[News] An Exclusive Interview with Zapatista Subcomandante Marcos

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed May 31 17:30:26 EDT 2006

The Extra Element: Organization

http://www.narconews.com/Issue41/article1856.html

An Exclusive Interview with Zapatista Subcomandante Marcos: Part I

By Sergio Rodríguez Lascano
Rebeldía Magazine

May 30, 2006

Rebeldía: For a long time the EZLN (Zapatista
Army of National Liberation) has talked about a
global tendency: the crisis of the Nation-State.
At the core of this idea is the transformation of
a series of political paradigms that once were
the bases of the theory of the Nation-State.
We’re not asking for another explanation of what
you have already said. The question is more
concrete: What relationship does this vision have
with the proposals of the Other Campaign?

Subcomandante Insurgente Marcos: The most basic
thing we see is that this crisis is yet to be
resolved. Not, as some think, by returning to the
fundamental and original bases of the Nation
State, but, rather, in the context of what is
happening at the global level, with globalization
and neoliberalism. We say that the destruction of
the bases of the national States has been so
extreme that it is impossible to reconstruct them from above.

But there is an entire sector of the new
political class, or the reactivation of some
sectors of the political class, that proposes to
reorganize the Nation State: to make it function
anew, today, in this stage of savage capitalism.

This reconstruction or this reorganization of the
national States, that are already inside the
perspective of globalization, means, on the one
hand, the most important threat to social
movements, to popular movements, and in general
to the movements of rebellion throughout the
world. And on the other hand, this reordering of
the States and their governments is going to mean
that they have just assured the destruction of
the planet. And I don’t refer to that in a symbolic way, but a real one.

That is, the big multinational businesses in
their voraciousness are literally destroying
nature: the springs, forests, beaches and rivers.
And then that State, that new State is emerging.
The tips of its iceberg are: the new State in
Brazil with (President) Lula (da Silva), also in
some other parts of South America, and in this
proposal by the parliamentary left or the
institutional left of the PRD (Democratic
Revolution Party in Mexico) and of (its
presidential candidate Andrés Manuel) López Obrador.

The EZLN has begun to make note of this
reordering process. It’s already going to be
different than it was with (former Mexican
president Ernesto) Zedillo and with (president
Vicente) Fox, this species of disorder or chaos
in which the managers that are in the government
and in the State are simply operating things. Now
it’s about a recuperation of the Man of the
State, the statist of old, but now with another
perspective. This reordering, a dispute over the
social project will be, and – as they say up
above – what the project of the nation will be,
is coming. And if there is no alternative to the
proposal from above, a major moral defeat is
coming, almost comparable with the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Nothing is more worrisome, we say, because this
trick being pulled off from above is going to be
able to solve the thing in a way that, one way or
another, turns each of us into an accomplice to that destruction.

This analysis, that we offered in the Sixth
Declaration comes in a spiral – before this the
EZLN gave other clues about how it makes its
decisions, its steps, of what happens in each
place and later above, and later higher above –
which is the caracol that is growing. And then we
proposed that this thing that is the EZLN is
later going national, and later global.

And it’s not here yet, but the vision is here –
in the Sixth Declaration – that there is going to
have to be a dispute. It doesn’t address the
problem of what are the characteristics that new
State underway is going to have, but, rather, it
addresses their implications. For us, the fight
against that offers the only possibility of
survival as a nation. The new National State, or
the new confederate of the multinational one that
is being created, means the destruction of what
we call homeland and everything that is part of it.

Thus, the Sixth Declaration makes this analysis,
takes that decision, and says: what remains to be
seen is whether in our country and in the world
there are others who are seeing what we are
seeing and are thinking about the same thing. The
proposal of the Other Campaign is a proposal to
unite; first by getting to know each other and
listening to each other and to these points of
agreement which, at first, we thought were going
to be fewer and more dispersed and that are, with
the advance of the Other Campaign, becoming
concrete. I am not referring just to the steps of
the Sixth Commission but to how the Other
Campaign is evolving: it turns out that, no, that
there are more, that there are many, and that
their experience is even greater. And that they
agree on this: that this fight is not just ours,
but it is also the last chance that we have.

If we let this crisis pass and let it be solved
from above, the cost for all social movements,
not only of the left, defined as of the left, but
including the spontaneous ones, will be death. That’s how we see it.

Rebeldía: Exploitation, looting, disrespect and
repression were listed in the Sixth Declaration
of the Lacandon Jungle as the four whips of
capitalism in its actual phase, unleashed against
humanity and especially against the poorest.
After traveling through 20 states of the country,
do you think that these four whips effectively
represent the objective to combat against?

SCI Marcos: Yes, we think that what is happening
is that there are two stages of this development
in capitalism at the global level and in Mexico.
It’s about looting, robbing and later exploiting
what immediately appears as a source of wealth:
work, and the land. And we say that ideological
forms of political and cultural domination are
being constructed, in turn, over these two
spokes, that are synthesized in these two words: disrespect and repression.

