[News] Hamas leader Khaled Meshal interview

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Sep 22 11:20:31 EDT 2009

Exclusive: Hamas leader interview

<http://www.newstatesman.com/print/200909170013#>Ken Livingstone
http://www.newstatesman.com/middle-east/2009/09/israel-palestinian-hamas

Published 17 September 2009

In a world exclusive, Ken Livingstone discusses
religion, violence and the chances for peace with
the Hamas leader Khaled Meshal
[]

The key to peace in the Middle East is
restoration of international law and the
recognition of the right of both Palestinians and
Israeli Jews to live in peace and security side
by side. As President Obama says, there is no
peace process today. Israel's prime minister,
Binyamin Netanyahu, continues to extend illegal
settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem
and maintain a near-complete blockade of Gaza.
Palestinians fire ineffectual rockets into
Israel. Israel regularly attacks Palestinian territories with modern weapons.

No major conflict can be resolved without each
side talking to the other. That was the case in
South Africa, Ireland and countless other
situations where people said they would never
talk to their opponents. I was vilified in the
Eighties for saying that, to resolve the Irish
conflict, you had to talk to Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness.

In the Middle East, peace can only be achieved
through discussion between the elected
representatives of both the Israelis and the
Palestinians - and that means Hamas, which won a
big majority in the last Palestinian
parliamentary election, as well as Fatah. This
does not mean that I agree with the views of
Hamas, Fatah or the government of Israel. Far
from it: I do not. For example, I think a number
of passages in the original Hamas charter are
unacceptable and should be repudiated. Many
observers believe that this is also the view of some in Hamas.

Yet, for too many people, Hamas as an
organisation remains opaque. What they know about
it is derived from a hostile media; it has no
face. Most would probably think its leader is
some disturbed Osama Bin Laden figure. In fact,
al-Qaeda's supporters in Gaza are so hostile to
Hamas that they have declared war on it.

For these reasons, I thought it important to
interview the de facto leader of Hamas, Khaled
Meshal, who lives in exile in Syria. Not every
issue is clear. But at the beginning of any peace
process, what matters most is engagement.
Dialogue is necessary to get to clarity and
mutual understanding. Sinn Fein did not answer
every question at the beginning and neither does
Binyamin Netanyahu today. The answers from Meshal
come at a time of heightened tensions and renewed
death threats against him, adding to the
permanent danger of assassination bids not only
by the Israelis, but also al-Qaeda supporters in the region.

I hope this interview will help to make the case
for the dialogue that is needed, which I believe
is inevitable. It is simply a question of how
much suffering there will be, on both sides, before we get there.

Ken Livingstone: Could you explain a little about
your childhood and the experiences that shaped
your development into the person you are today?

Khaled Meshal: I was born in the West Bank
village of Silwad near Ramallah in 1956. In my
early age, I learned from my father how he was
part of the Palestinian revolution against the
British mandate in Palestine in the Thirties and
how he fought, alongside other Palestinians using
primitive weapons, against the well-equipped and
trained Zionist gangs attacking Palestinian villages in 1948.

I lived in Silwad for 11 years until the 1967
war, when I was forced with my family, like
hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, to leave
home and settle in Jordan. That was a shocking experience I will never forget.

KL: What happened to you after the war?

KM: Soon afterwards, I left Jordan for Kuwait,
where my father had already been working and
living since before 1967. After completing my
primary education in 1970, I joined the
prestigious Abdullah al-Salim Secondary School.
In the early Seventies, it was a hub of intense
political and ideological activity.

During my second year at al-Salim school, I
joined the Muslim Brotherhood (al-Ikhwan
al-Muslimun). Upon finishing my fourth year
successfully I secured admission to Kuwait
University, where I studied for a BSc degree in physics.

Kuwait University had an active branch of the
General Union of Palestinian Students (GUPS),
which had been under the absolute control of the
Fatah movement. I and my fellow Islamists
decided, in 1977, to join GUPS, which we had
previously shunned, and contest its leadership
election. However, working from within GUPS
proved impossible; we felt constantly impeded and
realised we Islamists would never be given a
chance. By 1980, two years after I graduated, my
juniors decided to leave GUPS and form their own
Palestinian association on campus.

