[News] Petition For Palestinian Civil Rights in Lebanon

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Feb 1 15:01:38 EST 2010

Franklin Lamb – Why We Petition For Palestinian Civil Rights in Lebanon

By
<http://palestinethinktank.com/author/guest-post/>Guest
Post • Feb 1st, 2010 at 19:52
http://palestinethinktank.com/2010/02/01/franklin-lamb-why-we-petition-for-palestinian-civil-rights-in-lebanon/

“We don't have to engage in grand, heroic actions
to participate in the process of change or
resistance. Small acts, when multiplied by many
people, can transform the world”

“If we remember those times and places–and there
are so many–where people have behaved
magnificently, this gives us the energy to act,
and at least the possibility of sending this
spinning top of a world in a different direction.
And if we do act, in however small a way, we
don’t have to wait for some grand utopian future.
The future is an infinite succession of presents,
and to live now as we think human beings should
live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory.”

Professor Howard Zinn (1922-2010)

  Hundreds of people from around the World have
signed an Online Petition
<http://www.petitiononline.com/ssfpcrc/petition.html>http://www.petitiononline.com/ssfpcrc/petition.html
in the opening days of an international effort to
achieve basic Civil Rights for Palestinian Refugees in Lebanon.

We Petition because we believe that alongside
Statehood, and the exigency of lifting the
criminal siege of Gaza, immediately granting the
right to work and the right to purchase a home to
Palestinians in Lebanon, after 62 years of
indignity and degradation, is a fundamental
imperative of basic morality and justice.

We Petition because as British journalist Robert
Fisk wrote in the UK Independent on January 16,
2010 after a camp visit: “ The Sabra and Shatila
Palestinian Refugee Camps are repulsive, obscene,
outrageous, filthy, stinking slums and a place of
such squalor that the gorge rises that human
beings even live there.” The reason why Lebanon’s
12 Palestinian Refugee camps are the worst of the
58 camps in the Middle East is due primarily to
the fact that unlike occupied Palestine, Jordan,
and Syria, Palestinians in Lebanon do not possess the most basic civil rights

We Petition because many of us are from countries
that continue to aid and abet this degradation,
for which like each of our fellow citizens we
bare personal responsibility and feel shame, as
we contemplate the founding principles of our
nations that we cherish being sullied by silence and inaction.

We Petition because Lebanon’s Palestinian
refugees are today, as has been the case for 62
years, systematically deprived of basic rights
guaranteed by the United Nations Charter, the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights and because
the Palestinian refugees are the only refugee
population in the world excluded from the
international protection accorded by the United
Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Statute and the Refugee Convention. At the end of
2008, at least 7.1 million Palestinians,
representing 67 percent of the entire Palestinian
population (10.6 million) worldwide were
displaced persons. Among them are 6.6 million
refugees and 427,000 IDPs. This makes Palestinian
refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs)
the largest and longest-standing case of displaced persons in the world today.

We Petition because the Lebanese government, in
particular, as well as the broader international
community, have the obligation to respect and
ensure the full range of civil, political,
economic, social and cultural rights of
Palestinians living in Lebanon, without
discrimination. These rights include the rights
to work, to education, to the highest attainable
standard of health, to adequate housing and an adequate standard of living.

We Petition because we want to twin with every
Palestinian Refugee in Lebanon and to pay
heartfelt condolences to the families of every
Lebanese who died during the several aggressions
launched against them. Each Petition signature
links with our cherished friend, Badriah Haij of
Shatila Refugee Camp, now ill and preparing for
death and to meet the Prophets. Sixty two years
ago she walked for two days into Lebanon at Maron
al Ras from her village of Al Amoka near Safad,
Palestine. Badriah’s fervent death wish, and that
of her daughter Zeinab and her siblings, is to
have someone bring a handful of dirt from her
family homestead for her children to sprinkle
into her casket in Lebanon until, as Badriah
believes, her remains will be returned to
Palestine and she can rest in peace. Each
signature links with Master Ali Hamise a young
man of 11 years old who happened upon a
delegation of visiting Europeans and Americans
recently and they engaged the ill glad youngster
near the garbage pile on Rue Sabra. Ali stunned
the visitors with his knowledge of Palestine as
he recited much history and the names of nearly
150 destroyed villages in occupied Palestine that
he insisted must be rebuilt “so people can go
home.” “How could da kinder know all that?” a crusty German gentleman asked.

And each signature links in solidarity with more
than 7 million Palestinians in the Diaspora, many
forced to disperse to survive and whose Right of
Return is inerasably engraved in international law.

We Petition because International law requires
that civil, political, economic, social and
cultural rights must be accorded the Palestinian
Refugees in Lebanon without discrimination.
Lebanon, like all Countries, must ensure that any
discrimination against her hosted Palestinian
Refugees is eliminated. The discretion given to
countries in the extent to which they must ensure
economic rights for Refugees does not justify
restricting access to the right to work on the
basis of preserving the right to return, as some
in Lebanon have argued. Lebanon is obliged not to
interpret the distinction between nationals and
non-nationals to undermine their obligations
under international human rights law.

