[News] Silvio Rodríguez on his upcoming Puerto Rican and US tour

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sun May 9 10:24:18 EDT 2010

Silvio Rodríguez on his upcoming Puerto Rican and US tour

Silvio Rodríguez on touring the United States:
“It’s not only breaking the blockade that has motivated me
”

Interview with Silvio Rodríguez by Rosa Miriam
Elizalde -
<http://www.cubadebate.cu/noticias/2010/05/07/silvio-rodriguez-de-gira-a-eeuu-entrevista-cubadebate/>Español

Translation: Machetera

Silvio Rodríguez will soon be touring Puerto Rico
and the United States.  It’s not the first time
that he’ll have visited both countries – refusing
to view Puerto Rican territory as a North
American estate – but this time the first hints
about of the trip were muted until the Daily News
in New York unearthed the news: the trova singer
will perform in Carnegie Hall on June 4th.

The Daily News called Silvio a “Cuban music
legend,” emphasizing that only living legends
perform at Carnegie Hall.  And it’s no
exaggeration.  Benny Goodman, Judy Garland,
Shirley Bassey, James Gang, Nina Simone, Stevie
Ray Vaughan
the Beatles in 1964
all have
performed there.  When the U.S. music industry
closed ranks under McCarthyism, the legendary
band The Weavers, with whom Pete Seeger sang,
found itself forced to break up in 1952.  The
musicians from The Weavers reunited again at
Carnegie Hall in 1955 and in 1980 they repeated
the performance in the same theatre, something
which served as the subject of the famous
prizewinning documentary “Wasn’t that a time.”

With the tour to Carnegie Hall and Puerto Rico
confirmed, his excellent performance in Segunda
Cita (Second Date) and the fact that we haven’t
seen him in concert for some time, it’s a scoop
that summons the inevitable desire to ask
questions: “I’ll answer them with pleasure, have
at it.  Don’t delay,” Silvio answered via
email.  The answers arrived a few hours later.

What is the program, who will accompany you and
what repertory will you present?  Will it be Segunda Cita?

My compañeros from more than five years will
accompany me: the trio  from Trovarroco, the
drummer and percussionist Oliver Valdés, and
Niurka González on flute and clarinet.  There
will be moments in which I’ll also perform solo
on guitar.  Out of necessity I’ll have to reprise
all my eras because it’s been 13 years since I’ve
been to Puerto Rico and 30 since I’ve been in the
United States.  I decided to include three pieces
from Segunda Cita: Sea señora, [Be a Woman] Carta
a Violeta Parra [Letter to Violeta Parra] and
Demasiado [Too Much]. The sound and production
crew that always accompany me at my concerts will
also go with us.  We’re rehearsing while we wait for the visa.

During your 1978 U.S. tour you wrote two songs,
“Leyenda” [Legend] dedicated to the Antonio Maceo
Brigade and “Tu imagen,” [Your Image] an
evocation of absent love that all Silvio fans
know by heart.  Why these songs there and not somewhere else?

The Antonio Maceo Brigade, made up of young
emigrant Cubans, some of whom were victims of
Operation Peter Pan, and the Venceremos Brigade
made up of U.S. citizens, were responsible for
that first visit of mine.  My closeness with the
young really enthusiastic Cubans brought forth
“Leyenda.”  It was the summer of 1978 in New
York.  I spent those days in an apartment
building on New York’s East Side, where my sister
Maria lived, who at the time was married to our
ambassador to the U.N., Raúl Roa Kourí.  Looking
out of those windows onto the Hudson River I
composed the two songs.  “Tu imagen” appeared one
morning upon awakening, and it refers to the
impossible history of those New York days.

What memories do you have of the trip you made
with Pablo Milanés to that country in 1980?  Did
you ever imagine that it would be three decades before  your return?

It was February and it was said at the time that
it hadn’t snowed so much for fifty years.  I
thought then that the same thing happens in cold
countries as in hot ones: in Cuba you often hear
that it has never been so hot since such and such
a year.  But for sure, the night that we were
going to sing at the Brooklyn Academy of Music
(BAM) the snow set us back two hours.  At the
University of Massachusetts where we were sharing
the program with Duke Ellington’s band, it was
dreadfully cold.  Same thing in Poughkeepsie,
Pete Seeger’s hometown.  I remember too that we
visited Orlando Letelier’s widow and
children.  We also became acquainted with the
children of the Rosenbergs, who continued to
defend their parents’ dignity.  The open-air
museum in Washington is marvelous.  And in New
York, the Metropolitan and of course MOMA, where
we saw Picasso’s Guernica and Lam’s La
Jungla.  And just to make you laugh, Christopher
Reeve in Superman which had just premiered; I saw
it with a bag of popcorn in one hand and a
Coca-Cola in the other.  Since I went twice
nearly back to back to the United States (during
the Carter years) I never imagined that the
future would be so difficult.  And also
considering that I was a lot more politically pointed then than now.

According to Joseba Sanz’s book*, the New York
press picked up on your remarks regarding the
reasons that brought you to the United States in
1978.  “We helped to break the blockade, not just
economic and commercial, but cultural, imposed by
Washington on Cuba.”  What would you say today,
32 years later, to the same question that provoked this response?

