[News] Rights council adopts Gaza report

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Oct 16 13:13:41 EDT 2009

Rights council adopts Gaza report

Friday, October 16, 2009
18:16 Mecca time, 15:16 GMT
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2009/10/2009101610455533672.html

The UN human rights council has endorsed the
Goldstone report on Israel's war on Gaza, which
accuses the military of using disproportionate
force as well as laying charges of war crimes on
Israeli occupation forces and Hamas.

The council's resolution adopting the report was
passed in Geneva by 25 votes to six with 11
countries abstaining and five declining to vote.

The inquiry, lead by Justice Richard Goldstone,
calls on Ban Ki-moon, the UN secretary-general,
to monitor whether Israel and Hamas conduct
credible investigations into the conflict which took place last winter.

Should the two sides fail to do so, it calls on
the UN Security Council to refer the allegations
to the International Criminal Court.

Hamas 'thankful'

The Palestinian Authority had initially agreed to
defer a vote on the UN-sanctioned report, but
later backtracked under heavy criticism.

In depth

[]

[]
  <http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/10/200910518212141766.html#>Video:
Anger at Abbas
[]
  <http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/09/200991517204625339.html>Video:
Interview with Richard Goldstone
[]
  <http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/01/200917205418665491.html>Timeline:
Gaza War
[]
  <http://english.aljazeera.net/focus/2009/01/20091229274380583.html>Analysis:
War crimes in Gaza?
[]
  <http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrcouncil/specialsession/9/docs/UNFFMGC_Report.pdf>Goldstone's
full report to the UN rights council
[]
  <http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/10/200910395820396287.html>Key
points of the Goldstone report
[]
  <http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2009/09/2009915142916822510.html>UN
inquiry finds Gaza war crimes
[]
  <http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/09/200999114019997778.html>'Half
of Gaza war dead civilians'
[]
  <http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/plohistoryofrevolution/>PLO:
History of a Revolution
[]
  <http://english.aljazeera.net/focus/2009/10/200910475534235872.html>'Israel
has to be accountable'
Al Jazeera is not responsible for external websites' content
The United States and Israel were among those
countries which voted against the resolution.

Mike Hanna, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Geneva,
said the vote was a "very strong victory" for the
supporters of the resolution, but that the large
number of abstentions was also "very significant".

In Gaza, Hamas thanked the nations that voted to endorse the report.

"We hope that vote will lead to a trial of the
occupation leaders," Taher al-Nunu, a Hamas spokesman, said.

Mousa Abu Marzook, the deputy chairman of the
Hamas political bureau in Damascus, Syria, told
Al Jazeera: "We thank our people, all those who
support to submit again this report to the human
rights committee and all the countries who voted for the report.

"I think if the Palestinian Authority didn't
withdraw this report it will be more efficient
and the result will be stronger than the resolution.

"We will co-operate with this report and we will
establish a new committee to investigate.

"Right now, there is no talking with Fatah, but
during the dialogue between Fatah and Hamas in
Egypt, within a few weeks, we are going to talk
about reconciliation and, of course, this kind of
subject we are going to talk about."

Israel condemned

In addition to endorsing the report, the
resolution "strongly condemns all policies and
measures taken by Israel, the occupying power,
including those limiting access of Palestinians
to their properties and holy sites".

Goldstone report vote

[]
  For: Argentina, Brazil, China, Russia, Bahrain,
Bangladesh, Bolivia, Chile, Cuba, Djbouti, Egypt,
Ghana, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Mauritius,
Nicaragua, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar,
Saudi Arabia, Senegal, South Africa and Zambia

[]
  Against: US, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Slovakia and Ukraine

[]
  Abstentions: Belgium, Bosnia, Burkina-Faso,
Cameroon, Gabon, Japan, Mexico, Norway, South Korea, Slovenia and Uruguay

[]
  No vote: UK, France, Madagascar, Kyrgyzstan and Angola
It also calls on Israel to stop digging and
excavation work around the Al-Aqsa mosque as well
as other Islamic and Christian religious sites.

Israel rejected the charges saying the resolution
– drafted by the Palestinians with Egypt,
Nigeria, Pakistan and Tunisia, on behalf of
non-aligned, African, Islamic and Arab nations – threatened peace efforts.

The Goldstone report recommended that its
conclusions be sent on to the International
Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutor in The Hague if
Israel and Hamas do not hold their own credible
investigations into allegations of war crimes within six months.

The report accused Israel of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

It also accused Hamas, which has de facto control
of Gaza, of war crime violations, but reserved
most of its criticism for Israel.

'Rights undermined'

On Thursday, Navi Pillay, the UN human rights
chief, endorsed the report, calling for
"impartial, independent, prompt and effective
investigations" into the alleged war crimes.

Pillay said: "A culture of impunity continues to
prevail in the occupied territories and in
Israel," Pillay said during the UN Human Rights
Council's special debate session on the report on Thursday.

In her speech, Pillay cited concern about the
restrictions on Palestinians wishing to enter
al-Aqsa and expressed "dismay" about the Israeli
blockade of Gaza that she said "severely
undermines the rights and welfare of the population there".

On Thursday, Goldstone, a former South African
judge, criticised the resolution, saying: "I hope
that the council can modify the text."

About 1,400 Palestinians – the majority of them
civilians - and 13 Israelis were killed during
Israel's three-week war on Gaza, which had the
stated aim of stopping rocket attacks by
Palestinian fighters from the coastal territory.