For example, Lebanese Presidential Decree 11614
of 1969, as modified by Decree 296 of 2001,
prohibits people who do "not carry a citizenship
issued by a recognized state" from securing legal
title to housing and land in Lebanon. This
draconian legislation specifically targets
Lebanon’s Palestinian Refugees although they are
not specified in the Decree. It means that
Palestinian refugees, because virtually all
stateless people in Lebanon are Palestinian
refugees, and most Palestinian refugees are
stateless: “No real right to housing, land or
property of any kind may be acquired by any
person that does not carry a citizenship issued
by a recognized state, or by any person if such
acquisition contradicts with the provisions of
the constitution relating to the prohibition of
Settlement (tawteen)." Article 1 of the amended Decree 296.

This law is in direct violation of the
International Covenant on Economic, Social and
Cultural Rights (ICESCR) ratified by Lebanon on
November 24, 2008, as well as other treaty
obligation and numerous provisions of customary international law.

We Petition because the legal prohibition on
Palestinian refugees in Lebanon registering legal
title to housing and land greatly diminishes
their chance of enjoying security of tenure
outside the camps, leaving most of them with
little choice but to remain in the camps and
gatherings. Lebanese law also prevents
Palestinian refugees from inheriting housing or
land, and from registering real estate, even if
they have been paying for it in installments for years.

We Petition because we believe Lebanon’s
Parliament will heed a sincere broadly based
international urgent appeal to fulfill the unique
Lebanese role in the region and exhibit its
gifted people’s deeply ingrained humanitarianism.
And because courageous Lebanese officials working
for the enactment of legislation granting civil
rights to Palestinian Refugees urge us to do so,
that they may demonstrate international support
for and expectation of, correcting this grave
injustice that has also diminished Lebanon’s
standing among the community of Nations. To its
great credit Lebanon’s new Parliament appears
ready to seriously consider the enactment of
basic civil rights for its Palestinian Refugees
including the right to work and the right to own
a home, have a recognized ID document and to move
freely inside Lebanon and outside the camps
without fear of harassment or arbitrary arrest.

We Petition to give Lebanon’s Palestinian
refugees a feeling of hope and power that many
are in danger of losing and to convince them that
ultimately power rests with the people themselves
and, as has often happened in history they can
use it as blacks, women and the anti-war movement
have done in American history and that the
anti-war movement must reconstitute and do again.

To paraphrase one of my Professors at Boston
University, the late Howard Zinn, who later was
also the inaugural speaker at the Boston
University School of Law Seminar-Forum, which he
helped me establish during the Vietnam war, (in
order to bring guest speakers on social issues
and enliven our law school curriculum, top heavy
as it was, by way too much Corporate Taxation,
Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Estate planning
etc) however dire the conditions, however many
will advise in all sincerity that those in power
will not allow even the most basic civil rights
for Palestinians in Lebanon we cannot give up the
game before all the cards, including those from a
multitude of supporters around the world, have been played.

The obstacles may seem invincible and also our
opponents in their determination to hold onto the
status quo. But that apparent power has, again
and again, proved vulnerable in history to human
qualities less measurable than entrenched
political power such as moral fervor,
determination, unity, organization, sacrifice,
wit, ingenuity, courage, and persistence. No
rational analysis and calculation of the
imbalance of power need deter people who are
persuaded that the cause for civil rights for
Palestinian refugees in Lebanon is just.

Please join us!

Sign with us!

Distribute with us!

Post with us!

Make history with us!

Let’s do this together!

Please support the enactment of basic civil
rights for our Palestinian sisters and brothers
in Lebanon in the sure knowledge that when we
succeed, and succeed we shall, you will personally have improved the World.

Contact:
<mailto:palestinecivilrightscampaign at gmail.com>palestinecivilrightscampaign at gmail.com

Website:
<http://www.palestinecivilrightscampaign.org/>www.palestinecivilrightscampaign.org
Palestine Civil Rights Campaign-Lebanon

PLEASE SIGN HERE!

<http://www.petitiononline.com/ssfpcrc/petition.html>http://www.petitiononline.com/ssfpcrc/petition.html

"Affixing my name to this petition expresses my
wish to personally "twin" in solidarity with one
of Lebanon's Palestinian refugees as they and
their Lebanese hosts continue to work and prepare for their Return."

Franklin P. Lamb, LLM,PhD
Director, Americans Concerned for
Middle East Peace, Wash.DC-Beirut

Board Member, The Sabra Shatila Foundation and
the Palestine Civil Rights Campaign, Beirut-Washington DC
Shatila Palestinian Refugee Camp
Beirut Mobile: +961-70-497-804
<mailto:fplamb at gmail.com>fplamb at gmail.com