[News] Activists Occupy Central Durban

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Mar 24 14:23:40 EDT 2010

Abahlali basemjondolo Occupy Central Durban for
the First Time Since the Attacks in September Last Year

Submitted by <http://libcom.org/user/red-jack>red jack on Mar 23 2010 08:53

Around 3 000 Abahlali baseMjondolo (ABM) members
braved serious intimidation from the intelligence
services, local party goons and the notoriously
violent South African Police to occupy downtown
Durban yesterday - which was the South African
public holiday in honour of 'Human Rights'.

The notoriously authoritarian Durban City
Manager, Mike Sutcliffe (who calls himself a
Marxist), had first tried to ban the march with
an illegal diktat. AbM promised to march in
defiance of the ban forcing Sutcliffe to
compromise. He then 'allowed' them to march
through the periphery of the City. They went to
court to contest this restriction of their right
to protest but lost on a technicality. But
yesterday they set off on the route that they had
originally intended to take and were able to
occupy the main streets and the downtown area in
violation of both Sutcliffe and the court.
However they could not get past the huge and
armed police presence cutting them off from the
City Hall. But the comrades in Durban are
thrilled - they have shown the ANC that they have
not been defeated by the attack on the movement
in September last year and the incredible
intimidation and repression that followed the
violence by a state backed party militia.

A Memorandum of Demands to President Jacob Zuma
Monday, 22 March 2010 14, 2005

We, members and supporters of Abahlali
baseMjondolo and the Rural Network in the
province of KwaZulu-Natal, are democrats
committed to the flourishing of this country. We
speak for ourselves and direct our own struggles.
We have no hidden agendas. We have been mobilised
by our suffering and our hopes for a better life.
We believe that it is time to take seriously the
fact that South Africa belongs to all who live in it.

We come from the townships of Inanda, KwaMashu
and Lamontville. We come from the farms in
eNkwalini, New Hanover, Howick, KwaNjobokazi,
Melmoth, Utrecht, Babanango and eShowe. We come
from the flats of Hillary, Portview, Ridge View
(Cato Manor), Wentworth and New Dunbar. We come
from the shacks of Joe Slovo, Foreman Road, Clare
Estate, Palmiet Road, Quarry Road, Motala
Heights, Siyanda, Umkhumbane, New eMmaus, Pemary
Ridge, Arnett Drive, Lindelani, Richmond Farm
and, yes, Kennedy Road. We come from the transit
camps of Richmond Farm, eNsimbini, Ridge View
(Transact Camp), Cato Manor and New Dunbar.

We are all agreed that there is a serious crisis
in our country. The poor are being pushed out of
any meaningful access to citizenship. We are
becoming poorer. We are being forced off our land
and out of our cities. The councillor system has
become a form of top down political control. It
does not take our voices upwards. The democracy
that we won in 1994 is turning into a new system of oppression for the poor.

We are all agreed that this country is rich
because of the theft of our land and because of
our work in the farms, mines, factories, kitchens
and laundries of the rich. That wealth is
therefore also our wealth. We are all agreed that
the democratic gains that were won in 1994 were
won by the struggles of the people and that we,
the poor, are part of the people. Those victories
are therefore also our victories. We are all
agreed that we can not and will not continue to
suffer in the way that we do. We are all agreed
that we can not and will not give up our hopes
for a better life and a fair world.

We have had meetings in all of our areas to
discuss this march. Each area has developed its
own set of demands which we are presenting to
you. We have also taken all the demands that are
common to many areas and put them together into
this statement of our collective demands. We
offer it to you as a statement of our demands. We
also proclaim it to ourselves and to the world as
a charter for the next phase of our struggle.

For too long we have been subject to evictions
from our homes, be they in shack settlements or
farms. These evictions are often unlawful, they
are often violent and they often leave the poor
destitute. Therefore we demand an immediate end
to all evictions so that we can live in peace and with security.

For too long our communities have survived in
substandard and informal housing. Therefore, we
demand decent housing so that we can live in safety, health and dignity.

For too long those of us living in shacks have
suffered without enough water and without
toilets, electricity, refuse collection and
drainage. Therefore we demand decent social
services in all our communities so that we can
live in safety, health and dignity.