But the moment comes when these limits on wealth
are not enough. In this vista we have the big
cities with great concentrations of wealth
surrounded by a poverty belt. But today in these
cities – to use the same simile – this center of
the network of capitalist power advances each day
more upon what was its periphery, the spaces that
didn’t matter to it before. Concretely, we say it
comes against our poverty. It’s not enough that
we are poor. They also want that poverty because
they have discovered that there is still something here.

In the case of the poorest and most marginalized
sector of this country, which is the Indian
peoples, it’s crystal clear: its about kicking
them out of their home, because now their home
has become a product. And I am referring to the
forests, to the springs, the rivers, the coasts,
that is, the beaches, and even the air.

Thus, we have also posited that this is happening
in other sectors, like that of the workers’
movement, like that of the non-indigenous
farmers’ movement, in social security, in health
care, in everything, well, that the system begins
to do to a society. What is happening is that in
the central nucleus of capital, which is its
exploitation of the workforce and all the tricks
that are pulled in turn, a kind of brutal
whirlpool begins to form against all the sectors
to take everything away from everyone. Although
the central nucleus, in our analysis, is the exploitation of the workforce.

But this begins to be done in that way and it
creates this central nucleus, the fact that the
exploitation, the looting, the disrespect and the
repression begin to open up large sectors of the
population to see what it does, it allows this
central nucleus to count on what is called the
use of reserves
 What allows it to shrink
salaries even more, to raise the exploitation
toll and push the development of capitalism in
Mexico back one hundred years. Apart from that is
the phenomenon of immigration, which is a problem
for those below and also for those above as is
being seen in the responses by the United States government.

Applying the notion of capitalism to these
manifestations is what allows the majority of the
people that form part of the Other Campaign to
understand that this is what it does to us, as
Indian peoples, as workers, as farmers, as
students, as teachers, as people, well, from
below. Anyone can see these four elements of
capital that, in other ways, seem vague.

If we speak about disrespect and racism, for
example, against the Indian peoples it seems very
vague. But since it is clearly accompanied by the
looting of communal lands and ejidos, it then
becomes clear who is the enemy and that it is not
enough – because here what all of the Other
Campaign is concluding that the fights we wage at
the individual or group level are not enough –
that the horizon has been surpassed, broken, not
by us – because we have a wide vision – but it was broken by capital, by power.

Thus, who is it that decides that the Indian
people should look ahead and stop fighting only
for recognition of their indigenous rights, and
instead should now fight against capital as well?
It is capital; that which is broken. It has said
so clearly: The problem is not whether we
recognize you as indigenous or not, because for
me you are not going to exist. I am going to destroy you.

And in the case of the workers’ movement, this is
what is called the pulverization of the workers’
movement and the workers’ sector. And I am not
referring only to their being cut up in many
pieces, but, rather, it’s chronological: you are
a worker for a while and suddenly you are not.
You don’t have any security. At times you are on
one side and at times you are not, you are then
on the other side. This big lie says that the
entrance of capital and industries means
employment for the population that is here and it
ends up with the workers being brought in from
outside, because that is how those who are looting them are inclined.

It becomes a war that, as we say, in those four
aspects is the place where we all are cast
together. And it is where the sex workers, the
gays and lesbians, the indigenous, the youths,
the children, are able to say: Yes, here it is.
This changes its name but is has the same effect
on us. And it means – the advance of all this –
for us, the destruction of what we are. In some
cases, even physical destruction.

Rebeldía: It seemed that the Other Campaign in
Puebla meant a kind of point of redefinition of
the Other Campaign, especially in the meetings
that took place in Altepexi. A new proletariat,
different, very “other” than the traditional one
grouped in the big industrial unions appeared,
told of its pain and identified its enemy, not
only in the abstract, but it named names. This
proletariat – very indigenous – doesn’t have
years of union organizing experience, nor has it
been touched by the ideology of the Mexican
revolution, but it has an impressive clarity
regarding what its exploitation means and
considers its boss as its enemy. What does this
proletariat say to the EZLN? Are they looking
into the same mirror? Do you identify with their pain and their fight?

SCI Marcos: What does it mean for us? And what
does it mean for the political organizations with
a traditional or more rigid view of the workers’
movement? For us it means, on the one hand, our
destiny. Because all these people that are today
in the sweatshops are indigenous people that,
because of the looting of their lands, leave –
above all, youths – to find work and they begin
with this reality. Now they have arrived from the
countryside to the city, as the saying goes, but
in the most brutal form that can be imagined. In
this sense we identify with the roots, the common
denominator, and I think that, one way or
another, when we met them it was easier for us
than with the traditional workers, because we
have the same roots, the same origin.

And at the hour that they explained this, they
explained it like we explain ourselves. And we
have said it again and again: these people go
there because they are expelled. They don’t go to
find better living conditions, but, rather, to
survive, because there is no other option. And
that is what allows for such brutal conditions of
exploitation: workdays of 14 to 16 hours; very
minimum wages of 45 or 50 pesos (less than five
dollars a day); and a high cost of living because
in the city you have to scratch yourself with your own fingernails.