Many of the students had become disillusioned
with the Palestinian leadership, who seemed
intent on settling for much less than what they
had grown up dreaming of, namely the complete
liberation of Palestine and the return of all the refugees to their homes.

KL: What is the situation in Gaza today?

KM: Gaza today is under siege. Crossings are
closed most of the time and for months victims of
the Israeli war on Gaza have been denied ­access
to construction materials to rebuild their
destroyed homes. Schools, hospitals and homes in
many parts of the Gaza Strip are in need of
rebuilding. Tens of thousands of people remain
homeless. As winter approaches, the conditions of
these victims will only get worse in the cold and
rain. One and a half million people are held
hostage in one of the biggest prisons in the
history of humanity. They are unable to travel
freely out of the Strip, whether for medical
treatment, for education or for other needs. What
we have in Gaza is a disaster and a crime against
humanity perpetrated by the Israelis. The world
community, through its silence and indifference, colludes in this crime.

KL: Why do you think Israel is still imposing the siege on Gaza?

KM: The Israelis claim that the siege is for
security reasons. The real intention is to
pressure Hamas by punishing the entire
population. The sanctions were put in place soon
after Hamas won the Palestinian elections in
January 2006. While security is one of their
concerns, it is not the main motivation. The
primary objective is to provoke a coup against
the results of the democratic elections that
brought Hamas to power. The Israelis and their
allies seek to impose failure on Hamas by
persecuting the people. This is a hideous and
immoral endeavour. Today, the siege continues
despite the fact that we have, for the past six
months, observed a ceasefire. Last year, a truce
was observed from June to December 2008. Yet the
siege was never lifted, and the sanctions
remained in place. Undermining Hamas is the main
objective of the siege. The Israelis hope to turn
the people of Gaza against Hamas by increasing
the suffering of the entire population of the Strip.

KL: How many supporters of Hamas and elected
representatives of Hamas are there in prison in
Israel? Have they all been charged and convicted of crimes?

KM: Out of a total of 12,000 Palestinian captives
in Israeli detention, around 4,000 are Hamas
members. These include scores of ministers and
parliamentarians (Palestinian Legislative Council
members). Around ten have recently been released,
but about 40 PLC members remain in detention.
Some have been given sentences, but many are held
in what the Israelis call administrative
detention. The only crime these people are
accused of is their association with Hamas's
parliamentary group. Exercising one's democratic
right is considered a crime by Israel. All these
Palestinians are brought before an Israeli system
of justice that has nothing to do with justice.
The Israeli judiciary is an instrument of the
occupation. In Israel, there are two systems of
justice: one applies to Israelis and another
applies to the Palestinians. This is an apartheid regime.

KL: What part, if any, do other states and
insti­tutions, such as the US, the EU, Britain,
Egypt, or the Palestinian Authority, play in the blockade of Gaza?

KM: The blockade of Gaza would never have
succeeded had it not been for the collusion of
regional and international powers.

KL: How do you think the blockade can be lifted?

KM: In order for the blockade to be lifted, the
rule of international law must be respected. The
basic human rights of the Palestinians and their
right to live in dignity and free from
persecution would have to be acknowledged. There
has to be an international will to serve justice
and uphold the basic principles of international
human rights law. The international community
would have to free itself from the shackles of
Israeli pressure, speak the truth and act accordingly.

KL: Israel says that the bombing and invasion of
Gaza last year was in response to repeated
breaking of the ceasefire by Hamas and the firing
of rockets into southern Israel. Is this the case?

KM: The Israelis are not telling the truth. We
­entered into a truce deal with Israel from 19
June to 19 December 2008. Yet the blockade was
not lifted. The deal entailed a bilateral
ceasefire, lifting the blockade and opening the
crossings. We fully abided by the ceasefire while
Israel only partially observed it, and towards
the end of the term it resumed hostilities.
Throughout that ­period, Israel maintained the
siege and only intermittently opened some of the
crossings, ­allowing no more than 10 per cent of
the basic needs of the Gazan population to get through.
Israel killed the potential for renewing the
truce because it deliberately and repeatedly violated it.

