[News] Eduardo Galeano on Immigration, Latin America, Iraq, Writing – and Soccer

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri May 19 17:30:39 EDT 2006

“Voices of Time”: Legendary Uruguayan Writer
Eduardo Galeano on Immigration, Latin America, Iraq, Writing – and Soccer

Friday, May 19th, 2006

We spend the rest of the hour with one of Latin
America’s most acclaimed writers - Eduardo
Galeano. His works -- from the trilogy “Memory of
Fire” to the classic “Open Veins of Latin
America” are a unique blend of history, fiction,
journalism and political analysis. His books have
been translated into more than 20 languages. [includes rush transcript]

----------
We spend the rest of the hour with one of Latin
America’s most acclaimed writers - Eduardo
Galeano. His works -- from the trilogy “Memory of
Fire” to the classic “Open Veins of Latin
America” are a unique blend of history, fiction,
journalism and political analysis. His books have
been translated into more than 20 languages.

Born in Uruguay in 1940, Eduardo Galeano began
writing newspaper articles as a teenager. Though
his dream was to become a soccer player, by the
age of 20 he became Editor-in-Chief of LaMarcha.
A few years later, he took the top post at
Montevideo’s daily newspaper Epocha. At 31,
Galeano wrote his most famous book, “The Open
Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent.”

After the 1973 military coup in Uruguay, Galeano
was imprisoned and forced to leave the country.
He settled in Argentina where he founded and
edited a cultural magazine, Crisis. After the
1976 military coup there, Galeano’s name was
added to the lists of those condemned by the
death squads. He moved to Spain where he began
his classic work “Memory of Fire,” a three-volume
narrative of the history of America, North and
South. He eventually returned home to his native
Uruguay where he now lives. His latest book is
called “Voices of Time: A Life in Stories.”
Eduado Galeano joins us today in our firehouse studio.
    * Eduardo Galeano: one of the most celebrated
writers from Latin America. He was born in
Uruguay in 1940. He was imprisoned and forced to
leave the country following the 1973 military
coup. He is the author of many books including
“The Open Veins of Latin America” and “Memory of Fire.”

JUAN GONZALEZ: We spend the rest of the hour with
one of Latin America's most acclaimed writers:
Eduardo Galeano. His works from the trilogy
Memory of Fire to the classic Open Veins of Latin
America are a unique blend of history, fiction,
journalism and political analysis. His books have
been translated into more than 20 languages. Born
in Uruguay in 1940, Eduardo Galeano began writing
newspaper articles as a teenager. Though his
dream was to become a soccer player, by the age
of 20 he became editor-in-chief of LaMarcha. A
few years later, he took the top post at
Montevideo’s daily newspaper Epocha. At 31,
Galeano wrote his most famous book The Open Veins
of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent.

AMY GOODMAN: After the 1973 military coup in
Uruguay, Galeano was imprisoned and forced to
leave the country. He settled in Argentina, where
he founded and edited a cultural magazine called
Crisis. After the ‘76 military coup there,
Galeano's name was added to the list of those
condemned by the death squad. He moved to Spain,
where he began his classic work Memory of Fire, a
three-volume narrative of the history of America,
North and South. He eventually returned home to
his native Uruguay, where he now lives. His
latest book is called Voices of Time: A Life in Stories.

Eduardo Galeano joins us for the rest of the hour
in our Firehouse studio. Welcome to Democracy Now!

EDUARDO GALEANO: Hello. Hello, Amy.

AMY GOODMAN: It's very good to have you with us.
Let's start where we left off in headlines, and
that's the issue of immigration. How do you see,
as you look from the south to the United States
in the north, the issue of the wall, the issue of
the treatment of immigrants in this country?

EDUARDO GALEANO: It's a sad story. A daily sad
story. I wonder if our time will be remembered as
a period, a terrible period in human history, in
which money was free to go and come and come back
and go again. But people, not.

AMY GOODMAN: You wrote about immigration in your new book Voices of Time.

EDUARDO GALEANO: Yes. There are some stories about it.

AMY GOODMAN: Could you read an excerpt?