We think that with this proletariat, with this
new proletariat, there is an almost immediate
identification. The indigenous roots give it
strength and clarity, at least for us. And in the
<http://www.narconews.com/Issue41//Issue41/article1749.html>worker’s
gathering it was very clear that the workers from
this sector and with this tradition came saying:
this is about a system, not a union. In spite of
what have been struggles to gain recognition for
unions and for better working conditions, the
presence of the boss is so immediate and brutal:
almost the same as the presence of a plantation
owner in the times of
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porfirio_Diaz>porfirista
hacienda. And the fact that these sectors also
identify not with the workers’ movement of Fidel
Velásquez for union independence, but that begin
to present similarities – perhaps not conscious
of it – with the workers’ movement in the epoch
of Porfirio Diaz. Very combative, very radical,
very ready to confront capital, right there, at
the place of work. We strike, we strive, we rebel
on the same assembly line, a line that has,
today, almost no employment on this side.

Since the current workers’ movement – we are
speaking of that which is most known – is not
found on the assembly line but, rather, it is
seen outside: through the union or through
mobilizations. I don’t know, I’m very ignorant
about this, but there are very few workers’
struggles on the assembly line. And these are
coming forward here. Here is where the rebellion
is being fought. At least that’s what they were
telling us. At the hour when the sweatshop
workers send the assembly line to hell, or rise
up, or strike, then all the repression will
follow. We believe that we have here an important
teacher: that, on their part, they still don’t
have the notion that they have a lot to teach;
maybe that is made opaque by their own will and
the radical nature of their struggle.

When the EZLN and the Sixth Commission say that
the indigenous are those who will fight to the
end, we are not just referring to the traditional
indigenous people that are in their communities
and make their wares and then later the
plantation owners and police come to take them
off their land. We are also, and above all,
referring to them, to those that here in Mexico
or on the Other Side are confronting the
exploitation in another form, but they are
confronting it with their roots. And this is what
brings their radical nature and their determination in the struggle.

We think that the political and union
organizations ought to look there to learn many things.

A Message for the Intellectuals and their
“Magnificent Alibi to Avoid Struggle and Confrontation”

An Exclusive Interview with Zapatista Subcomandante Marcos: Part II

By Sergio Rodríguez Lascano
Rebeldía Magazine

May 31, 2006

Rebeldía: There has been a very strong criticism
from some intellectuals of the left (at least
that’s how they define them selves) and from
currents of the left – that act along the margins
between the institutionalism of the PRD
(Democratic Revolution Party) and charros
(corrupt union leaders) and the social-autonomous
movement – against the EZLN (Zapatista Army of
National Liberation) with this phrase (spoken
recently by Marcos): “I shit on the correlation
of forces.” We’ve always known that there is a
species of culture in which the analysis of
correlation of forces is a magnificent alibi to
avoid struggle and confrontation. We also know
that many times the cult of correlation of forces
helps to throw principles and ethics out of
political action. We know that the tireless
repetition of the concept of correlation of
forces is nothing less than hypocritical
resignation in front of the thinking and practice
of the right. What evaluation do you make of this criticism?

Subcomandante Insurgente Marcos: The problem goes
higher than that. We say that there is a problem
in the intellectual sector, not in just the part
you talk about but among the entire intellectual
sector – including on the radical left – which is
the separation or detachment of intellectual
action and political action. At the hour that you
are producing theory or theoretical reflection,
not linked to a movement, in this species of
outsider that the intellectual poses himself to
be, he is spontaneously taking a concept from
reality and that concept is what permits him to
edit reality and choose: “this is what is most
important.” It is the idea that, well, if
spontaneously – not as a product of a social
movement but spontaneously – of what I see in
reality – that what you see in reality is what
other intellectuals say, what the media says,
what is said in the cultural circles: which is
imperialism, or the Empire, or the new
correlation of forces – that is what allows them
to say: “this is what is important” and it allows
them to construct theories like those of the
currents and different tendencies that say, “this
is reality.” And yes, if you begin with this
concept, yes, you are able to obtain elements of
reality that confirm your thesis and also the
contrary. But they never get to that part.

We say that theory, in this sense, over there,
above, is always going to stumble with that.
Because the saying – I don’t remember who said it
– that the problem of theory is that praxis,
fundamentally praxis, is not taken into
consideration. And praxis is not teaching a
class. It is not writing an article. It is
connecting yourself directly with a social or
political movement. Now, inside of that sector,
this is what is called comfort in the cultural
code. Anything that alters my position as an
intellectual; that which puts it in crisis or
which questions it, is something that the
intellectual spontaneously rejects. If there are
elements of reality or of movements that in
reality are proposing a radicalization of
society, that means that the intellectual loses
his space of safety from which to produce theory.