I have always informed my western visitors,
including the former US president Jimmy Carter,
that the moment Hamas is offered a truce that
includes lifting the blockade and opening the
crossings, Hamas will adopt a positive stance. So
far, no one has made us any such offer. As far as
we are concerned, the blockade amounts to a
declaration of war that warrants self-defence.

KL: What are the ideology and goals of Hamas?

KM: Our people have been the victims of a
colonial project called Israel. For years, we
have suffered various forms of repression. Half
of our people have been dispossessed and are
denied the right to return to their homes, and
half live under an occupation regime that
violates their basic human rights. Hamas
struggles for an end to occupation and for the
restoration of our people's rights, including their right to return home.

KL: What is your view of the cause of the
conflict between the state of Israel and the Palestinians?

KM: The conflict is the outcome of aggression and
occupation. Our struggle against the Israelis is
not because they are Jewish, but because they
invaded our homeland and dispossessed us. We do
not accept that because the Jews were once
persecuted in Europe they have the right to take
our land and throw us out. The injustices
suffered by the Jews in Europe were horrible and
criminal, but were not perpetrated by the
Palestinians or the Arabs or the Muslims. So, why
should we be punished for the sins of others or
be made to pay for their crimes?

KL: Do you believe that Israel intends to continue to expand its borders?

KM: Israel does not, officially, have stated
borders. When Israel was created in our homeland
62 years ago, its founders dreamed of a "Greater
Israel" that extended from the Nile to the
Euphrates. Expansionism manifested itself on
different occasions: in 1956, in 1967 and later
on in the occupation of parts of Lebanon in the
Eighties. Arab weakness, Israeli military
superiority, the support given to Israel by the
western powers, and the massacres it was prepared
to commit against unarmed civilians in Palestine,
Egypt and Lebanon, enabled it to expand from time
to time. Although expansionism still lurks in the
minds of many Israelis, it would seem that this
is no longer a practical option. Lebanese and
Palestinian resistance has forced Israel to
withdraw unilaterally from lands it had
previously occupied through war and aggression.
While in the past Israel was able to defeat
several Arab armies, today it faces formidable
resistance that will not only check its
expansionism but also, in time, force it to
relinquish more of the land that it illegally occupies.

KL: What are your principal goals? Is Hamas
primarily a political or a religious organisation?

KM: Hamas is a national liberation movement. We
do not see a contradiction between our Islamic
identity and our political mission. While we
engage the occupiers through resistance and
struggle to achieve our people's rights, we are
proud of our religious identity that derives from
Islam. Unlike the experience of the Europeans
with Christianity, Islam does not provide for,
demand or recognise an ecclesiastical authority.
It simply provides a set of broad guidelines
whose detailed interpretations are subject to and
the product of human endeavour (ijtihad).

KL: Are you committed to the destruction of Israel?

KM: What is really happening is the destruction
of the Palestinian people by Israel; it is the
one that occupies our land and exiles us, kills us,
incarcerates us and persecutes our people. We are
the victims, Israel is the oppressor, and not vice versa.

KL: Why does Hamas support military force in this conflict?

KM: Military force is an option that our people
resort to because nothing else works. Israel's
conduct and the collusion of the international
community, whether through silence or
indifference or actual embroilment, vindicate
armed resistance. We would love to see this conflict
resolved peacefully. If occupation were to come
to an end and our people enabled to exercise
self-determination in their homeland, there would
then be no need for any use of force. The reality
is that nearly 20 years of peaceful negotiations
between the Palestinians and the Israelis have
not restored any of our rights. On the contrary,
we have incurred more suffering and more losses
as a result of the one-sided compromises made by
the Palestinian negotiating party.

Since the PLO entered into the Oslo peace deal
with Israel in 1993, more Palestinian land in the
West Bank has been expropriated by the Israelis
to build more illegal Jewish settlements, expand
existing ones or construct highways for the
exclusive use of Israelis living in these
settlements. The apartheid wall that the Israelis
erected along the West Bank has consumed large
areas of the land that was supposed to be
returned to the Palestinians according to the peace deal.