For too long many of those of us who are formally
connected to water and electricity have not been
able to afford the costs of these services and
face disconnection. Therefore we demand that
these services be made free for the poor.

For too long the promise of housing has been
downgraded to forced removal to a transit camp.
These transit camps are more like prisons than
homes. If they are ‘delivery’ then they are the
delivery of the people into oppression. Therefore
we demand an immediate and permanent end to all
transit camps so that the dignity of the people
that have been taken to the camps can be immediately restored.

For too long the housing that has been built has
been built in human dumping grounds far outside
of the cities and far from work, schools, clinics
and libraries. Therefore we demand immediate
action to release well located land for public
housing. Where necessary land must be
expropriated for this purpose. The social value
of urban land must be put before its commercial value.

For too long people that are already languishing
in human dumping grounds have been unable to
access the cities. Therefore we demand the
immediate provision of safe and reliable
subsidised public transport to these areas.

For too long there has been rampant corruption in
the construction and allocation of housing in
transit camps, RDP housing and social housing.
Therefore we demand complete transparency in the
construction and allocation of all housing and an
immediate end to corruption. We demand, in
particular, a full and transparent audit into all
the activities of the social housing company
SOCHO – including its CEO, general manager and
board of directors. We demand a similar audit
into all the activities of Nandi Mandela and her associates.

For too long poor flat dwellers have suffered
from unaffordable and exploitative rents.
Therefore we demand the writing off of all
arrears and the institution of an affordable flat rate for all.

For too long the poor have been forced to sign
exploitative rental agreements under duress and
threat of eviction. Therefore we demand the
cancellation and collective renegotiation of all
rental agreements signed under duress.

For too long farm dwellers have suffered the
impoundment of their cattle, demolition of their
homes, the denial of the right to burry their
loved ones on the land, the denial of basic
service and brutality, and sometimes even murder,
at the hands of some farmers. The bias that the
justice system has towards the rich has meant
that it has systematically undermined farm
dwellers. Therefore we demand immediate and
practical action to secure the rights of farm dwellers.

For too long a fair distribution and use of rural
land has been made impossible by the fact that
land –a gift from God – has been turned into a
commodity. Therefore we demand immediate steps to
put the social value of rural land before its commercial value.

For too long the attack on our movement, its
leaders and well known members, their family
members and its offices in the Kennedy Road
settlement in September last year has received
the full backing of the local party and
government structures. Therefore we demand

• a serious, comprehensive and credible
investigation into the attack and its subsequent
handling by the local party and government
structures. This must include a full
investigation into the role of the South African Police Services.
• the right to return for all the victims of the
attack, including the Kennedy Road Development
Committee and all its sub-committees. This right
must be backed up with high level protection for
the security of all the residents of the settlement.
• full compensation for everyone who lost their
homes, possessions and livelihoods in the attack.
• a full and public apology by Willies Mchunu for
the attack and its subsequent handling.
• the immediate release of those members of the
Kennedy 13 who are still being held in detention.
• that immediate steps be taken to ensure that
Willies Mchunu, Nigel Gumede and Yakoob Baig are
not allowed to interfere in any police or
judicial processes resulting from the attack.

For too long our communities have been ravaged by
the cruelest forms of poverty. Therefore we
demand the creation of well-paying and dignified jobs.

For too long the right to education has been
reserved for the rich. Therefore we demand free education for the poor.

For too long we have not been safe from criminals
and violence. We are especially concerned about
the lack of safety for women in our communities.
Therefore we demand immediate practical action to
secure the safety of everyone and, in particular, the safety of women.

For too long the poor have been turned against
the poor. Therefore we demand an immediate end to
all forms of discrimination against isiXhosa
speaking people (amamPondo) and people born in other countries.

For too long the legal system has been biased
against the poor. Therefore we demand serious
practical action to ensure that access to justice
is no longer distorted by access to money.

For too long the councillor system has been used
to control the people from above and to stifle
their voices. Therefore we demand the immediate
recognition of the right of all people to, if
they so wish, organise themselves outside of
party structures in freedom and safety.

