[News] U Puerto Rico supporters swell the ranks of fee protest

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Dec 24 11:12:25 EST 2010

UPR supporters swell the ranks of fee protest

December 24, 2010
by Juan A. Hernandez
<mailto:jhernandez at prdailysun.net>jhernandez at prdailysun.net
http://www.prdailysun.com/news/UPR-supporters-swell-the-ranks-of-fee-protest

University of Puerto Rico students  once again
received the support of thousands of people in
their struggle to avert the imposition next
semester of the $800 Special Fiscal Stabilization Fee.

A crowd of several thousand people demonstrated
Thursday along with UPR students in a picket line
that extended from the main gate of the Río
Piedras campus to the intersection of Ponce de León and Gándara avenues.

“We are here with our sons and daughters to
defend their education and our university,” said
an unidentified woman marching among the
students. “We are not troublemakers; we are parents.”

During a press conference Wednesday, labor and
community leaders had called for the
demonstration in support of the student struggle
against the $800 special fee and the presence of
police detachments on campus. Community leaders
from Villa Sin Miedo (San Juan), Villas del Sol
(Toa Baja), Sonadora (Aguas Buenas) and others
came to express their support. At the same time,
labor leaders from General Workers Union, the
Puerto Rico Workers Syndicate, the Puerto Rico
Workers Federation, the Electric and Irrigation
Industry Workers Union, known as UTIER, and the
Puerto Rico Teachers Association and Federation,
among many others, also turned out to express their support.

Public Communications student Alicia Petru Gerena
thanked the people for their support and
reiterated the students’ disposition to continue their struggle.

“As in 1981, we now stand at this moment in
history with our people to tell the government
that we have taken to the streets willing to
fight for our future,” said Petru Gerena,
referring to the 1981 UPR student strike.

Teachers Association President Aida Díaz
concurred with the student in that the people had
come “to defend their university.”
“Many of us studied here and we want our children
to receive from it what we received before,” Díaz said.

The veteran teacher urged Gov. Fortuño to
reconsider his position because “things can still be negotiated.”

Dr. Iván Rodríguez Cancel, who was appointed last
year as Health Department Secretary by Fortuño,
also expressed his support for the university.

“As a Puerto Rican, I consider the people must
express their solidarity with the University of
Puerto Rico,” said Rodríguez Cancel, who withdrew
his nomination to the Health post.

“This is an unfortunate situation for the
university, the institution that prepared us for
the challenges of the past and the one that will
prepare us for those of the future,” Rodríguez Cancel, a UPR alumnus, added.

Support for the student cause also came from the
Dominican Human Rights Committee.

“We want to change the perception that we
‘dominicanos’ don’t integrate with the people who
have received us, that we don’t take part in the
issues affecting Puerto Rico,” spokesman José Rodríguez said.

“We are against the abuse the police have
committed against the students and particularly
against our community,” Rodríguez said.

According to the human rights activist,  police
first “test”  their abusive techniques on the
dominicanos to later act against Puerto Ricans.
“I have two teenage boys and they will be coming
here soon [to the UPR] to study. I won’t be able
to pay for the education of both of them if the
fee is imposed, “ Rodríguez said.

Rodríguez estimated there are 3,000 to 4,000
Dominicans enrolled in universities, both public
and private, across the island.
UPR students have been on strike for the last
nine days after the administration refused to
repeal Certification 146, imposing a special $800
Fiscal Stabilization Fee to solve the worst
economic crisis in university history. Even
though students have been presenting their
proposals to university officials during the
semester, it wasn’t until the day before the
strike that university President José Ramón De la
Torre agreed to meet with them.

Confrontations between the students and the
police contingents now stationed at the campus
erupted this week, with 17 students arrested, and several others injured.

Regarding the clashes between students and the
police, UTIER president Ángel Figueroa Jaramillo
warned the police about future confrontations.

“We will not promote violence, but we will not be
hit and pushed either. We have the right to free
speech and we will defend ourselves,” Figueroa Jaramillo said.

After the protest, a Christmas concert (asalto
navideño) was offered to the demonstrators
preceded by the University Chorus, which sang the alma mater.

Renowned artist Pablo Marcano García took the
occasion to unveil his painting “Fuego Coral,” in
homage to chorus director Prof. Carmen Acevedo and the chorus.

“Professor Acevedo and the University Chorus
represent the best of our spirit
 as long as
they endure, we will all be better,” Marcano García said.