The apartheid wall and hundreds of checkpoints
turned the West Bank into isolated enclaves like
cells in a large prison, which makes
life intolerable.

Jerusalem is constantly tampered with in order to
alter its landscape and identity, and hundreds of
Palestinian homes have been destroyed inside the
city and around it, making thousands of
Palestinians homeless in their own homeland.
Instead of releasing Palestinian prisoners, the
Israelis have arrested an additional 5,000
Palestinians since the Annapolis peace conference
in 2007 - actions that testify to the fact they
simply aren't interested in peace at all.

KL: Does Hamas engage in military activity outside Palestine?

KM: No; since its establishment 22 years ago,
Hamas has confined its field of military operation to occupied Palestine.

KL: Do you wish to establish an Islamic state in
Palestine in which all other religions are subordinate?

KM: Our priority as a national liberation
movement is to end the Israeli occupation of our
homeland. Once our people are free in their land
and enjoy the right to self-determination, they
alone have the final say on what system of
governance they wish to live under. It is our
firm belief that Islam cannot be imposed on the
people. We shall campaign, in a fully democratic
process, for an Islamic agenda. If that is what
the people opt for, then that is their choice. We
believe that Islam is the best source of guidance
and the best guarantor for the rights of Muslims and non-Muslims alike.

KL: Does Hamas impose Islamic dress in Gaza? For
example, is it compulsory in Gaza for women to wear the hijab, niqab or burqa?

KM: No. Intellectually, Hamas derives its vision
from the people's culture and religion. Islam is
our religion and is the basic constituent of our
culture. We do not deny other Palestinians the
right to have different visions. We do not impose
on the people any aspects of religion or social
conduct. Features of religion in Gaza society are
genuine and spontaneous; they have not been
imposed by any authority other than the faith and conviction of the observant.

KL: It is suggested that the division in the
Palestinian people between the West Bank and Gaza
and between Fatah and Hamas, which obviously
weakens their position, came about because Hamas
seized power by force in Gaza. Is this true and
how do you explain this division?

KM: Undoubtedly, division does weaken the
Palestinians and harms their cause. However, the
division is caused not by Hamas, but by the
insistence of certain international and regional
parties on reversing the results of Palestinian
democracy. It dismayed them that Hamas was elected by the Palestinian people.

The division is compounded by the existence of a
Palestinian party that seeks empowerment from
those same regional and international
parties, including the US and Israel, that wish
to see Hamas out of the arena. Soon after its
victory in the election of January 2006, every
effort was exerted to undermine the ability of Hamas to govern.

When these efforts failed, General Keith Dayton,
of the United States army, who currently serves
as US security co-ordinator for Israel and the
Palestinian Authority, was despatched to Gaza to
plot a coup against the Hamas-led national unity
government that came out of the Mecca agreement
of 2007. The plot prompted Hamas in Gaza to act
in self-defence in the events of June 2007. The
claim that Hamas carried out a coup is baseless
because Hamas was leading the democratically
elected government. All it did was act against
those who were plotting a coup against it under
the command and guidance of General Dayton.

KL: Do those of other political or religious
views such as Fatah enjoy democratic freedoms in
Gaza? What is the situation of Hamas members in
the West Bank territories controlled by Fatah?

KM: Some Palestinian factions have been inspired
by Arab nationalism, others by Marxism or
Leninism, and others by liberalism. While we
strongly believe that these ideas are alien to
our people and have failed to meet their
aspirations, we insist that the people are the
final arbiter on whom they wish to lead them and
by which system they desire to be governed. Thus,
democracy is our best option for settling our
internal Palestinian differences. Whatever the
people choose will have to be respected.

We endeavour to the best of our ability to
protect the human rights and civil liberties of
the affiliates of Fatah and all the other
factions within the Gaza Strip. In contrast, the
Palestinians in the West Bank under Israeli
occupation and the Palestinian Authority in
Ramallah continue to be denied their basic
rights. General Dayton is in the West Bank
supervising the ­severe and brutal crackdown on
Hamas and other Palestinian groups. More than
1,000 political prisoners, including students,
university professors and professionals in all
fields are hunted down, detained and tortured,
sometimes to death, by the US-, British- and
EU-trained and -sponsored Palestinian Authority's security force.

