[News] Finally, A Journalist We Can Look Up To!

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Dec 15 12:55:46 EST 2008

http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff12152008.html

December 15, 2008

Finally, A Journalist We Can Look Up To!

A Hero of Our Time: Muntadar al-Zaidi

By DAVE LINDORFF

When Iraqi journalist Muntadar al-Zaidi heaved
his two shoes at the head of President George W.
Bush during a press conference in Baghdad, he did
something that the White House press corps should have done years ago.

Al-Zaidi listened to Bush blather that the
half-decade of war he had initiated with the
illegal invasion of Iraq had been “necessary for
US security, Iraqi stability (sic) and world
peace” and something just snapped. The television
correspondent, who had been kidnapped and held
for a while last year by Shiite militants, pulled
off a shoe and threw it at Bush­a serious insult
in Iraqi culture­and shouted “This is a farewell
kiss, you dog!”  When the first shoe missed its
target, he grabbed a second shoe and heaved it
too, causing the president to duck a second time
as al-Zaidi shouted, “This is from the widows,
the orphans, and those who were killed in Iraq!”

I’ll admit, listening to Bush lie his way through
eight years of press conferences, while
pre-selected reporters played along and pretended
to get his attention so they could ask questions
which had been submitted and vetted in advance, I
have felt like throwing my shoes at the television set.

Al-Zaidi, who paid for his courageous act of
protest by being brutally beaten by security
guards, is a hero of the profession.  He stopped
taking the president’s BS and called him what he
is: a murderer and a criminal, with the blood of
perhaps upwards of a million Iraqis on his hands.
Al-Zaidi used what was supposed to be a staged
photo-op for the president as an opportunity to
speak up for those whose lives have been ruined
by this president­the ones our suck-up journalists routinely ignore.

I’m not suggesting that journalists should
routinely leave presidential press conferences in
their stocking feet.  We have different ways of
expressing our sentiments to people we feel have
insulted our intelligence than throwing shoes at
them, but it would be nice to see a journalist or
two flip the president the bird when he lies so
blatantly to them. Or they could all get up and
just walk out, leaving him standing alone at the presidential lectern.

It’s time for the press corps to stop treating
presidents like royalty.  If he accomplished
anything at all in eight years in office,
President Bush has demonstrated that, to the
contrary, the president is a very ordinary­and in
his case a rather less than ordinary­man. The
office of president deserves no more respect than
that of the mayor of Detroit, or of Wasilla.

My suggestion is that the press corps use the
remaining five weeks of the Bush administration
to develop a new relationship with the
presidency­one in which they drop all the phony
propriety and tradition and start acting like
boisterous newshounds of old, barking questions,
laughing cruelly at inane answers, demanding
follow-ups when they are given the run-around,
and, where necessary, walking out, or perhaps tossing the occasional shoe.

The journalism profession was a full-blown
disaster and an utter disgrace during the Bush
administration, and with all the crises facing
the country and the world, in part because of
that failure on their part, we cannot afford to
have them continue that failure into the Obama administration.

With the Bush administration reduced to a running
joke at this point, it gives the journalism
profession a chance to redeem itself by using
these few remaining weeks to establish a new
tradition for presidential press conferences and
photo-ops­one that can continue on into the new presidency.

Meanwhile, I’m suggesting that my alma mater, the
Columbia University Graduate School of
Journalism, hire al=Zaidi to teach a class in
press conference journalism techniques. They
should make it a multi-year appointment, because
if he left after just one year, his would be difficult shoes to fill.

NOTE: Speaking of shoes and the White House, Skip
Mendler of Honesdale, PA has a great idea. He
suggests that everyone who is disgusted with the
outgoing Bush/Cheney administration send a shoe
to the White House. Just imagine a pile up of a
million smelly old running shoes in the White
House mailroom! I think he's got something. Spread the word!

DAVE LINDORFF is a Philadelphia-based journalist
and columnist. His latest book is “The Case for
Impeachment” (St. Martin’s Press, 2006 and now in
paperback). His work is available at
<http://www.thiscantbehappening.net/>www.thiscantbehappening.net