[News] Meditations in a Time of Delusions and Lies 20: Don't Support the Troops

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Mar 14 08:55:20 EDT 2007

From: Hilton Obenzinger <obenzinger at stanford.edu>

Meditations in a Time of Delusions and Lies 20: Don’t Support the Troops

Hilton Obenzinger

I write these meditations from time to time in an
attempt to stay sane.  If you find them tedious,
apply the magic of delete.  If you want to share
them with others, feel free to do so.

March 11, 2007

------------------

I don’t Support the Troops.

There, I said it.  I hope I don’t lose my
job.  Or get hauled off to Guantanamo.

Perhaps more accurately, I don’t support the
mantra of Support the Troops.  That particular
tape loop joins other great, simplistic slogans
and euphemisms like War on Terror and Axis of
Evil and Cut and Run and Extraordinary Rendition
and Surge, all of which are designed, in various
combinations, to obfuscate or confuse or pander
or strike fear.  It’s remarkable how so many
Americans fall for such language, but that’s the
way it goes.  Even people against the war in Iraq
often frame their opposition in a kind of ironic
use of the dominant language: Support the Troops, Bring Them Home.

Many others have commented on the manipulative
use of such demagogic slogans to support the
militarist mindset.  But I want to address why I
don’t Support the Troops in particular because
volumes of history stand behind those three
simple words.  And that history is the war in Vietnam.

The myth circulated by politicians, rightwing
ideologues, and much popular culture (e.g.,
Rambo) even before the Viet Cong and North
Vietnamese entered Saigon in triumph goes
something like this: We lost because we did not
support the troops.  After years of
demonstrations by spoiled middle-class students
and other “nattering nabobs of negativity,”
Congress eventually cut the funds to the war and
the president  was forced to begin withdrawing
troops because the American people didn’t have
the stomach to do the job right.  If we had only,
uh, stayed the course, the U.S. would have
won.  But the military was stabbed in the back,
there were no parades when soldiers came home,
scruffy students yelled that grunts were baby
killers, and hippie girls even spit in the faces
of GIs as they stepped off the planes.

So, when politicians insist that they Support the
Troops, even if they are against the war, when
the Democrats gingerly frame all of their
ineffective efforts to stop Bush’s militarist
agenda as supporting the troops, they don’t want
to be tainted by the (falsified) memory of Vietnam.

Screw ’em.

The U.S. lost primarily because of the resistance
and sacrifices of the Vietnamese people.  But the
great majority of Americans ended up opposing the
war in Vietnam, and that opposition was one of
the great movements for freedom in our country’s
history.  Students and other young people did
comprise an important part of the anti-war
movement, but perhaps even more importantly so
did African Americans and other minorities who
were in open revolt at their racist treatment at
home and the injustice of the war abroad.

Yet there was yet another crucially important
component of the anti-war movement: GIs
themselves.  Grunts refused orders, gung-ho
officers were fragged, and soldiers put out
underground newspapers, hung out at GI coffee
houses organized by recent vets and others, and
attended FTA shows near bases put on by Jane
Fonda, Donald Sutherland, Barbara Dane and
others.  THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT WAS THE
TROOPS.  Soldiers came home and testified about
massacres (John Kerry’s noblest moment), they
threw their medals away, and many were sickened
by the thought of any parades and joined
demonstrations instead.  There was a great deal
of bitterness, to be sure, but the troops were
our families, our classmates, our friends, us,
and everyone against the war sorrowed over the
rotten deal they were dealt.  And, as research
has shown, no hippie girl ever spit at a soldier
– that story is, quite literally, a myth.

What the troops did find when they returned was
what we see today.  Miserable treatment by
military hospitals and the VA.  What today we
recognize as post-traumatic stress disorder came
to light first as post-Vietnam disorder, which
was mainly ignored but brought to light to a
great degree by vets and anti-war activists.  So
many vets ended up homeless and miserable because
they did not receive the proper treatment.  Sound familiar?

Soon after starting the war, the Bush
administration announced that it was cutting the
budget to the VA.  Such bald-faced hypocrisy
seemed to go unnoticed.  But once again, on-duty
soldiers and recent vets are making up an
important part of the anti-war movement.  The
horrible conditions at Walter Reed have actually
been known for some time, but now a qualitative
stage has been reached, and opinion has tilted to make a new scandal.

I won’t even talk about the misery of the Iraqi people.

We do not need to support the war machine to love
our own people.  We can support our brothers and
sisters, our mothers and our fathers without
chiming in with the slogans of criminals trying to deceive us.

I support the soldiers who are disgusted,
dismayed, and in revolt just like the rest of
us.  But I don't Support the Troops.

Hilton Obenzinger
obenzinger at stanford.edu