[News] Free Gaza's ship launches another emergency mission

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jan 12 12:52:45 EST 2009

FREE GAZA TO ISRAEL: WE ARE COMING IN ON TUESDAY

author

  Monday January 12, 2009 08:05
author
 by Free Gaza Movement
<http://www.imemc.org/report_posts?subject=Abusive%20Post%20Report:%20Story%2058427%20with%20title:%20FREE%20GAZA%20TO%20ISRAEL:%20WE%20ARE%20COMING%20IN%20ON%20TUESDAY&message=Abusive%20Post%20Report:%20Story%2058427%20with%20title:%20FREE%20GAZA%20TO%20ISRAEL:%20WE%20ARE%20COMING%20IN%20ON%20TUESDAY%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.imemc.org%2Findex.php%3Fobj_id%3D53%26story_id%3D58427%26%0A%0AEnter+your+reason+here+-+please+do+not+remove+the+above+link+as+it+will+allow+an+editor+to+easily+remove+the+offending+content>

http://www.imemc.org/article/58427

Press release Free Gaza Movement
(Cyprus, 11 January 2009) - Free Gaza's ship, SPIRIT OF HUMANITY,
will leave Larnaca Port at 12:00 noon, Monday, 12 January, on an
emergency mission to besieged Gaza. It will carry desperately needed
doctors, journalists, human rights workers, and members of several
European parliaments plus medical supplies. This voyage marks Free
Gaza's second attempt to break the blockade since Israel began
attacking the Gaza Strip. Between August-December 2008, Free Gaza
successfully challenged the Israeli blockade five times, landing the
first international ships in Gaza port since 1967.

fgm.jpg

Israeli military violently attacked an earlier attempt by Free Gaza
to send an emergency boat with doctors and medical supplies to Gaza.
On 30 December, Israel's navy deliberately, repeatedly and without
warning rammed the unarmed DIGNITY, causing significant structural
damage, endangering the lives of passengers and crew. The ship found
safe haven in Lebanon, and awaited repairs.

Fouad Ahidar, a Belgian parliamentarian sailing to Gaza aboard SPIRIT
OF HUMANITY, responded to concerns that Israel may attack the unarmed
mercy ship: "I have five children very worried about me, but I told
them, you can sit on your sofa and watch these atrocities on TV, or
you can choose to take action to make them stop."

Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip have injured thousands of civilians
and killed over 800 people, including hundreds of women and children.
This ongoing massacre is a massive violatation of international
humanitarian law, defined by the Geneva Conventions, especially
obligations of an Occupying Power and requirements of laws in war.
The United Nations has failed to protect the Palestinian civilian
population from Israel's violations of IHL. Israel has closed off
Gaza from the international community (today refusing to allow a
European parliamentary delegation to enter via Rafah) and demanded
that all foreigners leave.

Huwaida Arraf, a Free Gaza organizer, states, "We cannot just sit by
and wait for Israel to decide to stop the killing and open the
borders for relief workers to pick up the pieces. We are coming in.
There is an urgent need for this mission as Palestinian civilians in
Gaza are being terrorized and slaughtered by Israel, and access to
humanitarian relief denied to them. When states and the international
bodies responsible for taking action to stop such atrocities choose
to be impotent, then we--the citizens of the world--must act. Our
common humanity demands nothing less."

Israel has been notified by fax that we are coming. A copy of our
notification to Israeli Authorities is attached. The media is invited
to Larnaca Port at 10:00am for final preparations and a press
conference before departure. ###

Official Notification of Intent to Enter

January 11, 2009