[News] Imari Obadele "Father of Reparations" and leader of the RNA dies in Georgia

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jan 20 12:05:02 EST 2010

Imari Obadele "Father of Reparations" dies in Ga.

Associated Press - January 19, 2010 11:14 PM ET

ATLANTA (AP) - Imari Obadele, the former leader of the Republic of
New Africa separatist group, has died. He was 79.

Obadele's daughters, Marilyn Obadele and Vivian Gafford, said Tuesday
that their father died of massive stroke Monday in Atlanta.

Known as the "Father of Reparations," Obadele was a staunch supporter
of Malcom X and eventually became President of the Republic of New
Africa, which sought to establish its own nation in the South.

He was president when, in 1971, city police and FBI agents battled
RNA members who were inside a fortified home in Jackson, Miss. One
police officer was killed and two others were wounded in the shootout.

Obadele spent more than five years in prison for conspiracy but was
not charged with murder.

Funeral arrangements are pending.
http://www.zimbio.com/Public+Enemy/articles/138/History+Republic+New+Afrika+RNA+Including

REPARATIONS

Dr. Imari Obadele:

The Father of the Modern Reparations Movement!

Text Written By Robert C. Smith

The issue of reparations has increased attention in the last several
months. Local and state legislative bodies have taken up the issue;
articles have appeared in leading newspapers and magazines; it has
been a topic of lively debate on the Internet and local and national
television and radio programs; and Randall Robinson's TransAfrica
conducted a nationally televised symposium on the subject. Also, The
Boston Globe reports that Harvard's much publicized "dream team" of
African American intellectuals are considering legal and legislative
actions to secure reparations.

In virtually all of this discussion, hardly any mention has been made
of Imari Obadele, the individual who probably should be described as
the father of the modern reparations movement.

That Obadele's work has been ignored is not surprising, given how the
mainstream media, black and white, covers African American politics.
This coverage is frequently uninformed and almost always biased and
myopic, focusing mainly on the familiar disputes between black
liberals and conservatives and black Democrats and Republicans, while
ignoring - relegating to the fringes - the powerful tradition of
nationalism in the black community's politics.

Bishop Henry M. Turner was the first African American leader to call
for reparations. He did so near the end of the Reconstruction era.
The Nation of Islam has, since its inception, called for reparations,
and the Republic of New Africa (RNA), organized by Obadele and his
Malcolm X Society associates in 1968, demanded payment of $400
billion in "slavery damages." However, the modern movement for
reparations did not take organizational form until 1988, when Obadele
and his associates formed the National Coalition of Blacks for
Reparations in America (NCOBRA).

NCOBRA initiates litigation publishes a newsletter and sponsors
national and regional conferences. Professor Obadele gave the closing
argument in a mock trial at Bethune-Cookman College in 1998, where a
bi-racial jury voted to award reparations. At its tenth annual
convention held in St. Louis in June 1999, NCOBRA adopted the "Six
Down-Payment Demands on the U.S. Government," which demanded that a
billion dollars each be given to ten black colleges, that a billion
dollars be placed in a black economic development fund, that $20,000
be awarded to each black family, that a billion dollars be given to
black farmers, and that all "political prisoners" be released. For
more information, visit the NCOBRA website.

Imari Obadele is currently a professor of political science at
Prairie View A & M University, where he has been on the faculty since
1990. A leading scholar of nationalism, Obadele served for twenty
years as Provisional President of RNA and is currently a member of
the group's national legislative council. The principal aim of the
RNA since its formation has been the organization of a plebiscite
among African Americans in order to determine whether they would wish
to form an independent nation-state within the current boundaries of
the United States. Professor Obadele has written extensively on the
right of blacks under prevailing standards of international law to
have been accorded after the Civil War the opportunity to choose
independent nation-state status rather than forcible incorporation
into the United States.

