[News] I am H.A.I.T.I.

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jan 15 20:08:52 EST 2010

I am H.A.I.T.I.
by Teddy Fikre

http://wellandgoood.blogspot.com/2010/01/i-am-haiti.html

Unbowed and unconquered since the time when my
son François-Dominique Toussaint L’ouverture
defeated a French colonial power. I was Adwa
before Adwa. I gave hope to millions of enslaved
brothers and sisters from Africa. I am
H.A.I.T.I., I have been punished ever since by
the Western world. Exploited for my raw
resources, corruption tolerated and in most
instances perpetuated by outside influences so
that I can always be destabilized.

I am H.A.I.T.I.

I have been deemed a third world country.
Tourists come from the west to appreciate my
natural beauty, while disregarding the abject
poverty as they drive from the airport to their
luxury hotels as quickly as possible. My neighbor
and I (Dominican Republic) are popular
destination for would be bachelors. They come and
stay in my villas, and I being so poor I
prostitute my daughters to quench the loins of
these soon to be married men. My sons are their
porters, carrying their bags and speaking broken
English and tap dancing to their desires so that they can feed their seed.

I am H.A.I.T.I.

My natural resources are taken from me, forced to
sell my sugar, concrete, timber,and flaxseed oil
for a penny on the dollar. I am H.A.I.T.I., my
net export last year was $498 million dollars,
mega tons of my resources shipped off to the
western world. Those raw resources translate into
billions of dollars once they are turned into
finished goods. I am H.A.I.T.I, see I am still colonized.

I am H.A.I.T.I.

No one pays attention to me. Everyday, the
equivalent of Katrina happens on the streets of
Port au Prince. My sons and daughters die by the
thousands on a monthly basis, the byproduct of
desperation, drugs, and violence turned against
me by my sons and daughters. I am H.A.I.T.I., my
children die from the scourge of malnutrition as
I watch my kids drink from infested pools of dirty water.

I am H.A.I.T.I.

The only time the world cares about me is when I
rise up and bury my own children, when I
eviscerate my offspring. I am H.A.I.T.I., you pay
attention to me when my children are entombed by
the shoddy concrete that is left over for me to
house my family while the grade concrete is
shipped off to Western cities and suburbs. I am
H.A.I.T.I., you now cry for me, when usually you don’t give a shit about me.

I am H.A.I.T.I.

I don’t want your fucking pity. Thank you for the
$5.00 you send me through your cell phone. But
really, how about you give me a fair price on my
natural resources. I am H.A.I.T.I., I don’t want
your charity, I just want the dignity to provide
for my own sons and daughters. I am H.A.I.T.I.,
keep your IMF and World Bank money, money you
give me with strings attached that keep me in
bondage. I am H.A.I.T.I., I don’t need prayers
from DEVILS like Pat Robertson. I am H.A.I.T.I.,
you see me crying black tears of oppression and dejection on your HD TV.

I am H.A.I.T.I.

All I ask is that you stop raping my natural
resources. I am H.A.I.T.I, I don’t want the
crumbs you provide, give me the ability to make
my own pie. I am H.A.I.T.I., thanks for the rice
you drop from the sky for me, but really, instead
of $498 million you give me for my natural
resources, how about you pay a fair price and
instead offer me $5 billion for my exports. That
way, I can build my own rice fields, I can have
my own emergency services, I can build my own
houses and schools with grade A concrete so when
there is another earthquake, my children won’t perish in the process.

I am H.A.I.T.I.

I guess I should be grateful for the millions you
just gave me in AID, while you profited from me
by the billions last year alone. I am H.A.I.T.I.,
thank you for your charity, but really, how about
you just give me my dignity so that I can care for my own sons and daughters.