[News] Israel's "No Renting to Arabs" Policy

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Mar 23 11:43:51 EDT 2010

http://www.counterpunch.org/cook03232010.html
March 23, 2010

Jewish Couple Loses Court Battle to Help Bedouin Friends

Israel's "No Renting to Arabs" Policy

By JONATHAN COOK

Nevatim.

The Zakai and Tarabin families should be a
picture of happy coexistence across the ethnic
divide, a model for others to emulate in Israel.

But Natalie and Weisman Zakai say the past three
years -- since the Jewish couple offered to rent
their home to Bedouin friends, Ahmed and Khalas
Tarabin -- have been a living hell.

“I have always loved Israel,” said Mrs Zakai, 43.
“But to see the depth of the racism of our
neighbours has made me question why we live in this country.”

Three of the couple’s six dogs have been
mysteriously poisoned; Mrs Zakai’s car has been
sprayed with the words ”Arab lover” and the
windows smashed; her three children in school are
regularly taunted and bullied by other pupils;
and a collection of vintage cars in the family’s
yard has been set on fire in what police say was an arson attack.

To add to these indignities, the Zakais have
spent three years and thousands of dollars
battling through the courts against the elected
officials of their community of Nevatim, in
Israel’s southern Negev desert, who have said
they are determined to keep the Tarabins from moving in.

Last week the Zakais’ legal struggle looked like
it had run out of steam. The
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745327540/counterpunchmaga>
[]
supreme court told the two families the Tarabins
should submit to a vetting committee of local
officials to assess their suitability – a
requirement that has never been made before by
the Negev community in the case of a family seeking to rent a home.

“The decision of the committee is a foregone conclusion,” Mr Tarabin said.

Chances for Jews and Arabs to live together --
outside of a handful of cities -- are all but
impossible because Israel’s rural communities are
strictly segregated, said Alaa Mahajneh, a lawyer representing the Zakais.

Israel has nationalised 93 per cent of the
country’s territory, confining most of its 1.3
million Arab citizens, one-fifth of the
population, to 120 or so communities that existed
at the time of the state’s creation in 1948.

Meanwhile, more than 700 rural communities,
including Nevatim, have remained exclusively
Jewish by requiring that anyone who wants to buy
a home applies to local vetting committees, which
have been used to weed out Arab applicants.

But Mr Mahajneh, from the Adalah legal centre for
the Arab minority, noted that legal sanction for
such segregation was supposed to have ended a
decade ago, when the supreme court backed an Arab
couple, the Kaadans, who had been barred by a
committee from the community of Katzir in northern Israel.

Although the Kaadans were eventually allowed to
move into Katzir, the case has had little wider effect.

In fact, Mr Mahajneh said, the decision in the
Zakais’ case suggests “we’re going backwards”.
The Kaadans won the right to buy a home in a
Jewish community, whereas the Tarabin family were
seeking only a short-term rental of the Zakais’ home.

The Zakais said they had been told by the
officials of Nevatim, a community of 650 Jews a
few kilometres from the city of Beersheva, that
it would not be a problem to rent out their home.

Mrs Zakai brought the Tarabins’ ID cards to the
community’s offices for routine paperwork. “When
I handed in the IDs, the staff looked at the card
and said, ‘But they’re Muslims’.” Later,
according to Mrs Zakai, the council head, Avraham
Orr, rang to say he Arabs would be accepted in Nevatim “over my dead body”.

Several weeks later, Mrs Zakai said, two
threatening men came to their door and warned
them off renting to Arabs. Soon afterwards 36
cars belonging to Mr Zakai, who has a used car business, were set on fire.

Then behind the Zakais’ back, Nevatim went to a
local magistrate’s court to get an order
preventing them from renting their home. The
couple have been battling the decision ever since.

Mr Mahajneh said the Tarabins had accommodated a
series of “extraordinary conditions” imposed by
Nevatim on the rental agreement, including
certificates of good conduct from the police, a
commitment to leave after a year, and limited
access to the house’s extensive grounds.

But still Nevatim officials were dissatisfied,
insisting in addition that the Tarabins submit to
questioning by a vetting committee to assess
their suitability. Although 40 other homes in
Nevatim are rented, Mr Mahajneh said testimonies
from past members of the vetting committee showed
that this was the first time such a demand had been made.

“It is true that anyone buying a property in
Nevatim is supposed to be vetted by the
committee, but there is no reference in the
community’s bylaws to this condition for renters,” Mr Mahajneh said.

In 2008, a district court judge in Beersheva
overruled Nevatim’s new condition, arguing that
the vetting requirement would be “unreasonable
and not objective”. The supreme court judges,
however, sided with Nevatim in their concluding statements on March 10.

Mrs Zakai said they had offered to rent their
home to the Tarabins after the Bedouin couple’s
home burnt down in their village in early 2007,
killing one of their 10 children. The Tarabins
have been living with relatives ever since,
unable to afford a new home and keen to move away from the site of the tragedy.

Mr Tarabin, 54, said: “I want Khalas to rest and
heal and this place would have been perfect for
her. The house has large grounds and we could
have kept to ourselves. No one in Nevatim needs
to have anything to do with us if they don’t want.”

A Nevatim resident who spoke anonymously to the
Haaretz newspaper last week suggested reasons for
the community’s opposition: “If tomorrow the
entire Tarabin tribe wants to live here and we
don’t agree, what will people say? The problem
will start after the first one comes because then
dozens more families will want to move here.”

The close friendship forged between the Zakais
and Tarabins is rare in Israel. The privileged
status of Jews legally and economically, communal
segregation and the hostility provoked by a
larger national conflict between Israel and the
Palestinians ensure that Jewish and Arab citizens
usually remain at arm’s length.

But Mr Zakai, 53, whose parents emigrated from
Iraq and who speaks fluent Arabic, befriended Mr
Tarabin in the late 1960s when they were
teenagers in Beersheva. Later they served
together in the Israeli army as mechanical engineers.

Mrs Zakai said: “If Jews were being denied the
right to live somewhere, it would be a scandal,
but because our friends are Arabs no one cares.”

Avraham Orr, the Nevatim council head, denied
that he was opposing the Tarabins’ admission
because they are Arab. “There are rules,” he
said. “Every family that wants to buy or rent a
property must first go through the committee.”

Fearful of the implications of the Kaadan ruling,
Jewish communities in the Galilee unveiled a new
approach to barring Arab applicants last year.
They introduced bylaws amounting to loyalty oaths
that require applicants to pledge to support
“Zionism, Jewish heritage and settlement of the land”.

Jonathan Cook is a writer and journalist based in
Nazareth, Israel. His latest books are
“<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745327540/counterpunchmaga>Israel
and the Clash of Civilisations: Iraq, Iran and
the Plan to Remake the Middle East” (Pluto Press)
and
“<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1848130317/counterpunchmaga>Disappearing
Palestine: Israel's Experiments in Human Despair”
(Zed Books). His website is <http://www.jkcook.net>www.jkcook.net.