In August of 1971, as part of its COINTELPRO program to "expose,
disrupt and otherwise neutralize" black nationalist and other radical
organizations, the FBI conducted a pre-dawn raid on the Jackson,
Mississippi headquarters of the RNA. In the ensuing gun battle, a
Jackson police officer was killed and an FBI agent and another
policeman were wounded. Obadele and several other RNA officials were
sentenced to long prison terms. He spent nearly five years behind
bars, but as a result of national grassroots mobilization and a legal
campaign, he was eventually freed. He immediately resumed his
leadership work in the RNA.

But he also decided to combine his life of activism with scholarship,
enrolling at Temple University where he earned a BA in 1981, a
Master's in 1982 and a Ph.D in 1985. His areas of specialization
include American government, constitutional law, international
relations and African American politics. Before joining the faculty
at Prairie View, Obadele taught at William Paterson College and the
College of Wooster.

A prolific scholar, Professor Obadele has written three textbooks,
co-edited two volumes (including The Forty Acres Documents, an
important reference source on reparations) and in 1984 authored Free
The Land, an autobiographical account of his work in the RNA during the 1970s.

I recently spoke to Imari Obadele.

Question: When did you first become active in the black freedom struggle?

Answer: I grew up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and managed to join
the Boy Scouts at 11, in 1941. My brother Milton, a Lincoln
University student, had joined the 99th Pursuit Squadron to begin
training as a radio operator. He was commissioned by the Signal Corps
as a second lieutenant and then went on to become a fighter pilot.
Milton was one of the leading black officers who fought against the
discriminatory impositions suffered by black officers, including the
inability to be admitted to officers' clubs on various bases, the
frequent refusals of white enlisted men to salute black officers. He
took his complaints to Air Force Headquarters at Mitchell Field, New
York, and was ultimately court-martialed and given an "other than
honorable" discharge. He completed work at Lincoln University without
the GI Bill, was then refused admission at Temple University Law
School, but was admitted to Yale Law School, from which he graduated
in 1947 and subsequently passed the Michigan bar.

As teenagers, myself and my neighborhood buddies, as Explorer Scouts,
avidly followed Milton's struggle as it was reported in the
Pittsburgh Courier and other Afro-American national newspapers. His
dauntless struggle -- particularly as he continued his fight against
racism when he returned home -- inspired all of us, including myself,
to make a commitment to ending our people's oppression and injustice.
In Philadelphia in those early years Milton and I were instrumental
in forming a Civil Rights group, which brought W.E.B. Du Bois to
town, and which also led to an effort to create a boycott against the
segregation in the U.S. military. This case -- with Devreaux
Tomlinson of Philadelphia as main plaintiff -- never went to trial,
but we believe that Truman's order to integrate the army in terms of
units (not within units), as the Korean War began in the summer of
1950, was a response to this campaign. will lead us." By Kevin Merida

Question: What led you to conclude that an independent state is the
optimum outcome of the black freedom struggle in the United States?

Answer: My brothers Milton Henry and Lawrence Henry (a freelance news
reporter and photographer) met with Malcolm X and shortly before
King's "March on Washington" introduced me to the brother. The
Detroit organization which we had formed, a civil and economic rights
group called "The Group on Advanced Leadership" (GOAL), invited
Malcolm X and others involved in the rights movement to speak for us
in Detroit. Here he made his formidable "Message To The Grassroots" speech.

This was a turning point in my political life. I was married with
four children and employed at the U.S. Tank-Automotive Command as a
technical writer, and attending classes at Wayne State University
when I could. GOAL was peopled by many persons, some of whom have
become educators and political luminaries in Detroit. Malcolm's
speech was early November 1963. Kennedy was killed two weeks later,
and Elijah Muhammad, head of the Nation of Islam, suspended Malcolm
for having commented that "the chickens have come home to roost."
Milton and myself and others in Detroit, and armed brothers in
Brooklyn and the Los Angeles area, who were followers of Malcolm but
not members of the Nation of Islam, became Malcolm's support, though
we failed to stop his 1965 assassination.

