[News] Is the FBI Providing Material Support for Terrorists?

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sun Oct 10 10:24:28 EDT 2010

<http://seminal.firedoglake.com/diary/75832>Is
the FBI Providing Material Support for Terrorists?

By:
<http://seminal.firedoglake.com/diary/author/youmayberight/>youmayberight
Saturday October 9, 2010 8:01 pm
http://seminal.firedoglake.com/diary/75832

[Note: Minneapolis was the scene recently of FBI
raids on the homes of several antiwar activists.
Along with others in Chicago, they were
subpoenaed to appear before a grand jury
supposedly investigating material support of foreign terrorist organizations.]

Dear Minneapolis Federal Bureau of Investigation:

As you know from my previous communications to
your office, I am interested in accountability
for those who have violated the Federal Torture
Statute, 18 U.S.C. Secs. 2340-2340A. I know you
agree with this goal because the FBI admirably
refused to participate in the torture policy that
was put in place after September 11, 2001.

However, your refusal to investigate those who
may well be implicated in this policy causes me
some concern. First, we notified your office when
former National Security Advisor and Secretary of
State Condoleezza Rice, who has basically
confessed to conspiracy to torture, was in the
area. Nothing happened. We then informed you that
Robert Delahunty, whose memo advising that the
Geneva Conventions did not apply may have been
part of a conspiracy to torture, lives and works
in Minneapolis. Nothing happened. Lt. Gen.
Ricardo Sanchez, commander of U.S. forces in Iraq
at the time of the Abu Ghraib scandal, has said
that that decision with respect to the Geneva
Conventions "unleashed the hounds of hell."
Finally, as you no doubt know, John Yoo, whose
DOJ-renounced "torture memos" and other
admissions clearly implicate him in such a
conspiracy, was in town last week. Again, nothing happened.

Here is my concern. There is widespread agreement
that U.S.-committed torture may well add to the
ranks of terrorists. Former Secretary of Defense
Donald Rumsfeld asked the Chair of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff whether we were creating more
terrorists than we were killing. There is no
doubt he included in the causes of that scenario
the publicity about the torture we had committed.
President Obama has refused to release additional
photographs of Abu Ghraib atrocities because he
fears it would aid the terrorists. Many experts
across the political spectrum ­ inside and
outside the government, former and current agents
in the CIA and the FBI ­ agree that torture aids the terrorists.

Equally likely is that our refusal to investigate
and prosecute those we know have committed or
conspired to commit torture lends material
support to foreign terrorist organizations, which
is a violation of 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2339B. I
encourage you to remedy this situation by
instituting investigations of those who were
engaged in our "systematic regime of torture," as
Maj. Gen. Antonio Taguba called it. Otherwise, I
fear you may find yourselves subpoenaed to appear before the Grand Jury.

Sincerely,

Chuck Turchick