The elements precipitate and don’t rise to
produce theoretical reflection. What is the
fundamental complaint by the intellectuals of the
left and of the right with respect to the
interruption by the Sixth Commission beginning in
Atenco? It messes up the scenario. We already
have here two elements: the political parties and
the IFE (Federal Elections Institute)
 And soon –
from where? Through what window? – there appears
and enters this band of plebes that not only do I
not control them but I don’t know what they are
about, I don’t want to understand them, and they
mess up the entire panorama for me. And that is
the desperation that turns into hatred and anger.

That is what we say in general. In this part,
concretely, it means: “We can’t – we can’t as
intellectuals – place value on a correlation of
forces that doesn’t come from above. If not, it
brings us to the question ‘what are you going to
do?’ When my work as an intellectual is to
respond that there is nothing to be done.” And
yes, you go confronting the proposals of the
intellectuals of the left and of the right and it
becomes: this doesn’t have to be done, this
doesn’t have to be done, this doesn’t have to be
done. And it doesn’t have to be. When someone
says, “this has to be done,” well, someone is
going to say to him, “man, come here, you have a
place here, you have to enter it.”

Then, on that level, the correlation of forces
becomes an alibi to do nothing, not even anything
for a slow change. Because if one sees the
argument that they make it is not that the
correlation of forces says that it can’t be done
via insurrectional or violent routes; or that a
slow change is necessary – which is something
worth debating – no, what they say is that change
cannot be made, period. What can be done is
inside of this endless structure but what is
fundamental is making a few fixes. And fixes that
benefit me as an intellectual.

Evidently, if everything will be solved in
academic space and with this level of debate that
is “I tell you and you tell me,” there, above, it
is not passionate. I remember that some years ago
the debate between intellectuals was passionate
and didn’t mean sinking to a lower level. Now it
turns out that if there is passion it is not on the theoretical level.

Thus, I can stay in this channel and continue
being the comfortable conscience of the right,
not of the left, but of the right. Saying: “no,
excesses can’t be committed
. Yes, it’s okay,
there has to be exploitation, there has to be
looting, there has to be disrespect and there has
to be repression, but within the parameters of
civility.” In this sense, the analysis of the
correlation of forces never arrives at its
fundamental point, which in an analysis of
correlation of forces is: Is it the system or is
it not the system? Because more likely the
correlation of forces is “you can’t change the
system; changing the party in government, that
you can do.” This is the leap that is made from one side to the other.

What we think is that this analysis of “what is
the correlation of forces” that is being made is
selecting the elements that allow them to make
the argument of “I am not going to do it
 there
is nothing to be done
 don’t move
 don’t make
waves.” But if we really analyze the correlation
of forces, the enemy probably does continue as
the more powerful force, but there is another
element of which they are not conscious: the
force from below. And its rebellion is in organization.

This is not about what the EZLN is saying. It
speaks of a feeling or a rebel subjectivity. The
EZLN, at the moment that this is happening in the
states, is detecting that this subjectivity is
organized and has a history. This is not about
spontaneous movements, nor about finding only the
people who are ready. It turns out that the
people already have their organizations and their
history. Thus, if this is seen and what is above
is seen, the correlation of forces then changes.

When the EZLN says: “I shit on the correlation of
forces,” it’s that I shit on the vision that the
academic sector has regarding the correlation of
forces. Globally, nationally, as well as
regionally and locally, according to how they go
about seeing it. And what it means – at least in
the very pedestrian terms that we use – is that
they are looking toward above and they don’t look
below. If only somebody looking below would say
to us, “listen, I just saw
 this.” No, instead
they look upon us with disrespect, as if we
didn’t even exist. That is the fundamental thing
that bothers them (the intellectuals) about the
Other Campaign in Atenco: if it (the Other
Campaign) didn’t exist, it would fall by any
wayside, it wouldn’t have anything to do with it.
Now that it (the Other Campaign) is involved in
this (Atenco) they (the intellectuals) are
obligated to look below and they don’t like what
they are seeing. Because what is being seen is a
plebian, rebel, rude, movement with bad grammar,
that puts its feet up on the table, that eats
with its elbows also on the table
 That doesn’t
follow the established criteria.

We say that there’s nothing wrong with this
analysis. Because, in every case, what the right
offers gives more alibis. And that is what the
institutional left moves toward. That is to say,
the PRD could care less about what the analysts
of <http://jornada.unam.mx>La Jornada say. What
matters to them is what is said in
<http://www.letraslibres.com.mx/>Letras Libres;
what matters to them is what is said in Vuelta –
well, okay, Vuelta doesn’t exist anymore – in
<http://www.nexos.com.mx/>Nexos and all that,
because they have constructed an interlocution
with power and with the mass media. And the most
marginalized sectors think that no, because the
intellectuals invite (PRD politician) Jesus
Ortega to lunch and that they pay attention to
something, but in reality it doesn’t matter to
them. Not their radical nature, nor their
prudence. The intellectuals of the left above
pray to power that it look at them, and they are
happy with very little. If, instead of that, they
can say: my correlation of forces that I am
offering for the revolutionary movement of the
world – because they are even prudent and modest
at that – doesn’t have any effect, not below, not
above, not even in academia – I don’t believe
that they provoke any enthusiasm in the students.