Furthermore, just as people from around the city,
the province and the country are uniting in
support of our struggle we express our support
for our comrades elsewhere. We have stood with,
and will continue to stand with our comrades in
Wentworth, our comrades in the Poor People’s
Alliance and struggling communities and movements
across the country. We thank everyone who has
demonstrated solidarity with our struggle
including church leaders, students and our
comrades in other countries. We will do our best
to offer the same support to your struggles.

Sunday, 21 March 2010 – Human Rights Day
Abahlali baseMjondolo Press Release

Sutcliffe’s Dirty Tricks Will Not Keep Us from Marching in Our City Tomorrow

Our political rights are always taken from us with technical arguments.

When we are evicted we are always told that it is
because the land is ‘too steep’, the soil is ‘not
right’ and so on. Of course once our shacks are
demolished flats or businesses for the rich are
quickly built on the same land that we were told was ‘unsafe’ for us.

When we are denied bail we are always told that
it is because the police ‘need time to complete
their investigations’, or even to ‘type documents.’ This is how it goes.

Technical arguments are always used against us
because it is assumed that technical questions
can only be answered by experts. The state has
their own experts on their payroll and so by
making important social questions into problems
to be resolved by experts they seize the right to
answer these questions on their own – they expel
the people from any chance to debate these
questions. The Freedom Charter said that ‘the
people will govern’. It didn’t say that the
experts will govern. It didn’t say that there
will be democracy if the city managers decide to allow it.

Today we went to court to ask the judge to
interdict Sutcliffe against his attempt to limit
our right to protest by keeping us away from the
City Hall and the main streets. We have won
similar cases against Sutcliffe twice before. But
this time the City played a dirty trick. They
told the court that they could not allow us to
march through the main streets and to the City
Hall because the City Hall is being repaired and
it would be ‘dangerous’ for us to come too close
to it. They argued that our basic political
rights could be stolen from us because of a technical issue.

Our lawyer pointed out that yesterday SADTU
marched to the City Hall. Their response was that
Abahlali baseMjondolo is a mass movement and that
our march will be much bigger than the march
organised by SADTU. This is true but it remains
clear that the repairs to the City Hall are just
being used as an excuse to prevent us from
protesting freely in our own city. We would have
been happy to keep a safe distance from the
building. Anyway even if it was dangerous to come
close to the City Hall that would not make it
dangerous for us to protest in the main streets.

Unfortunately the judge allowed the City to use a
technical argument to take away a basic
democratic right. We have asked our lawyers to
explore the option of launching an urgent appeal first thing tomorrow morning.

But irrespective of the outcome of that legal
process we will be marching tomorrow. The
marchers will decide, democratically, when we are
all together, how to respond to this attack on
our basic political rights. But one thing that we
are very clear on is that amandla remains with
us. We go to court to confirm the rights that
have been won in prior struggles but we are very
clear that the only real defence for these
rights, and the only way to win new rights, is
through the power of the organised poor. For
example everyone can see that organised
communities are not evicted. Unorganised
communities are evicted, illegally, every day.

Many of us spent today with our comrades in the
Rural Network in eNkwalini where farm dwellers
who have been subject to a reign of terror by a
farmer called Mark Channel mourned Human Rights
Day. Their homes have been demolished, they have
been shot and their cattle have been impounded.
They live on this land but they do not live in
any Republic of South Africa. They live outside
of the protection of human rights and the law. We
spent the day listening as they shared their
stories. It is clear that from the flats to the
shacks and the farms there is no place for the poor in this democracy.

Sutcliffe has decided to protect the name of the
City Hall by using dirty tricks to keep us away
from it – to keep our protests as hidden as a
transit camp. But tomorrow we will be coming into
the city from the townships, the farms, the
flats, the shacks and the transit camps. We will
be coming into the city from the townships of
Inanda, KwaMashu and Lamontville. We will be
coming into the city from the farms in eNkwalini,
New Hanover, Howick, KwaMjolokazi, Melmoth,
Utrecht, Baba Nango and eShowe. We will be coming
into the city from the flats of Hillary, Russell
Street, Mayville, Wentworth and Dunbar. We will
be coming into the city from the shacks of Joe
Slovo, Foreman Road, Clare Estate, Palmiet Road,
Quarry Road, Motala Heights, Siyanda, Umkhumbane,
New eMmaus, Pemary Ridge, Arnett Drive and, yes,
Kennedy Road. We will be coming into the city
from the transit camps of Richmond Farm,
eNsimbini, Ridge View, Cato Manor and New Dunbar.
We will be joined by representatives of some
churches and NGOs. All of these struggling
communities will bring their own demands to Jacob
Zuma. We will also issue our collective demands to Jacob Zuma.

