[News] Activists speak at FBI class in Quantico

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sun Oct 8 14:07:11 EDT 2006

By Claude Marks and friends – October 8, 2006

The FBI has recently asked several activists to
speak to a class at its Academy in Quantico,
Virginia about the very social movements that
they are targeting for repression. The agent in
charge, Andrew Bringuel, is a retired Major and
worked with military intelligence. In his
solicitation letter to activists he writes:

"I am an instructor/researcher at the FBI Academy
at Quantico, Virginia. I teach a course that
deals with understanding the motives and tactics
of activist groups/individuals and the
government’s response options. The class is
taught to police executives from the United
States and around the world through the FBI’s National Academy program.

"The class studies both historical and
contemporarily significant groups in order to
understand their motives and tactics. They also
look at ways government can respond to maintain
social order while resolving conflict. The class
is taught as a graduate level course through a
partnership between the FBI and University of Virginia."

Some people agreed to be part of the class. This
decision raises serious questions about the
principles guiding activists in their dealings
with the FBI.  One person invited, Dr. Jerry
Vlasak, refused the invitation (his exchange with
the FBI follows). Unfortunately others have
accepted the invitation, including some who have
been leaders of radical movements in the past.
While many young activists around the country are
soul searching about whether they should talk to
one of the numerous grand juries that have been
convened around the country, some people decided
that their input at the FBI’s class might, in
some Machiavellian slight of hand,  help widen
the split between the Bureau and its fascist
masters. Despite attempts to justify this
decision with left sounding language, it is clear
that the real winners in this game of cooptation are the state and the FBI.

In a period of growing fascism, one of the
benchmarks of activist resistance must be non
collaboration with the state and all its
agencies. As the FBI has amped up its attacks
over the past couple of years against Muslims,
Black Panthers eco-justice activists and animal
rights organizers, they are eager to redefine all
acts of resistance as terrorism and to get those
who once might have supported militant resistance
to repudiate it in the name of
non-violence.  Apparently, some people were
seduced by the FBI assurance that “With 100 years
of history of course mistakes were made.  Lessons
learned from mistakes like COINTELPRO have led to
reforms and oversight of the agency.”  This
assertion strains credibility if one looks at the FBI’s recent track record.

Five former Black Panthers were jailed in 2005
for not cooperating with the same agents that
tortured them in New Orleans in 1973. The Green
Scare rounded up dozens of animal rights and
eco-justice activists several of whom were set up
by the FBI. The threat of many years of
imprisonment has shaken the principles of many
young activists who agree to turn on their
friends and cooperate for life with FBI
investigators.  Members of the Black community in
Florida were set up by an FBI agent provocateur.
Blacks and/or Muslims are prosecuted and
imprisoned as terrorists in Buffalo and Portland,
Oregon. Middle East scholars are convicted for
“aiding terrorists” because they support the
Palestinian resistance against Israeli genocide
and colonialism. Other professors are denied
entry to the u.s. and their jobs have been
threatened because they challenge the notion that
it is irrational to hate the u.s. People are
pulled off planes or denied entry into the u.s.
because of their names, others are deported,
communities flooded with agents whose purpose is
to intimidate and frighten people into
cooperation. Animal enterprise terrorism becomes
a new club against people whose impact on
business and animal research is effective – long prison terms are meted out.

So what would possess activists to help teach a
class to the FBI at Quantico in this atmosphere?
Have they been oblivious to their recent
activities or is there something more self-serving going on here?

We wonder when given the opportunity whether they
questioned the FBI about the current CIA
practices of dehumanizing the enemy through
extraordinary rendition, torture and denial of
basic human rights protected by international
law.  Is it comforting to any of us that were
able to sit down and have a “human” conversation
with these FBI agents on a one-to-one level?  Or
is it, in fact, deeply disturbing?

Many victims of COINTELPRO still languish in u.s.
prisons like Leonard Peltier, Mumia Abu-Jamal,
Herman Bell, Oscar Lopez-Rivera and Marilyn Buck.
How long and how many lives will it take for
people to realize that whatever you say to the
FBI can be used against you and your friends? Are
these activists somehow above the fray?

Let us not forget that today’s agency has never
been held accountable for the hundreds of victims
of the FBI’s wrath – the Fred Hamptons and Ana
Mae Aquashes of the world
or to Filiberto Ojeda
Rios who was assassinated by the “reformed” FBI
just a year ago in Puerto Rico?

