[News] ICE Repression against fire evacuees in San Diego

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 29 10:37:50 EDT 2007

Inhumane Treatment of Evacuees by San Diego City Officials
by NaNa

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/10/26/18456262.php

Friday Oct 26th, 2007 3:59 PM

This is an email that I received today from the San Diego Immigrant
Rights Consortium. It goes in to great detail about how the City of
San Diego has been treating evacuees at Qualcomm Stadium.

BORDER PATROL PRESENCE AT QUALCOMM:

City officials in charge of the evacuation site at Qualcomm invited a
Border Patrol information unit to drive in a van and set up a tent
next to FEMA and Red Cross inside the stadium. Although the unit is
present to provide map information for burn areas, the presence of a
BP van and uniformed BP officers has intimidated a number of
immigrant families seeking refuge. The presence of BP led a volunteer
today who was registering evacuees to turn away undocumented
individuals because the volunteer presumed that the evacuees would be
in danger of apprehension, especially following an incident yesterday
(described below). She did not communicate this to those turned away.
She simply turned them away from the only open evacuation center in
the county.

POLICE VIOLATION OF IMMIGRATION ENFORCEMENT POLICY:

Yesterday (Wednesday), the police initiated an immigration
enforcement action that was contrary to their policy of not calling
in Border Patrol / ICE unless and until they file a formal criminal
charge against a person. Police detained approximately 12 evacuees
(at least four were children) who they alleged were "looting" donated
blankets, food, and toys for the children. The detained evacuees and
witnesses reported to us that volunteers were urging all evacuees,
some of whom were preparing to return home after two days, to take as
much as they could because the evacuees might find their home damaged
and might not be able to access food and other important items due to
the evacuation and destruction of stores in the area. Taking this to
heart, the evacuees in question who were part of the same family,
gathered multiple blankets and as much food as they could carry in
preparation of returning home. There have been no shortage of donated
goods and in fact, the city has asked the good people of the city to
stop donating items.

The evacuees were detained by the police for three hours on site
without being charged. The police asked the evacuees for their
documents. When they presented none, the police called in an outside
unit of Border Patrol to conduct an "immigration inspection". The
police never brought any charges against the evacuees. Prior to the
arrival of the BP, a Channel 8 cameraman attempted to film the police
interaction with the evacuees. One of the officers covered the camera
with his hand, pushed it and the cameraman away, and took the
microphone from the reporter. When a Spanish-speaking volunteer
attempted to intervene to assist the family, one of the officers took
her picture with his cell phone to intimidate her. When BP, came they
asked the detained evacuees for documents and six of them (plus a
2-year old U.S. citizen child of one of the evacuees) were taken
away, held for several hours without food, and deported. They are
needless to say devastated.

Yesterday and this morning, both SDPD and BP reported out that the
detained evacuees had confessed to "looting" for the purposes of
selling the merchandise. AFSC spoke to the evacuees in Tijuana today
and they say emphatically that they never confessed to this. There
are no witnesses to this alleged confession. Piolin, a national radio
personality from LA paraded through the stadium after the incident
and congratulated law enforcement for getting rid of looters. All of
the local media outlets regurgitated the law enforcement line about
looting, despite being advised by witnesses that they had seen
something to the contrary. Lots of comments about how we don't want
those people in our country. I heard one BP officer say in defense of
the deportation, "Immigrants don't want these kind of people here
representing them."

After the incident, Kevin Keenan from ACLU spoke to Chief Lansdowne
about our concerns about the improper police pass off. He assured
Kevin and then later the public in a press statement that the police
were not interested in immigration enforcement. Later that night,
around midnight, police walked around the stadium from family to
family asking for identification and proof of residency in an
evacuated zone. One ID was sufficient for a family. The problem of
course was that lots of individuals and families could not produce
IDs or the ID addresses did not correspond to an evacuated zone and
some folks were just plain homeless and had come in for shelter from
the air. Those who could not produce the proper IDs were escorted out
in the middle of the night. Those who remained were given wrist bands.

CLIMATE OF INTIMIDATION:

This morning, District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis congratulated law
enforcement for eradicating freeloaders from the stadium and stated
that no evacuees would be allowed into the stadium without
identification. Pursuant to an agreement between Kevin and Lansdowne,
the SDIRC was allowed to set up a table inside the stadium between
FEMA and BP. Half a dozen families approached the table stating that
they had slept in the parking lot during the night as they had for
several nights and when they attempted to enter, they were asked for
their IDs. At least one family member in each family was undocumented
and were intimidated. One evacuee, after failing to produce an ID,
was asked what his immigration status was by a volunteer, then
threatened that he might be arrested if immigration officials
approached. The undocumented members were let in only because they
had other family members who could show a license, a "green card", a
consular ID card, or an address. All homeless persons were turned
away. No address, no service. All persons who failed to show any of
the above and did not have a documented family member were turned away.

Another half dozen individuals informed us that they had been
detained and questioned by police in the parking lot or while exiting
the stadium for allegedly looting or taking more than their fair
share of free donated items. Families were asked to count heads for
all the blankets in their possession. Some families were taking items
back to family members who were too scared to come in. In one
instance, police put orange cones around a car until it was
"cleared." Towards the end of the day, families with undocumented
members were afraid to leave or afraid to take any food or blankets
with them for fear of being detained and deported, since they were
doing no different than the family deported yesterday. We escorted
some of them out.

It should be noted that it was not just immigrants, but other persons
of color who were harassed and suspected of looting. An African
American woman was harassed for making two trips with a baby stroller
filled with items (I witnessed this one). She attempted to register a
complaint with the police officer in charge who treated her poorly
and refused to process a complaint. We took a written statement. She
was so upset by the end of the day and afraid to leave with anything
else, that she told me she was headed back to Oklahoma (she had only
recently moved). A Filipino volunteer who had been helping people day
and night was thrown out for making two trips out to cars, both times
to assist people to their cars. The officer threatened to tazer him
and charge him with trespassing. When the volunteer coordinator tried
to intervene on behalf of the star volunteer, he was pushed out of
the way. After the incident he was told not to talk to anyone. We
filmed the incident and tried to talk to the volunteer coordinator,
but he had recently survived deportation proceedings and was so
scared (in part because he did not have his green card on him) that
he considered walking away from his job right then and there. Another
Latina woman was denied diapers for her baby because she was told
there were none. She stepped aside and then watched as a White woman
asked for the same size of diapers and was given them. The woman was
upset and only successfully acquired diapers when Pedro from AFSC
went with her to ask. When I left today, there was a mountain
(possibly 1,000 bags) of diapers. There was also a mountain of
donated items that could have served 10 times the number of people
left in the stadium. The whole afternoon, we watched White evacuees
take cases of water and other large loads to their cars without being
questioned.

WHAT NOW:

SDIRC will continue to observe potential abuses of immigrants at the
evacuation centers. We talked to the media a lot today to draw their
attention to the disparate treatment. We have been in communication
with the Chief of Police and with politicians to press for services
and a welcoming climate for immigrants and other people of color
(regardless of status). We are helped by our many allies. We are
preparing to launch a multilingual hotline for immigrants, and hope
to do much more.