Within three years our Malcolm X Society had called a "Black
Government Conference" in Detroit and established a Provisional
Government, named the unfree nation as the Republic of New Africa,
and charged the Provisional Government with leading the struggle for
independence of the Republic. The Declaration of Independence was
signed 31 March 1968, the same Sunday that Lyndon Johnson announced
that he would not seek re-election as President of the United States.
Robert Williams, in exile in China, was named our first President.
Milton was named First Vice President and Betty Shabazz was named
second Vice President. I was named Minister of Information.

Question: How do you respond to critics who say the idea of an
independent black nation-state is a fantasy -- completely unrealistic
-- because it is not desired by most blacks, and not achievable even
if desired?

Answer: Our effort is to recruit those who do believe that creating a
state as independent as Canada is possible and will work to achieve
it. People have a right to believe it is a fantasy. But what's new?
The United States and its institutions have worked to make all of our
people believe that because of the Fourteenth Amendment we have been
"made" into U.S. citizens. Even many Black professors refuse to write
in their books or teach their classes that New African people --
persons born in the United States and descended from Africans once
held in slavery -- had and have after the Thirteenth Amendment the
right to political self-determination.

We should have been asked -- as a group and individually -- what we
wanted to choose as our political future. Instead, the United States,
which theretofore had refused the application of the Rule of Jus Soli
[an ancient legal standard that tied citizenship to place of birth]
to Africans born in America, assumed that they could deny us the
right to self-determination when they passed the Thirteenth Amendment
and, then, passing the Fourteenth Amendment two-and-a-half years
later, could impose the Rule of Jus Soli upon us. The most modest
count indicates that over nine percent of our 40 million population
desire independence today, despite the years of U.S. brainwashing.
Time and events will bring the reality to the rest of us. The key is
information and choice.

Question: Given your long-time involvement in the reparations
struggle, what do you think of the recently highly publicized efforts
of Randall Robinson and others?

Answer: Mr. Robinson's book [The Debt: What America Owes Blacks] has
helped to make reparations a household word, coming after ten years
of struggle by NCOBRA. Those who are joining the fight will
emphasize, we trust, the importance of the 27-odd chapters across the
country continuing their consultations with Black organizations
everywhere to decide the forms of reparations and establish elected
local organs to deal with the collective aspects of the payment,
economic development, education, and release of people from jail
based on reviews by elected community parole boards.

Question: What's your thinking on the Africa-based initiatives led by
the OAU and Ali Mazrui? Are there connections, coordination between
the African American and African initiatives? If not, should there be?

Answer: We in America and our people throughout the diaspora must
work together. NCOBRA is involved in this work.

Question: Also, to what extent is there communications or
coordination between NCOBRA, Robinson and other activists who have
recently embraced the cause?

Answer: NCOBRA is a mass-based organization, which includes members
like Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, the National Conference of Black
Political Scientists, the National Conference of Black Lawyers. The
NAACP has passed a resolution asking chapters to work with NCOBRA.

Question: Some blacks say that while reparations are owed it is not
likely that the debt will be paid, and that a highly visible national
debate on the issue will be racially divisive (a 1997 poll found that
while 65% of blacks supported reparations, it was opposed by 88% of
whites) and in the long run harmful to blacks. What's your judgment?

Answer: Many New African people, unfortunately, must have our souls
repaired and appreciate our history. We have always achieved things
that were supposed to be impossible. The United States will do what
all countries do: They pay when they MUST, when paying is the best
alternative to what else they face. What is this about racial
divisiveness? We are supposed to allow a nation of thieves, the
whites, to remain comfortable with the wealth and rectitude stolen from us?

Question: At this point, where do you see the movement going in the
next several years?

Answer: Movements reach critical points. In the next several years,
reparations will be won and we will begin to use the proceeds in the
best manner to repair ourselves as a people and once more provide
black genius to the world.