize with the claim of the university community to leave
the uniformed Rio Piedras Campus
By Gloria Ruiz Kuilan | <mailto:gruiz at elnuevodia.com>gruiz at elnuevodia.com
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=hlnfsnbab&et=1104497698623&s=19039&e=001vvRR7MP7SctmYczyLCbY2Gs8aW9mJjZQYWetZBV47fyXb0I_NcBTq911WsSL2YwMlV39x0Y4sClBSkD4Q6GHSkXugl8hyV8tTkfaAesg1W4iTeXQJKQBK6soekpC7LShkhoukx2HZNSqmTBqCbz9ZqfUo5AqrfEQTsxdicAruN8=>El
Nuevo Dia (February 12, 2011)

translated from Spanish by NiLP

With the sounds of Pleneros, batucada and slogans to protest the
presence of the police in Rio Piedras campus of the University of
Puerto Rico, thousands of people marched today through the streets of
Rio Piedras in support of students in the demonstration dubbed "I
love the UPR."

At about 2:30 p.m. coming out of the Plaza de la Convalescence, in
the center of town Rio Piedras, was the mass demonstration led by the
leadership of the Puerto Rican Association of University Professors
(APPU), students and members of various political organizations,
professional, civic and community organizations.

Notable was the participation of students accompanied by parents or
relatives who sympathize with the claim of the university community
to leave the uniformed Rio Piedras campus.

Beatriz Miranda, mother of a student of this campus, said she
participated in the march "to let them know (the government) that
these guys are not alone. This is an outrage against the students,"
said the woman, who lives in Bayamon.

The march went around the campus and went through the main access
points to the Rio Piedras campus, where police officers were
stationed, who were the target of call to leave by the protesters.