[News] George Galloway - Canada Can't Muzzle Me

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Mar 23 10:31:21 EDT 2009

Canada Can't Muzzle Me

http://www.zcommunications.org/znet/viewArticle/20951

To ban me from the country for my views on
Afghanistan is absurd, hypocritical, and in vain

March 23, 2009 By George Galloway
Source:
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/mar/21/george-galloway-canada>UK
Guardian

The Canadian immigration minister Jason Kenney
gazetted in the Sun yesterday morning that I was
to be excluded from his country because of my
views on Afghanistan. That's the way the
rightwing, last-ditch dead-enders of Bushism in Ottawa conduct their business.

Kenney is quite a card. A quick trawl establishes
he's a gay-baiter, gung-ho armchair warrior, with
an odd habit of exceeding his immigration brief.
Three years ago he attacked the pro-western
Lebanese prime minister, Fuad Siniora, for being
ungrateful to
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/canada>Canada
for its support of Israeli bombardment of his
country. Most curiously of all, in 2006 he
addressed a rally of the so-called People's
Mujahideen of Iran, a Waco-style cult, banned in
the European Union as a terrorist organisation.
On one level being banned by such a man is like
being told to sit up straight by the hunchback of
Notre Dame or being lectured on due diligence by
Conrad Black. On another, for a Scotsman to be
excluded from Canada is like being turned away from the family home.

But what are my views on Afghanistan which the
Canadian government does not want its people to
hear? I've never been to Afghanistan, nor have I
ever met a Taliban, but my first impression into
the parliamentary vellum on the subject was more
than two decades ago. At the time the fathers of
the Taliban were "freedom fighters", paraded at
US Republican and British Tory conferences. Who
knows, maybe even the Canadian right extolled
these god-fearing opponents of communism. I did not, however.

On the eve of their storming of Kabul I told
Margaret Thatcher that she "had opened the gates
to the barbarians" and that "a long, dark night
would now descend upon the people of
Afghanistan". With the same conviction, I say to
the Canadian and other Nato governments today
that your policy is equally a profound mistake.
 From time to time and with increased regularity
it is a crime. Like the bombardment of wedding
parties and even funerals or the presiding over a
record opium crop, which under our noses finds
its way coursing through the veins of young
people from Nova Scotia to Newcastle upon Tyne.
But it is worse than a crime, as Tallyrand said, it's a blunder.

The Afghans have never succumbed to foreign
occupation, heaven knows the British empire
tried, tried and failed again. Not even Alexander
the Great succeeded, and whoever else he is,
minister Kenney is no Alexander the Great. Young
Canadian soldiers are dying in significant
numbers on Afghanistan's plains. Their families
are entitled to know how many of us believe this
adventure to be similarly doomed and that genuine
support for troops - British, Canadian and other
- means bringing them home and changing course.

To ban a five-times elected British MP from
addressing public events or keeping appointments
with television and radio programmes is a serious
matter. Kenney's "spokesman" told the Sun,
"Galloway's not coming in ... end of story." Alas
for him, it's not. Canada remains a free country
governed by law and my friends are even now
seeking a judicial review. And there are other
ways I can address those Canadians who wish to hear me.

More than half a century ago Paul Robeson, one of
the greatest men who ever lived, was forbidden to
enter Canada not by Ottawa but by Washington,
which had taken away his passport. But he was
still able to transfix a vast crowd of
Vancouver's mill hands and miners with a
17-minute telephone concert, culminating in a
rendition of the Ballad of Joe Hill. Technology
has moved on since then. And so from coast to
coast, minister Kenney notwithstanding, I will be heard - one way or another.

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/georgegalloway>George
Galloway is Respect MP for Bethnal Green and Bow
<mailto:gallowayg at parliament.uk>gallowayg at parliament.uk