But for them it works. Because each day they can
look in the mirror and say that, “yes, you are
doing your work of orienting the proletariat, but
they don’t understand you, they don’t obey you.”
But in reality, almost never do they say anything
directed toward below, it is always toward above.
“Don’t look at them, don’t pay attention to them
because they are ultras, they’re plebes, they
don’t take into account the correlation of forces.”

Rebeldía: In the same way the same intellectuals
have said that the statements that “we’re going
after the wealthy of this country,” or “we are
going to topple the government that comes and it
doesn’t matter which party is in power,”
represent an unrealizable propagandistic idea,
that what it reflects is a kind of infantile
will. This, in a way, reveals the limited view of
these people who can’t imagine a horizon of
revolutionary, radical or rebel – however they
want to say it – rupture. To what do you think this limited view is owed?

SCI Marcos: This point about will has its
counter-weight. It is a dishonest statement on
the part of those intellectuals because all of
them are led toward another kind of will that is
perfectly defined. Because they say: It’s true
that the PRD doesn’t have troops on the left;
that it is true that the governing group is made
up of troops from the PRI (Institutional
Revolutionary Party) or the PAN (National Action
Party)
 but there is López Obrador, and with his
will, his honesty, that is what will allow a
change in things, in spite of the fact that the
environment – and they recognize it, but they
don’t mention it – is lined up against it, is from the right.

Thus, they say: here are all the elements that
show that our will, which is endorsed by us as
intellectuals, does work and the plebian will
from below doesn’t work. The EZLN is not asking
for permission to be noticed or that they
classify us up above. It is fundamentally a
challenge to this intellectual sector. How are
the costs calculated and decided? It is part of
our history. But the EZLN has been very clear
about that: it doesn’t matter to us if they wink
at us or if they don’t shake our hands, or that
they don’t orient us, or that they don’t pay attention to us.

To the contrary: Our proposal also confronts
that, is also rebellious when facing that. And
what the EZLN is doing is what it has done for
its entire lifetime, ever since it was born 22
years ago, that is, touching what is below and to
read what it is touching. And to say it clearly,
we can’t pretend that the problems that we are
detecting are going to be solved unless the
fundamental things in this country are changed:
that would be a lie. We’re not going to do it. If
we did it, we wouldn’t be anything, not even reformists.

The social project of this nation can’t be
maintained with the lie that evolution happens
above and that it happens below. We’ve come to
the point where the bill has already been paid.
It means, then, that for one to survive the other
has to die; the other in terms of its national
project. Thus, why are we going to say that this
movement will end with national democracy when we
see that what is leaping forward is a direct
democracy? What is going to happen to electoral
democracy, or the democracy of the political
class – which is what it is today – when direct
democracy or other kinds of democracy that are
emerging arrive? Well, it will have to disappear.
And it is not going to resign itself to
disappearance. It will then be necessary to
destroy it, not as people, but as a political class.

And at what moment will it be possible to take
away the wealth that is being accumulated and
distribute it equally? We say: that is already
impossible. It is necessary to destroy what this
wealth has in its possession and pass it to its
true owner, those who were looted of that wealth:
the worker, the Indian people, all the people that are below.

So, what should we do? Lie or tell a half-truth?
Say that yes, the situation is very bad in this
country, say that there is going to be a
rebellion, and what is going to happen after
that? No, well, I think that the rich, the
government, are going to say yes, it is true, we
are going to give them some concessions. Our
experience as indigenous Zapatistas is the
opposite: what we have achieved doesn’t have
anything to do with what they have offered from
above. Not the right to live, nor the right to
live better. If the EZLN survived it was because
of its ability to connect with others and the
nobility of people in other lands supporting it.
But not because the government solved anything:
It has said, yeah, the situation is very difficult, we’ll give them something.

And if you think that what happens in the
communities governed by the PRI - that have
accepted government aid – where it is supposed
that the aid was a product of understanding on
the part of the government: yes, it’s true that
the indigenous live under grave conditions. And
in the indigenous communities you can see –
without having to look too hard – that they are
going to disappear, the ones that receive this
aid. They will physically disappear: it is from
those communities that the immigration to the
cities and to the United States comes from. Thus,
why are we going to lie or sit on the fence with
all that it means for our survival? Survival as a
nation, as the Mexico from below, requires the
destruction of the Mexico from above; for its
expulsion, to grind it into pieces, as we say here.

So, what is the political class’ problem? There
are two things: we are coming after the rich of
this country, we are going to kick them out, and
if they have committed crimes, well, we will put
them in prison
 because this is the time that has
come. We say that coexisting with them is not
possible, because their existence means our
disappearance. And, apart from that, is the
question of the government. That is, how is it
possible that you pass – which is what (Carlos)
Loret de Mola (of Televisa) asked us – “how is it
possible that you pass over the 40 million
Mexicans that went and voted and chose their
government?” And I asked him, “And the other 70
million?” Because its not even 40 million who
vote, it is going to me more like 30 million, or
20 million, or such. And what of the other 70 million?

