[News] You can help sustain the Freedom Archives

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Nov 28 12:40:52 EST 2008

[]

“The future belongs to those that prepare for it today.” –Malcolm X

Dear Friends,

With your help over the past year, the Freedom
Archives’ youth program has grown substantially.
We have trained over 25 young people in archival
and production work, and have continued to
partner with other local organizations and
schools to expand our impact. We are co-teaching
an after-school program with Galeria de la Raza
that explores the history of youth-led movements
in the Bay Area and guides youth through creating
multi-media projects inspired by and re-imagining this history.

Our work in classrooms is reaching a greater
number of students and includes a five-part
series on progressive Bay Area history in a
social studies class at June Jordan High School
for Equity. In this series we utilize the unique
and rich media in the Archives to create a
dynamic approach to teaching this important
movement history. We continue to strengthen our
community programs at San Francisco City College,
San Francisco State, and other community institutions.

With the release of our Paul Robeson CD “Words
Like Freedom” earlier this year, we were touched
to discover how many were inspired by the
timeliness and continued relevance of Robeson’s
anti-imperialist and internationalist message.
It’s also amazing to realize that it was only
through your support in the past year that we
were able to complete that important project
which has been so greatly received.

And With Your Continued Support, We Just Keep On Rolling Along

In the last 18 months Freedom Archives has taken
on one of our most ambitious projects-a
documentary film on the history of the FBI COINTELPRO program.

We are confident that this project, like many
Freedom Archives’ efforts, addresses contemporary
issues and stories that are at the core of why
the Freedom Archives exists and why you have
supported our work for the last nine years. We
know that you realize that it is more important
than ever before to not only maintain but build
community projects that address our youth, our
families, our political prisoners, our communities, and our future.

Now we need YOUR HELP to raise $10,000 to complete COINTELPRO 101.

We previewed a 10-minute segment of the film at
the recent Critical Resistance 10 conference in
Oakland where our COINTELPRO panel featured human
rights attorney Soffiyah Elijah, former
Congressperson Cynthia McKinney, Elliot
Monteverde, an attorney and NY Puerto Rico Grand
Jury resister, and Lucy Rodriguez, a Puerto Rican
Independentista and former political prisoner.

The response to the film and the panel was
overwhelming. Our plan for distribution of
COINTELPRO 101 is scheduled for next year and our
hope is that it sparks renewed interest in
re-opening an investigation into government
repression that includes accountability for
agents and agencies who have violated people’s
civil rights – including the ongoing imprisonment
of those targeted by COINTELPRO and other programs of political repression.

We need you to continue to be a part of this
significant work by inviting you to join our new
monthly sustainer program at the rate of $25 a
month or more.  Monthly sustainership allows you
to give an amount that’s meaningful to you but
fits your monthly budget while also allowing us
to plan more accurately and continue our work
knowing we can count on your regular donation.
    * A $25 monthly donation would strengthen our
operating budget insuring that we can continue to
produce important documentary projects.
    * A $35 monthly donation would allow us to
invest in much needed equipment for our youth programs.
    * A $50 monthly donation would help us
complete COINTELPRO 101 and create an effective distribution plan.

Join other community members, friends, and family
in giving monthly by visiting our website:
<http://www.freedomarchives.org>www.freedomarchives.org
and following the link on any page to make a
contribution.  You can also make a one time
online contribution or simply send your check in
the return envelope to the Freedom Archives. You
can maximize your contribution this way by
helping us avoid credit card transaction fees.

Please also visit our web site to see some of the
exciting projects that our joint efforts have
produced. We are especially proud of the
internationally recognized video “Legacy of
Torture” that continues to mobilize and educate
people about the ongoing case of the San
Francisco 8. More information can also be found
at <http://www.freethesf8.org/>www.freethesf8.org.

We thank you deeply in advance; for nine years
the support of hundreds of people like you has
sustained us as a radical independent
organization, keeping us from being reliant on
foundations. We hope you will continue to support
The Freedom Archives knowing that our work is
especially important now in these difficult but hopeful times.

Emacs!