[News] Eyewitness to the Israeli Assault on the Mavi Marmara

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jun 16 13:09:17 EDT 2010

http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff06162010.html

June 16, 2010

What Kevin Neish Saw

Eyewitness to the Israeli Assault on the Mavi Marmara

By DAVE LINDORFF

Kevin Neish of Victoria, British Columbia, didn’t
know he was a celebrity until he was about to
board a flight from Istanbul to Ottawa. “This
Arab woman wearing a beautiful outfit suddenly
ran up to me crying, ‘It’s you! From Arab TV!
You’re famous!’” he recalls with a laugh. “I
didn’t know what she was talking about, but she
told me, ‘I saw you flipping through the Israeli
commando’s book! It’s being aired over and over!’”

A soft-spoken teacher and former civilian
engineer with the Canadian Department of Defense,
Neish realized then that a video taken by an Arab
TV cameraman in the midst of the Israeli assault
on the Freedom Flotilla to Gaza of him flipping
through a booklet had been transmitted before the
Israelis blocked all electronic signals from the
flotilla. The booklet had pictures and profiles
of all the passengers, and he'd found it in the
backpack of an Israeli Defense Force commando.

Neish, 53, was on the second deck of the
flotilla’s lead ship, the Turkish Mavi Marmara,
with a good view of the stern, when the IDF, in
the early morning darkness of May 31, began its
assault with percussion grenades, tear gas and a
hail of bullets. He then moved to the fourth deck
in an enclosed stairwell, from which he watched
took photographs as casualties were carried down
past him to a makeshift medical station. Several
IDF commandos, captured by the passengers and crew, were also brought past him.

“I saw them carrying this one IDF guy down,” he
recalls. “He looked terrified, like he thought he
was going to be killed. But when a big Turkish
guy, who had seen seriously injured passengers
who had been shot by the IDF, charged over and
tried to hit the commando, the Turkish aid
workers pushed him off and pinned him to the
wall. They protected this Israeli soldier.”

That was when he found the backpack which the
soldier had dropped. “I figured I’d look inside
and see what he was carrying,” Neish says. “And
inside was this kind of flip-book. It was full of
photos and names in English and Hebrew of who was
on all the ships. The booklet also had a detailed
diagram of the decks of the Mavi Marmara.”

Meanwhile, he says, more and more people were
being carried down the stairs from the mayhem
above­people who'd been shot, and people who were
dying or people already dead. “I took detailed
photos of the dead and wounded with my camera,”
he says, adding, “There were several guys who had
two neat bullet holes side by side on the side of
their head--clearly they were executed.”

Neish smuggled his photos out of Israel to Turkey
despite his arrest on the ship and imprisonment
in Israel for several days. “I pulled out the
memory card, tossed my camera and anything I had
on me that had anything to do with electronics,
and then kept moving the chip around so it
wouldn’t be found,” he says. “The Israelis took
all the cameras and computers. They were smashing
some and keeping others. I put the chip in my
mouth under my tongue, between my butt cheeks, in
my sock, everywhere, to keep them from finding
it,” he says. He finally handed it to a Turk who
was leaving for a flight home on a Turkish
airline. He says the card ended up in the hands
of an organization called Free Gaza, and he has
seen some of his pictures published, so he knows they made it out successfully.

Neish says that claims that the Israeli commandos
were just armed with paint guns and 9 mm pistols
are “Bullshit--at one point when I was in the
stairwell, a commando opened a hatch above, stuck
in a machine gun, and started firing. Bullets
were bouncing all over the place. If the guy had
gotten to look in and see where he was shooting,
I’d have been dead, but two Turkish guys in the
stairwell, who had short lengths of chain with
them that they had taken from the access points
to the lifeboats, stood to the side of the hatch
and whipped them up at the barrell. I don’t know
if they were trying to hit the commando or to use
them to snatch away the gun, but the Israeli
backed off, and they slammed and locked the hatch.”

“I never saw a single paint gun, or a sign of a fired paint ball!” he says.
He also didn't see any guns in the hands of
people who were on the ship. “In the whole time I
was there on the ship, I never saw a single
weapon in the hands of the crew or the aid
workers,” he says. Indeed, Neish, who originally
had been on a smaller 70-foot yacht called the
Challenger II, had transferred to the Mavi
Marmara after a stop in Cyprus, because his boat
had been sabatoged by Israeli agents (a claim
verified by the Israeli government), making it
impossible to steer. “When we came aboard the big
boat, I was frisked and my bag was inspected for
weapons,” he says. “Being an engineer, I of
course had a pocket knife, but they took that and
tossed it into the ocean. Nobody was allowed to
have any weapons on this voyage. They were very careful about that.”