That government, above, and that political class
doesn’t have an ideological identity: It is not
of the left, nor of the right, nor of the center.
It is a class that is looking for work and where
it can be found it shows its face. Paradoxically,
it would wear a ski mask if convenient. And this
can be clearly seen in its speeches. When it is
convenient to be of the left, – and I’m not just
referring to López Obrador, but also to
(candidates Felipe) Calderón and (Roberto)
Madrazo – and when it is convenient to be tough,
and when it is convenient they act like asses.
There is no place where it can be said, here are
the candidates who are of the left everywhere
they go. No, it depends on the audience, on the issue.

So, if no government above is going to question
the economic direction – or the macro-economy, to
say it better – then this government has to be
toppled. As we understand it, unless (social
democrat candidate) Patricia Mercado or (other
candidate) Campa Cifrián or Doctor Simi (the
drugstore magnate and perennial politician) has
an ace up her or his sleeve, no administration to
come is going to come proposing that. They think
that it is possible to continue, as a nation,
with the macroeconomic variants. We say no.
Today, whether it has to do with will or not, it
is going to be seen here whether we as the Other
Campaign will be able to organize all the people
and confront the reality that things can’t
continue as they are, since I don’t see how we
have to maintain a government that is going to destroy us as a nation.

So, what will we do to that government? Well, we
will topple it, or take it away – because they
say that to topple it has to do with weapons but
our will has to do with movements – whatever you
call it. With a civilian and peaceful movement we
will take the government away from us, which is
our Constitutional right. And we will make
another one. Today, that is what we are saying,
and that’s why we speak of the rich. It is
necessary to change the system and take from them
– those who now control the means of production –
what they took from us. In other words, take back
the land and work it our selves. Take back the
banks, the businesses, and work them our selves.
Somebody once said that already, no? And back
then, yes, there were a lot of people who fought

A Different Path for Latin America Rides Through Mexico

An Exclusive Interview with Zapatista Subcomandante Marcos: Part III

By Sergio Rodríguez Lascano
Rebeldía Magazine

May 31, 2006

Rebeldía: Some years ago, after the fall of the
Berlin Wall, Eduardo Galeano said that the Latin
American left – and to some extent globally –
seemed like a child lost in the fog. I think the
idea of this orphan has to do with the fact that
today there is nothing “beyond capitalism.”
Development and progress are only noticed if
capital is present, if there is foreign
investment, if the laws of the market are
respected. And what then remains as the horizon
for the left is to fight so that the poor are a
little less poor and the rich are a little less
rich. What is the opinion of the EZLN (Zapatista
Army of National Liberation) regarding this
scenario? Is it valid for a project of the left?

Subcomandante Insurgente Marcos: Look, we are
beginning in reverse. It’s not about whether
development and progress are seen only in
capitalism. We say that the destruction and
misery of all are only possible in capitalism.
Thus, if we don’t agree with being destroyed as
humanity, or as a nation in the Mexican case, and
we want to get out of this misery, we will have
to destroy the system that is provoking it. It’s
that together with development and progress there
is an above and a below. Not only that. That
fiction that a man builds a fortune can’t be
sustained anymore. The rich and powerful of this
country and the world are that way because of a
fundamental crime which is looting and, in many
cases, blood crimes, of death and destruction.

Progress and development for them has gone beyond
their being rich over there and us beingpoor.
Fundamentally, that wealth that they are brutally
accumulating comes from looting, from
exploitation, from repression and the disrespect
that we suffer below. Their development and
progress mean, necessarily, our destruction and our misery.

So, we are proposing this struggle, this
anti-capitalist fight, at this moment and in this
radical form because according to us it is a
question of survival, not just as a nation, above
all, as a project of the left. There is no
political organization of the left that is going
to survive this if it is really of the left. This
is last call for political organizations of the
left. I’m referring to the entire spectrum:
socialists, communists, Trotskyites, guevarists,
anarchists, libertarians, punks or Zapatistas.
Not one project of the left is going to survive.
It won’t have anything left to fight for as a
political project. And this is fundamental
because there are some who think: no, we have to
let the lesser evil win because it will give us
breathing room. We say no: It will not give us
breathing room. If we don’t destroy it, there
won’t be any air at all. We have to, first,
construct this space and, next, confront it.

About this image of Eduardo Galeano
 yes, in the
global left we are like a child lost in the fog.
But now we already know that ahead of us is an
abyss and we have to look for something else. If
we continue inside of the capitalist system –
whether we see the precipice over there or not –
we are going to disappear. That’s why we have to
construct something else, because there is no
other reference. Yes, there is
 but no, there
isn’t. Because what exists is a tradition of
struggle, theory exists, a science that has
constructed this exit door. It also does not
exist, because at the cultural level it seems
there isn’t this perspective, because everything
was bet on that wall. What a paradox, no? A wall.
That is to say, the Berlin Wall and what it
meant, since everyone agrees that this is the
symbol that surpassed all others, without there
having been other things, but that is not our problem.

