[News] Haiti Before and After Aristide's Return

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Apr 12 23:58:10 EDT 2011

Joyous Victory in a Bitter Time

Haiti Before and After Aristide's Return

By ROBERT ROTH
http://www.counterpunch.org/roth04112011.html

On April 4th, Haiti’s electoral council announced
that, according to preliminary results, Michel
Martelly had been selected Haiti’s new president.
A kompa singer and long-time proponent of
Jean-Claude Duvalier, Martelly worked with the
dreaded FRAPH death squads that killed over 5000
people in Haiti after the first coup against
President Jean- Bertrand Aristide in 1991.
Martelly supporters had announced they would
“burn down the country” if he were not
selected.   Only a small number of Haitians –
around 20% by most estimates – voted in the
elections, the smallest percentage in 60 years to
participate in any presidential elections in  the
Americas. Fanmi Lavalas, the party of Aristide
and by far the most popular in Haiti, was banned
from participation. Why should people vote? It
was a “selection,” not an “election,” we were
told over and over again. By the second round on
March 20th, Haitians had to choose between
Martelly or Mirlande Manigat, a right-wing member
of Haiti’s tiny elite. One Haitian friend told
us, “This is a choice between cholera and
typhoid. You cannot make such a choice.”

Yet the bitter taste of the dismal elections
could not diminish the joy of “the return.” As
the plane carrying President Aristide and his
family back from a 7-year forced exile in South
Africa approached the Port-au-Prince airport on
March 18th, there were about 50 of us in the
inner courtyard of his home. A day before, we had
watched quietly as dozens of Haitians
methodically painted walls, swept the same floors
over and over again to make sure they were
spotless, and fixed any last remnant of the
destruction that took place at this house after the coup on February 29, 2004.

We had heard that President Aristide (called
Titid throughout Haiti) would arrive at  the
airport around noon, but we had gone to the house
earlier to avoid the crush. I had come with a
dear friend, Pierre Labossiere, representing the
work of the Haiti Action Committee. We were both
honored and overwhelmed to be there.

Rumors spread via cell phone: “He’s at the
airport, making a speech.” “The car is coming.”
We heard a roar. “Lavalas” means “flash flood”:
the flood of the poor, who can accomplish wonders
when they feel their strength. Thousands were
climbing over two sets of walls, rushing past
security, engulfing the courtyard. Within
minutes, the roofs and trees were filled. There
was no room to move. Yet in the midst of total
chaos, there was discipline and restraint. “Get
off the roof,” someone shouted. “It’s Titid’s
roof.” “Don’t damage the trees.” Then the singing
and the chanting began. “We will not vote in the
election. We have no candidate. Welcome back
Titid. Welcome back  schools.  Welcome back
hope.  Lavalas – we bend, but we do not break.”

I was standing next to a Haitian grass roots
organizer and school director. Her school had
been under attack since the coup, but she had
persevered and kept up the work. She has been the
heart of earthquake relief in her community. She
had tears in her eyes. “I’ve been working in the
movement since I was 15. I am so happy. So happy.”

We saw another friend, who had been imprisoned
during the last terrible years of  Duvalier, and
now lives in one of the internal refugee camps.
We asked her, “Are you going into the house?” She
said, “No, I can always see the President. It’s
more important to hand out water to the people. They are so thirsty.”

I could only imagine the reaction of the U.S.
State Department, which tried so hard to stop
this moment. President Barack Obama had made a
last-minute call to President Zuma of South
Africa demanding that he prevent the return until
after the new round of presidential elections.
What did he think of this scene? Was he even watching?

Finally, it was possible for some of us to get in
the house. The people outside stayed and stayed,
pressed against the windows – and then left, but
not until cleaning the courtyard, picking up what had been dropped.

  Mildred Aristide greeted us at the door. “Isn’t
it beautiful out there?” she asked.

So many, in and outside of Haiti, had worked for
this moment. Not because Aristide is a savior or
can solve all the problems in Haiti. Not because
his return will end cholera, or bring the 1.5
million people out of those terrible earthquake
camps. This was a basic issue of justice and
self-determination. A democratically elected
president had been illegally removed from office
and banished from his homeland – and the majority
of Haitians never accepted his removal. They wanted him home.

Why?  Under
<http://www.haitisolidarity.net/downloads/We_Will_Not_Forget_2010.pdf>Lavalas
administrations, more schools were built than in
the entire history of Haiti. The government
opened 20,000 adult literacy centers,
prioritizing the education of women. Health
clinics sprung up in remote rural areas. A
powerful AIDS treatment and prevention program
was launched. The hated military was disbanded.
The minimum wage doubled. The tiny group of rich
people who have run Haiti forever were actually
asked to pay taxes – and, if they didn’t, their
names were read over the radio. The Aristide
administration demanded restitution from France
for the $21.7 billion that France had extorted
from Haiti as its price for Haiti’s abolition of
slavery. With the first payment on this debt in
1830, Haiti had to close its public school
system. Aristide raised the issue forcefully in
2003 and said that justice should be done.