Many journalists have been phoning us and asking
if our ‘service delivery protest’ will be going
ahead tomorrow. We appreciate the interest of the
media but we really want to stress that this will
not ‘be a service delivery protest’. We have
never organised ‘a service delivery protest.’ In
fact our first marches were to announce that we
rejected top down rule by the councillors and
that we would, as we have done for the last five
years, begin to rule ourselves. The language in
which people’s struggles are turned into ‘service
delivery protests’ is a language that has been
imposed on our struggles from outside – it is not
our language. Of course we are struggling for
land and housing, water and electricity. But we
do not accept the limited way in which these
‘services’ are ‘delivered’. Often an important
part of our struggles is to reject that the way
that services are delivered. For example we do
not accept transit camps. We are struggling for
the full recognition and realisation of our
humanity in a society that denies our humanity at
every turn. We are struggling for real equality.
We are struggling so that the world that God gave
to humanity is shared fairly by all of us. To
call our struggles ‘service delivery protests’ is
a way of making them safe for our oppressors.

We appeal to the media, and to other groups too,
like academics, NGOs and churches, to please
exercise an important discipline when talking
about struggling communities and movements. That
discipline is a simple one but it is a very
important one. That discipline is to speak to
people before speaking about them or for them. As
we have said so many times before we are poor in
life, not in mind. If you want to know why we are
struggling just ask us and we will tell you. If
you want to know why people are protesting in
Mamelodi, Orange Farm or anywhere in the country
you don’t need researchers or analysts or spies – you just need to ask them.

We have a clear message for all those who believe
that they have a natural right to rule the poor
from above be they in government, civil society
or the left. We have a clear message for all
those big men like Willies Mchunu, Michael
Sutcliffe or Ashwin Desai who believe that they
have the right to ruin any organisation of the
poor that they cannot rule. Our message is this:

We have been evicted, forcibly removed, beaten,
slandered, publicly threatened with death,
arrested, jailed, tortured and driven from our
homes. Some of us have lost everything that we
ever owned in this world. But we will not give
up. We will not be turned against each other. We
will work and work and work to unite the poor
against the politicians and the rich. The problem
in this society is the deep political
disempowerment of the poor and we will solve this
problem by organising ourselves to build our
political power. Struggle is hard and it is
dangerous. But struggle is the only way to defend
our humanity and the humanity of our children. We
have a deep responsibility to continue with this
struggle until we achieve real equality and a fair sharing of this world.

The march will be supported, with a physical
presence, by the Rural Network and the South
Durban Community Environmental Alliance. It will
also be supported, without a physical presence,
by our comrades in the Poor People’s Alliance –
Abahlali baseMjondolo Western Cape, the Western
Cape Anti-Eviction Campaign and the Landless People’s Movement in Gauteng.

For more information on the march please contact:

S’bu Zikode, Abahlali baseMjondolo President: 083 547 0474
Troy Morrow, Chairperson of the Abahlali
baseMjondolo Hillary Branch and march convenor: 071 511 8446
Zodwa Nsibande, Abahlali baseMjondolo General Secretary: 082 830 2707

Representatives of the following organisations
that will be in solidarity with Abahlali
baseMjondolo can also be contacted for comment:

Reverened Mavuso Mbhekeseni, Rural Network: 072 279 2634
Des D’sa, South Durban Community Environmental Alliance: 083 982 6939
Ashraf Cassiem, Western Cape Anti-Eviction Campaign: 082 337 4514
Mzonke Poni, Abahlali baseMjondolo of the Western Cape: 073 256 2036
Maureen Mnisi, Landless People’s Movement (Gauteng): 082 337 4514

Abahlali baseMjondolo Press Release
Friday, 19 March 2010