Yes, we can get out of this fog, or not. That
isn’t the problem. We already know that if we
keep advancing we are heading toward destruction.
And, so, that is where the Other Campaign says:
we’re going to do something else. We are going to
look at our history, we are going to look at
another theory. Everything that is already here
and that was left to the side as if it was a suit
out of style, and that, it turns out, was not a
suit, but is a perspective of what is history, of
what is society, and of what is struggle. And I
don’t only refer to scientists but also to
ethicists, morals, politicians. And when the
correlation of forces says that something has to
be done – invariably it is to sell out, surrender
or betray – ethics say “no way
 faced with the
correlation of forces, I won’t sell out, I won’t surrender, I won’t betray.”

That, and also seeking and finding other people
and saying: It’s okay, we’re going to add up the
Berlin Wall and theory and all that. But are we
going to propose something? What we are doing is
so new, and so old at the same time. Rebellion,
time and time again, is as old as humanity; not
only along the chain of production, not only in
the caves, not only at the pyramids, but in
everything that has been the path of the history
of humanity. Once more we find ourselves
rebelling again and betting, again, with the
enthusiasm of being incorrect – that for others
is fear and for us is the enthusiasm to do
something even if we are incorrect, but to do it
– to create something new. Maybe it won’t happen,
or not like we think, but yes it is going to be
better than what there is now and, above all, it
will mean our survival as a nation and also as a people: in the flesh.

That is what scares them – I think – that it
doesn’t mean that we just have to re-read what we
read before, but, rather, we have to understand
again that what is being read, what is being
heard, what is being seen, is saying: And you?
And you? It is something that frightens the
intellectuals, all of the sector of the cultural
left: that you ask them, “And you, what are you
doing?” That is what brings out, well, their marasmo.

Rebeldía: All of this has been reinforced by the
arrival of governments of left in various South
American countries. The victories by Lula in
Brazil, by Kirchner in Argentina, by Tabaré in
Uruguay, by Evo in Bolivia and by Chávez in
Venezuela – the more tolerant types put Mrs.
Bachelet (in Chile) on the list – are presented
as evidence that the construction of an
alternative to neoliberalism, that starts with a
governmental policy, which is to say, from above,
is viable. But when the government programs are
analyzed (in the cases of Venezuela and Bolivia
we have to give them time to see how they evolve)
and above all their practice, it turns out that
they respect the frames of reference of the
neoliberal project. Why does the EZLN insist that
we shouldn’t be looking toward above (the
exception being when we point the finger up
there) but, rather, we should look toward below?

SCI Marcos: Because we think that a fundamental,
or different project, one that takes another
path, is what Latin America needs. Not the path
that we are seeing – above all in the case of
Lula in Brazil, of Kirchner in Argentina, of
Tabaré in Uruguay or of López Obrador in Mexico –
which is: following the same path and – as he
says – changing the horse for the horsemen. But
the path is never stated. And the path is that
which says: we have to maintain these
macroeconomic variables and we are going to
change the song that we sing along the path, or
how we dress, all that, but the direction in which we are going is the same.

So, who is going to propose or from where will a
proposal come that says we don’t want to go
there? Not only because it brings us to an abyss,
but also because what we want is something else
and to change to a different path. Only the
people from below and the grand social movements,
spontaneous, organized, planned or that surge
unseen by the mass media. That is where this is
being proposed. Because this is the people, the
people from below, that are seeing – at the same
time that we are seeing our exploitation and at
the hour that we begin to organize – a different
path, another world, one where this exploitation,
this looting, this racism, this disrespect, this repression, doesn’t exist.

So here the problem is not who is going to mount
the horse or how the horse will be, as it is
said, but, rather, to say: well, we’re seeing
clearly, the problem here is not the horseman or
the horse, but the path. Because we’re not going
by horse, we’re not going by car, we’re just not
going. They’re bringing us along at the point of
a bayonet, or with tricks – according to how each
person is touched – and we want to go somewhere else.

If Evo Morales, if Hugo Chávez – one in Bolivia,
the other in Venezuela – or anyone in any place
begins to follow another path it is going to be
because fundamentally he is being pulled from
below, not because he will understand things from
up above. If the Cuban revolution was possible,
any revolution that beats another path for a
people, happened because a people said, “do it!”
Although we understand that it centers around a
figure: in Castro, or Guevara, in Lenin or in
whoever. But fundamentally they were peoples
those who turned to look somewhere else and said,
“let’s go somewhere else!” And here is where
political organization, the party, or the
government, whatever, chooses: It will confront
it – like Lula is doing in Brazil – or it will
try to follow it, or try to find agreement.

But those from above are marking the path. Who is
going to judge the role of Evo in Bolivia and of
Chávez in Venezuela? The Bolivian people and the
Venezuelan people: They are the ones that are
going to say: Yes, they are with us, or no, they
are not with us. Or that at times they are with
us and at others times not. But fundamentally an
Other Bolivia or an Other Venezuela is going to
be produced from below; by the workers in the
countryside and in the cities of those countries.
And it’s the same anywhere else.