Slowly, even as the Bush Administration blocked
needed loans, financed an elite opposition, and
organized paramilitary operations against the
government, Aristide was fulfilling his promise
to move the nation from “misery to poverty with
dignity.” It was a start, but an historic one.

At the January 1, 2004 bicentennial celebrations
of the Haitian Revolution, hundreds of thousands
of Haitians filled Port-au-Prince with banners
and flags celebrating the first black republic,
the only nation to successfully break the bonds
of slavery, raising five fingers to demand that
Aristide be able to serve his full five-year
term. They were poor, they were black, and they
knew that the movement they had fought so hard to
build was under frontal attack. As reported in
Randall Robinson’s book, An Unbroken Agony, his
wife, Hazel Robinson, looked out at the crowd and
commented on the power of the scene to the OAS
Ambassador sitting next to her.  “Well, he does
not have the support of the real people,” the OAS
official responded. “He has 80 to 90%, but they’re not the ones that matter.”

  For the U.S. government, these Haitians didn’t
matter. Unable to manufacture an “uprising”
against Aristide, the United States took direct
action on February 29th, swooping in special
operations forces and kidnapping – yes, that is
the word Haitians use to describe what happened –
the President and his wife Mildred, taking them
on a long journey to the desolate French
neo-colony of the Central African Republic. The long exile had begun.

Haiti solidarity activists denounced the coup. We
demonstrated, educated, and  organized,
attempting to counter the drumbeat of lies about
Aristide, the myth of his “resignation,” the
notion that “popular upheaval” had overthrown
him. And we sent delegations to Haiti, to learn
from grass roots organizers who were now under constant attack.

Visiting Haiti in late June of 2004, we watched
as the United Nations force (MINUSTAH), headed by
the government of Brazil, took over the military
occupation of the country from the troops of the
U.S., France and Canada. Now it was a
multilateral operation, like Iraq, like
Afghanistan – with the imprimatur of the United
Nations. A “peacekeeping force,” we were told.

Yet the people we met said the UN soldiers were
disrespectful and, at times, brutal – blue
helmeted soldiers pointing guns. We saw hundreds
of political prisoners locked up in overcrowded
cells with no water. We talked to people whose
houses had been burned in the Central Plateau. We
saw schools that had been destroyed, clinics
ransacked, the Medical School at the Aristide
Foundation taken over by UN troops and 247
medical students forced to flee their campus. And
we saw demonstrations – small ones in such a
dangerous time – demanding the release of political prisoners.

Father Gerard Jean-Juste, a legendary fighter for
human rights in Haiti, was still there, feeding
children at his church in St. Claire. He told us,
“I receive many death threats. But I will not
leave Haiti. I left under Duvalier, but they will
not force me out again.” He would later be
arrested and beaten in a church, and then
imprisoned – released only after developing the
leukemia that would lead to his death in 2009.

 From 2004-2006, MINUSTAH. in coordination with
Haiti’s coup government, launched
<http://haitiinformationproject.net/>search and
destroy operations to root out Lavalas bases in
Port-au-Prince and the surrounding areas.
According to a study published in The Lancet,
over 8000 deaths and 35,000 rapes (many thousands
committed by security forces) occurred during this period.

  A delegation from the San Francisco Bay Area
was in Haiti right after one of those raids. 350
heavily armed
<http://www.democracynow.org/2005/7/11/eyewitnesses_describe_massacre_by_un_troops>UN
forces had attacked the pro- Lavalas shantytown
of Cite Soleil. Sixty people were killed, houses
were destroyed, and bullet holes were everywhere.
The delegation took pictures, interviewed
residents, and came home. They went directly to
the offices of the The New York Times with all
their documentation. But The Times would not take
the story. The UN had told them it wasn’t true.

The presidential election of 2006 was held under
foreign military occupation. When Rene Preval,
who had been a Lavalas president after Aristide,
entered the campaign, the base of Lavalas swept
him into office. They believed that Preval would
bring back Aristide, would free the political
prisoners, and develop new economic and social initiatives for the poor.

Not much changed. Preval had developed strong
ties to the United States and the UN. He had no
interest in bringing back Aristide, and moved to
deepen the structural adjustment programs
(privatization of the telephone company, new
contracts for elite import-export barons, reduced
social investment) demanded by the international
authorities and the Haitian elite. The price of
rice and gas soared. There were more raids into
Cite Soleil. The U.S. State Department proclaimed that Haiti was “more stable.”

When we returned to Haiti in 2007, many Lavalas
organizers were through with Preval. They said it
plainly: “He’s in the arms of the Americans, he
does their bidding.” He had broken all
communication with the base that elected him.
Aristide had always talked to the people – and had always listened.