KL: Do you believe it is possible to reunite the
Palestinian people? If so, how do you think this
could be done and within what kind of timescale?

KM: It is possible to reunite the Palestinians.
In order for this to happen two things are
needed. First, foreign interventions and demands
must stop. The Palestinian people should be left
to deal with their own differences without
external pressure. Second, all Palestinian
parties must respect the rules of the democratic
game and submit to the results of its process.

KL: Hamas's refusal to recognise Israel is
frequently cited as an insuperable obstacle to
negotiations and a peace settlement.

KM: This issue is only used as a pretext. Israel
does not recognise the rights of the Palestinian
people, yet this is not raised as an obstacle to
Israel being internationally recognised nor to it
being allowed to take part in talks. The reality
is that Israel is the one that occupies the land
and possesses superior power. Rather than ask the
Palestinians, who are the victims, it is Israel,
who is the oppressor, who should be asked to
recognise the rights of the Palestinians.

In the past, Yasser Arafat recognised Israel but
failed to achieve much. Today, Mahmoud Abbas
recognises Israel, but we have yet to see any of
the promised dividends of the peace process.

Israel concedes only under pressure. In the
absence of any tangible pressure on Israel by the
Arabs or by the international community, no settlement will succeed.

KL: Do you have a "road map" of interim steps
which could realistically lead to a peaceful
settlement of the conflict? Do you think Jews,
Muslims and Christians can one day live together in peace in the Holy Land?

KM: We do, in Hamas, believe that a realistic
peaceful settlement to the conflict will have to
begin with a ceasefire agreement between the two
sides based on a full withdrawal of Israel from
all the territories occupied in 1967. Israeli
intransigence and the lack of will to act on the
part of the international community are what
­impede this settlement. We believe that only
once our people are free and back in their land
will they be able to determine the future of the conflict.

It should be reiterated here that we do not
resist the Israelis because they are Jews. As a
matter of principle, we do not have problems with
the Jews or the Christians, but do have a problem
with those who attack us and oppress us. For many
centuries, Christians, Jews and Muslims coexisted
peacefully in this part of the world. Our society
never witnessed the sort of racism and genocide
that Europe saw until recently against "the
other". These issues started in Eur­ope.
Colonialism was imposed on this region by Europe,
and Israel was the product of the oppression of
the Jews in Europe and not of any such problem that existed in the Muslim land.

KL: What role do you think that other countries
and organisations, in particular the US, EU and
Britain, are currently playing in the Israel/
Palestine conflict and the divisions between the Palestinians?

KM: The role played by all these has thus far
been negative. The attitude towards Israeli
crimes against our people has been either silence
or collusion. The policies and positions adopted
by these parties have contributed to the
Palestinian division or augmented it. On the one
hand, conditions are stipulated that have the
effect of torpedoing unity talks and
reconciliation efforts. On the other hand, some
of these international parties are directly
embroiled in suppressing our people in the West
Bank. The US and the EU provide funding, training
and guidance to build a Palestinian security
apparatus specialised in the persecution of
critics of the Palestinian Authority in Ramallah.

We have particularly been concerned about reports
that the British government, directly as well as
indirectly by means of security firms and the
services of retired army, police and
in­telligence officers, is fully involved in the
programme led by General Dayton against Hamas in the West Bank.

KL: What should countries such as the US and
Britain do to assist a peaceful settlement?

KM: They should simply uphold international law -
the occupation is illegal, the annexation of East
Jerusalem is illegal, the settlements are
illegal, the apartheid wall is illegal, and the
siege of Gaza is illegal. Yet nothing is done.

KL: What relations does Hamas wish to have with
the rest of the world, and, for example, with Britain?

KM: Hamas defends a just cause. For this purpose,
it desires to open up to the world. The movement
seeks to establish good relations and to conduct
constructive dialogue with all those concerned with Palestine.