Now, the change of governments of Lula in Brazil,
Kirchner in Argentina, and Tabaré in Uruguay
doesn’t only mean, “well, they are going to
administrate a neoliberal project with the left
hand. We are not going to say neoliberalism, we
are going to be capitalism with a human face and
well managed.” It’s not just that. From here
there is emerging – I think that López Obrador is
the one who is proposing it in Mexico – a new
Nation-State. More subordinated, more tailored,
without any of the traces of autonomy and
independence that the national States had before
the fall of the Berlin Wall. And this remains to
be seen, because everywhere it is happening, the
social movement of the left that doesn’t resist
is co-opted, destroyed. And when it is not
destroyed, it is attacked as if it were the
enemy. And at times this is the alibi that serves
the right. At times, an alibi isn’t even
necessary, as with the confrontations that Lula
has had with the Sin Tierra movements in Brazil.

This is going to be seen according to how it all
goes. The proposal in Mexico is: we’ll grab a
sector of the old political class, give it a new
sheen, and from that we will draw the new Mexican
State. It’s the biggest stupidity in the world. I
don’t know how they are swallowing it up above –
they need a lot of TV spots and many cups of
coffee with the intellectuals – but who is going
to say that a new project of the nation is coming
out of this? Or how is it put? An alternative
national project – recycled from the PRI
political class? No, that’s not possible.

Rebeldía: One of the statements that caused a
polemic among detractors of the Other Campaign
(columnists, cartoonists, etcetera) was that in
which you said that the EZLN didn’t have to go to
the inauguration of Evo Morales and, later, at
another moment, you said that the EZLN doesn’t
look toward Bolivia and later that what was being
done in Mexico was the greatest fucking thing and
it had no comparison in the world. To what were
you referring? Could you explain a little more
what it is that you are saying with phrases like those?

SCI Marcos: First, the EZLN said that it should
not go to the inauguration, not just that it
didn’t have to, but that it should not do it,
because that would mean looking toward above. The
fundamental aspect of the Sixth Declaration of
the Lacandon Jungle is this rupture.

Prior to the Sixth Declaration, the EZLN looked
toward above. Not only toward the Evos, not only
toward the columnists, cartoonists and
progressive intellectuals, but also toward the
Mexican government. And its privileged
interlocution was with them. But now – after the
Sixth Declaration of the Lacandon Jungle, in
relation to your question – the EZLN says: we
should not do this because we have chosen another path, which is to look below.

And the richness of what we see below is such
that it demands more attention than any other
view, and that’s why we should not do it. What’s
more, ethically, it would send a mixed signal.
The reproach of not going to Evo Morales’
inauguration or any other is so elemental as to
say: okay, at what time will you get the passport
and the visa. It was, rather, that to go off to
the inauguration of Evo Morales would be an
immediate endorsement of the campaign of López
Obrador. It would say that, yes, it is possible
to change things from above. And later, we said
that the EZLN doesn’t look toward Bolivia, that
it doesn’t turn its view toward the Bolivia of
above, but, rather, at the Bolivia from below.
And these are the values that are taken into
account: those of the popular movement that
caused Bolivia to crash and opened the
possibility that the government of Evo could decide for one side or the other.

Now, regarding the other one, what is being done
in Mexico has no comparison because the EZLN is
investing everything in the process.

It’s not the story of a group of illuminati that
generates consciousness in the masses and that
says we are going to fight for this and we are
going to convince you to fight for this. Rather,
the EZLN says: we are going to construct from
below. From what I know – and I don’t know much
about world history – there is no other process
that began this way, that leaves the fundamental
definitions in the air, that sketches nothing
more than the general panorama and begins to
construct from below, trusting that below –
trusting in the people, really – that what comes
from below will be an organic proposal for the
direction, the steps, the company, the rhythm,
the speed. All that has been proposed even before
the Sixth Declaration, as a group decision, as an
organization or a group of organizations.

And then, once this movement is constructed, we
think that the problem of the government – and of
seizing power – becomes inverted: it stops being
the central goal of a movement of transformation
and it becomes just one piece more in that
movement. Look out: here comes another piece, and
its not excluded from this movement. Yes, it will
have to be done, but it is not the stepping off
point, nor the point of arrival. It is one of the
steps that will have to be taken in organizing
society. And, probably – we think – we can
construct a global reference that won’t be a
wall, like that in Berlin, but that will be
something else. It is a jigsaw puzzle whose shape
is not defined and that is modified with every
new piece that is added. And since it is from
below, the problem here is not what image it will
project in the end, but rather that each piece
has one’s figure and color; that one is here.

And this is what the movement that the Other
Campaign is accomplishes
 that the jigsaw puzzle
continued being put together from below, not from
above. And, eventually, the piece that is
government is going to fit, or the piece that is
electoral democracy, or that of rights
 many
things that, well, are here. But it is not the
first step nor – beware – the point of arrival.
But it does not attempt to avoid it, either. That
is what the EZLN is saying again and again.