During our visit, we spent days with Lovinsky
Pierre-Antoine, a psychologist, Lavalas leader
and human rights activist. At a demonstration in
front of UN headquarters, he spoke on a small
bullhorn while French and U.S. military personnel
took pictures of him and the other protestors. He
called for a halt to privatization, an end to the
UN occupation, and the return of President
Aristide. Two weeks later, Lovinsky was kidnapped
and disappeared. Preval said nothing. The UN was
silent. There was no investigation.

By 2009, the Preval government had lost any
legitimacy among the poor in Haiti. As the cost
of food spiraled upward, thousands of Haitians
marched on the Presidential Palace. “Food riots,” the press called them.

Then the earthquake hit. We saw the terrifying
images of destruction, the 300,000 dead, the
unbearable conditions in the camps, the courage
and dignity with which Haitians faced the
impossible. Haiti touched hearts around the
world. But a devastating Haitian tragedy
presented opportunity for others. NGO’s
descended. Bill Clinton and George Bush announced
a joint fund and visited the country. The U.S.
took charge of the “reconstruction.”

Five months later, Haiti looked as if the quake
had hit the day before. We met with people in two
different camps. They spoke with urgency: “We
have received no aid from the United Nations or
the Red Cross since March.” “We need food.” “We
need work.” “The NGO’s pay themselves and give us
nothing.” “Preval does not care for us.” “Bill
Clinton is not our president.” “Titid must come home.”

<http://www.aristidefoundationfordemocracy.org/>The
Aristide Foundation, created in 1996 as a center
for grass roots social, educational and economic
development, was buzzing with activity. With no
government or NGO assistance, the Foundation was
doing what it could: setting up mobile health
clinics and schools in the refugee camps,
training mental health workers to provide “relief
for the spirit.” Young educators and activists
told us that their generation was “motivated,”
that they would do anything for Haiti. Fifteen
hundred people – three quarters of them women –
packed into the Foundation’s main auditorium for
a “Democratic Debate.” Women in and out of the
Foundation had passed around a petition to Barack
and Michelle Obama calling for Aristide’s return
and, within days,
<http://www.globalwomenstrike.net/content/sign-haitian-women%27s-petition-return-jean-bertrand-aristide-and-his-family>20,000
women had signed it. 10,000 Haitians took to the
streets in Port-au-Prince on July 15th,
Aristide's birthday.  The time had come.

Now Aristide has returned, in defiance of the
United States; brought home by his people and a
determined
<http://www.haitisolidarity.net/downloads/Miami%20Herald%20Ad%20Jan%202011.pdf>international
campaign.

The task is daunting. Barred from elections,
Lavalas has no representatives in the
legislature, and will have no official power
within the state. Partnering with the Haitian
elite, the U.S. is setting up sweatshops in the
Port-au-Prince area and preparing to dig up the
country’s mineral wealth. Bill Clinton co-chairs
an on-going Interim Haiti Recovery Commission,
sitting on over $10 billion. U.S. AID pours money
into U.S.-based NGO’s that pay more for staff
than for projects. Thirteen thousand UN soldiers
and police maintain a seemingly permanent foreign
occupation. Cholera – introduced to Haiti by UN
forces from Nepal – has spread. A Harvard/UCSF
study now predicts 800,000 cases. Marrtelly plans
to reestablish the military and sharpen the
attack on Lavalas. And his compatriot, Duvalier,
is there – a spectre haunting the country anew.

Still, the return means so much. The fundamental
goal of coups and  counter-insurgency is to sever
the connection between a popular movement and the
people, to destroy even the belief that
transformative social change is possible. At
Aristide’s house, in the streets of
Port-au-Prince, it was clear that the coup and
occupation have not been able to do this. Fueled
by a hard-won victory, grass roots organizers -
who have never stopped their work - have already
taken heart. There will be powerful initiatives
in education and health care, and the steady
incorporation of a new generation into a movement
that has bent but not broken. And a trusted voice
of the poor is now back, whatever may come.   In
his speech at the airport, as he and his family
re-touched Haitian soil, Aristide commented on
the undemocratic and exclusionary elections. He
focused on the need to include everyone in the
life of the country: “Every Haitian without
exception, because every person is a human being,
so the vote of every person counts.”

Visiting friends and family in New York a short
time after returning from Haiti, I had a chance
to meet with Haitian community organizers in
Brooklyn. I asked one woman, now an assistant
teacher in a second grade class, why she had
joined Lavalas. What struck her, she said, was
Aristide’s slogan, “Tout Moun Se Moun.” She
translated it as, “Every one, each person
counts.” And she said, “I am filled with joy that he is back home.”

Robert Roth is an educator and co-founder of the
Haiti Action Committee. He is also on the board
of the Haiti Emergency Relief Fund.