What Follows is an exchange made public in July
by Dr. Jerry Vlasak who chose to reject the FBI’s
offer of participating at the Quantico class and which is posted on the web:

<http://animalliberationfront.com/ALFront/AgainstALF/NAALPO-FBI.htm>http://animalliberationfront.com/ALFront/AgainstALF/NAALPO-FBI.htm

Press Officer Turns Down FBI Offer to Speak at HQ in Quantico

Canoga Park, CA: Two weeks ago one of the North
American Animal Liberation Press Officers
received an unsolicited offer by email from FBI
Headquarters in Quantico, Virginia to speak to a
classroom full of "police executives".

As long as non-human animals continue to be
oppressed, imprisoned, tortured and murdered by
humans for their personal pleasure and profit,
the Press Office will continue to support those
brave warriors who risk their lives and freedom
to fight for animal liberation. And we certainly
have no plans to educate state police agencies on how to catch them.

The following reply was returned this week; the
original request is reprinted below that.

July 4, 2006
Dear Mr. Bringuel:

While I appreciate your offer to speak to "police
executives" from around the world at the FBI
Academy in Quantico, VA, I must decline to do so.
My role as Press Officer with the North American
Animal Liberation Press Office is to explain and
support the liberation of animals who are
imprisoned, tortured, exploited, and murdered by
the billions; the role of the Federal Bureau of
Investigation and other state police agencies is
to target, harass, imprison, or otherwise
"neutralize" those who break unjust laws that
perpetuate the oppression and slaughter of innocent, defenseless animals.

Because our goals are ideologically and
diametrically opposed, there is no reason to
believe that any information I impart to your
classes will be employed in any manner other than
to further your own illicit goals of suppression
of liberation activities. I have no intention of
aiding and abetting your agency by providing
information and insights that might be used against activists.

I am aware that others from the animal
rights/liberation movement have cooperated with
your agency, but I am not interested in doing so.
As you are no doubt aware, I have chosen in the
past to speak to members of the U.S. Senate
Environment and Public Works Committee on the
subject, but they constitute an elected body that
presumably can be educated to effect change that
might benefit animals. Your agency has goals
pertaining only to the maintenance of the status
quo (or - as you state it so characteristically -
the "social order") by quashing those who challenge immoral and unjust laws.

Perhaps one day the state will recognize its
obligation to stop the oppression of non-human
animals - not unlike governments that have been
forced to recognize the rights of various human
groups in places like Algeria, South Africa, Viet
Nam, and here in the United States where black
humans suffered (and continue to suffer) from inhumane treatment by whites.

Some nations have stopped the most cruel
practices of veal crates, chicken battery cages,
and cosmetic testing on animals - while others,
like Barcelona, are legislating rights for some
non-human primates. Until that day when non-human
beings are afforded the right to be free of human
domination, I will support those who risk their
freedom for the animals and will continue to
educate the media about why some activists decide
to go underground to liberate animals and stop
the horrific crimes perpetrated daily - and with
your express blessings - against non-humans.

Sincerely:

Jerry W. Vlasak, MD
Press Officer
North American Animal Liberation Press Office
<http://www.animalliberationpressoffice.org/>www.animalliberationpressoffice.org

"When a person places the proper value on
freedom, there is nothing under the sun that she
will not do to acquire that freedom. Whenever you
hear a person saying he wants freedom, but in the
next breath she is going to tell you what she
won't do to get it, or what he doesn't believe in
doing in order to get it, he doesn't believe in
freedom. A person who believes in freedom will do
anything under the sun to acquire...or preserve his freedom."-- Malcolm X

Bringuel, Andrew wrote:

Dr. Vlasak;
My name is Andrew Bringuel and I am an
instructor/researcher at the FBI Academy at
Quantico, Virginia. I teach a course that deals
with understanding the motives and tactics of
activist groups/individuals and the government’s
response options. The class is taught to police
executives from the United States and around the
world through the FBI’s National Academy program.
The class studies both historical and
contemporarily significant groups in order to
understand their motives and tactics. They also
look at ways government can respond to maintain
social order while resolving conflict. The class
is taught as a graduate level course through a
partnership between the FBI and University of
Virginia. I bring in different speakers
representing many different world views. I am
looking to establish a speaker’s bureau so I have
a ready group of available speakers for future classes.
I believe your insights as a leader in the animal
rights community would be beneficial for the
students. I have hosted Anthony Nocella and
Charlotte Laws.*  Both provided valuable insight
and felt the experience to be a positive one. I
don’t have much of a budget for guest instructors
but I can pay $600 for your expenses and time.
The block of instruction would be 2 hours and I
am looking for a speaker for the 2nd quarter of 2007 (February/March).
Let me know if you are interested or if you have any questions.
Thank you,
Andy Bringuel

* While the FBI mentions these two activists by
name, there are others who attended. Be aware
that this ‘friendly’ and educational approach may be ongoing!