[News] Aristide - We thank all the true friends of Haiti

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jan 15 20:33:14 EST 2010

Dr Jean-Bertrand Aristide
Former President of Haiti

We thank all the true friends of Haiti, in
particular the Government and the people of South
Africa for their solidarity with the victims of Haiti.

The concrete action undertaken by Rescue South
Africa and Gift of the Givers is a clear
expression of ubuntu. Ubuntu ngumuntu
ngabantu.  As we all know, many people remain
buried under tons of ruble and debris waiting to
be rescued.  When we think of their suffering, we
feel deeply and profoundly that we should be
there, in Haiti, with them, trying our best to prevent death.

To symbolize this readiness we have decided to
meet not just anywhere, but here, in the shadow
of the Oliver Tambo International Airport.  As
far as we are concerned, we are ready to leave
today, tomorrow, at any time to join the people
of Haiti, to share in their suffering, help
rebuild the country, moving from misery to
poverty with dignity.  Friends from around the
world have confirmed their willingness to
organize an airplane carrying medical supplies,
emergency needs and ourselves.

While we cannot wait to be with our sisters and
brothers in Haiti, we share the anguish of all
Haitians in the Diaspora who are desperate to reach family and loved ones.

Soufrans youn nan nou se soufrans nou tout.
L’Union fait la force. Kouraj! Kenbe! Kenbe!
Youn soutni lòt nan lespri Mèm Amou an.

Our love to the nation now labeled the poorest of
the western hemisphere.  However, the spirit of
ubuntu that once led Haiti to emerge as the first
independent Black nation in 1804; helped
Venezuela, Columbia and Ecuador attain liberty;
and inspired our forefathers to shed their blood
for the United States’ independence, cannot
die.  Today this spirit of solidarity must and
will empower all of us to rebuild Haiti.

                                                                  Ukwanda
kwaliwa umthakathi.
                                                                  Thank you.