What he did see during the IDF assault was severe
bullet wounds. “In addition to several people I
saw who were killed, I saw several dozen wounded
people. There was one older guy who was just
propped up against the wall with a huge hole in
his chest. He died as I was taking his picture.”

Neish says he saw many of the 9 who were known to
have been killed, and of the 40 who were wounded,
and adds, “There were many more who were wounded,
too, but less seriously. In the Israeli prison, I
saw people with knife wounds and broken bones.
Some were hiding their injuries so they wouldn’t
be taken away from the others.” He also says,
“Initially there were reports that 16 on the boat
had been killed. The medical station said 16.
There was a suspicion that some bodies may have
been thrown overboard. But what people think now
is that the the other seven who are missing,
since we’re not hearing from families, may have been Israeli spies.”

Once the Israeli commandos had secured control of
the Mavi Marmara, Neish says the ship’s
passengers and crew were rounded up, with the men
put in one area on deck, and the women put below
in another area. The men were told to squat, and
had their hands bound with plastic cuffs, which
Neish says were pulled so tight that his wrists
were cut and his hands swelled up and turned
purple (he is still suffering nerve damage from
the experience, which his doctor in Canada says
he hopes will gradually repair on its own).

“They told us to be quiet,” he says. “But at one
point this Turkish imam stood up and started
singing a call to prayer. Everybody was dead
quiet--even the Israelis. But after about ten
seconds, this Israeli officer stomped over
through the squatting people, pulled out his
pistol and pointed at the guy’s head, yelling
‘Shut up!’ in English. The imam looked at him
directly and just kept singing! I thought, Jesus
Christ, he’s gonna kill him! Then I thought,
well, this is what I’m here for, I guess, so I
stood up. The officer wheeled around and pointed
his gun at my head. The imam finished his song
and sat down, and then I sat down.”

While the commandeered vessels were sailed to the
Israeli port of Ashdot, the captives were left
without food or water. “All we were given were
some chocolate bars that the Israelis pilfered
from the ship’s stores,” says Neish. “You had to
grovel to get to go to the bathroom, and many
people had to just go in their pants.”

Things didn’t get much better once the passengers
were transferred to an Israeli prison. He and the
other prisoners with him, who hadn’t eaten for
more than half a day, were tossed a frozen block of bread and some cucumbers.

On the second day, someone from the Canadian
embassy came around, calling out his name. “It
turned out he’d been going to every cell looking
for me,” says Neish. “My daughter had been
frantically telling the Canadian government I was
in the flotilla. Even though the Israelis had my
name and knew where I was, they weren’t telling
the Canadian embassy people. In fact the
Canadians--and my daughter--thought I was dead,
because people had said I’d been near the initial
assault. The good thing is that as they went
around calling out for me, they discovered two
Arab-born Canadians that they hadn’t known were there.”

“Eventually they got to my cell and I answered
them. The embassy official said, ‘You’re Kevin? You’re supposed to be dead.’”

After being held for a few days, there was a rush
to move everyone to the Ben Gurion airport for a
flight to Turkey. “It turned out that Israeli
lawyers had brought our case to the Supreme
Court, challenging the legality of our capture on
international waters. There was a chance that the
court would order the IDF to put us back on our
ships and let us go, so the government wanted to
get us out of Israel and moot the case. But two
guys were hauled off, probably by Mossad (the
Israeli intelligence agency). So we all said,
‘No. We don’t go unless you bring them back.’”

The two men were returned and were allowed to leave with the rest of the group.

“I honestly never thought the Israelis would
board the ship,” says Neish. “I thought we’d get
into Gaza. I mean, I went as part of the Free
Gaza Movement, and they had made prior attempts,
with some getting in, and some getting boarded or
rammed, but this time it was a big flotilla. I
figured we’d be stopped, and maybe searched. My
boat, the Challenger II, only had dignitaries on
board including three German MPs, and then Lt. Col. Ann Wright and myself.

At one point in the Israeli prison, all the
violence finally got to this man who had
witnessed more death and mayhem than many active
duty US troops in Iraq or Afghanistan. “I broke
down and started crying,” he admits. “This big
Turkish guy came over and asked me, ‘What’s
wrong?’ I said, ‘Sixteen people died.’”

“He said to me, ‘No, they died for a wonderful
cause. They’re happy. You just go out and tell your story.’”

DAVE LINDORFF is a founding member of the new
independent collectively-owned, journalist-run
online newspaper <http://www.ThisCantBeHappening.net>ThisCantBeHappening.net