[News] Panther DVD release @ AK Press Mon Oct

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 9 11:53:41 EDT 2006

http://akpress.org/2006/items/whatwewantwhatwebelieve

Monday, October 16th—What We Want, What We Believe DVD release
Film-showing and conversation with Newsreel
archivist, Roz Payne and former Black Panthers
7:30pm at the AK Press Warehouse

Join us on the 40th anniversary of the Black
Panther Party as we
launch<http://www.akpress.org/2006/items/whatwewantwhatwebelieve>
What We Want, What We Believe
a four-DVD collection chronicling the Panthers
and their supporters. The DVDs—released to
coincide with the  40th anniversary of the
Panthers  —include three acclaimed Newsreel
films, and a mmassive quantity of rare and
exclusive materials culled from Roz Payne's
extensive collection of FBI documents, correspondence, and interviews.
We'll be playing selections from the DVDs, and
Roz will be joined in conversation with former
Black Panthers, Billy Jennings and Evans Hopkins, among others.

EVENTS ARE AT THE AK PRESS WAREHOUSE,
AK Press 674-A 23rd. St Oakland, CA
b/t MLK and San Pablo - near 19th St. BART and West Grand Exit of 80/980
For more info contact:
AK Press at 510.208.1700, akpress at akpress.org or visit www.akpress.org

What We Want, What We Believe: The Black Panther Party Library

Donald Cox (Included), Beverly Axelrod
(Included), Elizabeth Fink (Included), Marilyn
Buck (Included), Kathleen Neal Cleaver
(Included), Roz Payne (Editor), and Bobby Seale (Included)
ISBN:
Publisher: AK Press
Release Date: 2006-10-10

ITEM OVERVIEW
"The invaluable Movement documentaries Newsreel
produced furthered the work of the Black Panther
Party and now provide the esdentail visual record
of the Party's early days. This new dvd
collection offers an extraordinary compilation
that includes historic behind the scenes details
taken from a wide range of interviews and
contemporary events as well as the classic
Newsreel films."—Kathleen Cleaver, Communications
Secretary, Black Panther Partyy, 1967–1971

For the first time on DVD, AK Press is proud to
present three acclaimed Newsreel Films on the
Black Panther Party: Off the Pig; Mayday; and Repression.

Formed in 1967, the Newsreel film collective was
dedicated to chronicling and analyzing current
events. In their time, they produced more than
three dozen films throughout the US and abroad.
By working directly with the Black Panthers,
Newsreel was able to explore realities often
ignored by traditional media outlets, while
producing documents that the Panthers and other
activists could use in organizing their own
communities. The results speak for themselves and
stand as true testimonials to the spirit of
community self-defense and political savvy the
Panthers are celebrated—and were targetedd—for.

Accompanying the Newsreel films is a massive
quantity of rare and exclusive materials culled
from Roz Payne's extensive collection of FBI
documents, correspondence, and interviews with
Black Panthers and their supporters. It's all
here, the government-sponsored repression, the
trials, exile, triumph, and reunion.

What We Want, What We Believe is not a
straight-forward documentary—the additional
materials are like Roz Payne's home moviesâ—but
more like a tapestry woven from fragments of
cloth. As a whole, these fragments present a rich
and provocative history, straight from the mouths
of Panthers, their supporters, and even the
agents charged with neutralizing them.

These materials—over 12 hours—are crucial to our
continuing ng understanding of the Black Panther
Party and their legacy. Any student of American
History, Black Studies, Political Science & Law,
Film Studies, or Civil Rights struggles will find
a wealth of valuable information in the Library.

A portion of the proceeds from this project will
go to support Black Panther Prisoners through
Books Behind Bars, the Jericho Movement, and the
Human Rights Research Fund. We urge you to seek
out these groups and donate time and resources to their ongoing work.

This 12-hour DVD features three films on the
Black Panther Party and additional footage on their history and legacy.
Special bonus features: Documents from the Roz
Payne Archives chronicling the movement and
repression against it. English Language, Region Free
Disc One:
Three Newsreel Films, Interviews with Field
Marshall Donald Cox, Footage from 35th Anniversary Reunion
Disc Two:
s with Former FBI Agents discussing COINTELPRO
tactics, Footage from the Wheelock Academic Conference on the BPP
Disc Three:
Interviews with various movement lawyers discussing Panther cases
Disc Four:
Interviews with Newsreel members, DVD-Rom extras from the Roz Payne Archives