Now as much as then, it’s not only been breaking
the blockade that has motivated me.  The United
States is one of the most mythologized countries
in the world, and what’s worse, we’re only 120
kilometers away and as we know, it’s ever-present
in our lives.  All that makes it plenty
interesting, and I’m nothing more than a simple
mortal.  On the other hand, more and more people
believe that the blockade ought to end and
everyone pushes a little where they can, from
wherever they are.  It’s a push that happens from
very diverse points of view but undoubtedly
there’s a place where the underpinnings of
political positions coincide.  I believe that the
end of the blockade will mean well-being not only
for Cubans but for the world, because the
blockade continues to be one of the most
inexplicable aggressions dragging on from the
history of the last century.  And of course, I
believe that U.S. leaders themselves will feel
quite a bit of relief when at last they can rid
themselves of this zone of their own intolerance.

There’s a well-known legend in New York that
goes: “Whoever sings in Carnegie Hall stands in
History, anchored by excellence.”  But this also
reminds me of the phrase by Mario Benedetti:
“Silvio was never a myth; he doesn’t travel with
a pedestal on his back.”  How will you present yourself on that stage?

The first time I was in New York, I passed in
front of Carnegie Hall.  There was a young
flautist sitting on the front steps with a small
music stand, playing what seemed to me like music
from Mozart.  There was such a delicacy in the
execution and sound that I thought, “This ought
to be played inside there.”  Maybe he chose that
spot so that pedestrians would think that, but
nevertheless he was good.  For more than 30
years, at times, I’ve wondered what became of
that boy.  I hope he made it, I hope that all of
us achieve what we deserve, by which I don’t mean
to say that only prizewinners are
worthy.  Whatever I am, on any stage you’ll see
me busy with the same things: working so that we
musicians hear each other well in order to be
able to communicate well together, and so that
the public hears what we hope they’ll hear.

You’ll find yourself in a United States shaken by
Arizona’s Anti-Immigrant Law, by the pathetic Tea
Party brotherhood, by a pretend bomb defused last
week in Manhattan, by a Wall Street so weak that
it practically collapsed this Thursday over a
simple spelling error.  Aside from Lennon, how
much of the utopia is definitively broken in that
country and how much of its imagination?

What’s happening in Arizona has awakened
universal revulsion, and for good
reason.  Putting any kind of bomb in New York
seems to me to be unacceptable savagery, just as
I think of bombs in Baghdad, Moscow or in Havana.
Certainly capitalism seems to be shuddering
although those who know about economics like to
say that it’ll still recover.  I don’t know if
I’m saying something barbaric, but it seems that
the non plus ultra of capitalism, stock market
speculation, tends to develop into a kind of
self-destructive cancer.  There is a Catalan
economist, Santiago Niño-Becerra, who says that
the system is worn out and without a doubt is going down.

Have you considered performing in Florida?  Would
you accept an invitation to perform in Miami?

We might actually perform somewhere in Florida,
although we’ve not planned on Miami.  I know that
the majority of the Cubans who live there are not
as they are portrayed in their media and I’m so sorry about that.

This tour will start in Puerto Rico, once again with Roy Brown?

Well, if Roy or another compañero wants to
perform, as far as I’m concerned, they’re
welcome.  Until now we’re prepared to fully
produce the concerts but it’s not unthinkable
that we’d add other voices.  For example, if we
end up somewhere in Florida, I’d invite my old
trova compañero Carlos Gómez, who lives and sings there.

You said that when you thought of Puerto Rico,
you didn’t see an island, but something else.  What exactly?

I don’t remember that.  What I said recently is
that in my letters I have Puerto Rico among the
Latin American countries and the United States in its own place.

Among your unedited songs from the 1960’s which
you published in Cancionero (2008), there’s an
anguished secret contained within “Defensa del
trovador” [A Troubadour’s Defense]: “
singing is
difficult/because the truth must be wanted/much
more than the song itself.”  Is it still
difficult for Silvio Rodríguez to sing?

To begin with, singing is difficult because it
means to do something that I consider
exceptional, at least in my case.  The secret
that you mention shows that early on I’d
understood that I didn’t sing just for the sound
of it but in order to say something.  Obviously
that assumption has a cost.  The anguish comes
because it suggests that there are consequences
for singing that which may not be pleasing to
hear.  This is a song that I wrote when I was
22.  I won’t say that the trova I’ve done since
then has been epic, but it has been risky.  Much
more risky than that which any sixty-year old
could manage with any success.  Those who find it
difficult to sing today are guys like Los
Aldeanos and Silvito el libre. Probably they need
to go deeper in certain respects, but it seems
essential to me to start by defending their right
to express themselves.  That’s precisely because
I identify with the Silvio of the ‘60’s.

*Joseba Sanz: Silvio: Memoria trovada de una Revolución (1991)

Machetera is a member of
<http://www.tlaxcala.es/>Tlaxcala, the
international network of translators for
linguistic diversity. This translation may be
reprinted as long as the content remains
unaltered, and the author and translator are cited.