EDUARDO GALEANO: One of them, which is quite
short. It's a document on history. Scientific.
Pure science. Objective. There is a religion of
objectivity here, so I respect it. And this is --
you’ll see, you’ll see. “Christopher Columbus
couldn't discover America, because he didn't have a visa or even a passport.

“Pedro Alvares Cabral couldn't get off the boat
in Brazil, because he might have been carrying
smallpox, measles, the flu or other foreign plagues.

“Hernan Cortes and Francisco Pizarro never even
began the conquest of Mexico and Peru, because
they didn't have working papers.

“Pedro de Alvarado was turned away from
Guatemala, and Pedro de Valdivia couldn't even
enter Chile, because they didn't bring proof of a clean record.

“And the Mayflower pilgrims were sent back to sea
from the coast of Massachusetts: the immigration quotas were full.”

AMY GOODMAN: Eduardo Galeano, reading from his
new book Voices of Time: A Life in Stories. We'll
be back with him in a minute.

[break]

AMY GOODMAN: Our guest, Eduardo Galeano, one of
the most celebrated writers on this continent,
born in Uruguay in 1940, imprisoned, forced to
leave the country following the coup there,
author of many books. His classic, The Open Veins
of Latin America, his most recent, Voices of Time: A Life in Stories. Juan?

JUAN GONZALEZ: I'd like to ask you, you've,
obviously, over the decades now you spanned
enormous changes that have been occurring in
Latin America. You were yourself imprisoned
during the military dictatorship in Uruguay. You
know directly of the problems of Operation Condor
and the other terror that spread across the
continent in those years. And now there's
enormous changes occurring in many of these
countries, if not economically, certainly
politically at this point. Your sense of how
Latin America is changing or has changed in recent decades?

EDUARDO GALEANO: Yes, I think that all these
recent events, elections won by progressive
forces and a lot of different movings, is like
something that's moving on and expressing a need,
a will of change, but we are carrying a very
heavy burden on our backs, which is what I call
“the traditional culture of impotence,” which is
something condemning you, dooming you to be
eternally crippled, because there is a cultural
saying and repeating, "You can't." You can't walk
with your own legs. You are not able to think
with your own head. You cannot feel with your own
heart, and so you're obliged to buy legs, heart,
mind, outside as import products. This is our worst enemy, I think.

JUAN GONZALEZ: Much of your writing is about
memory. You say the great problem of amnesia in
Latin America. Could you talk about that a little bit?

EDUARDO GALEANO: Yeah. It's forbidden to
remember. I’m not in love with the past, you
know. For instance, I’m a very bad visitor in
museums, because I get bored soon, and I always
prefer a live life and in present days. But there
is no frontier between past and present when you
can revisit the past and make it alive again. And
then it would be a good mirror to look at
yourself and to understand. Perhaps it would help
to understand your present actuality, your
present reality. If you don't know where do you
come from, it would be very difficult to understand where are you going.

AMY GOODMAN: Eduardo Galeano, you addressed the
World Social Forum in Brazil, and on February 15,
2003, on the eve of the U.S. invasion of Iraq,
they asked you to make a statement for all, that
you entitled "To Say No." What was your point?

EDUARDO GALEANO: Yes, it's true. I don't remember
exactly, but I suppose I said that this was a
criminal war looking for oil, that if -- I don't
remember exactly, but it would be something like
saying, well, if Iraq produces tomatoes or
carrots, nobody would invade it. The country was
invaded for other reasons, unconfessed reasons.
The alibi was at that time that Iraq was a danger
for humanity, the massive destruction weapons,
the supposed complicity or participation of
Saddam Hussein in the September 11 attack.

My mother used to say -- to tell me when I was a
child, a little child, "Lies have short legs."
Poor mom. She was wrong. Lies have very, very
long legs, and they run fast, very fast, faster
than liars. Because afterwards, in the United
States, in Great Britain, everywhere, there was
an official recognition that it was not true,
that it was an invention, that weapons of mass
destruction didn't exist and that Saddam Hussein
had nothing to do with the Twin Towers tragedy.
But anyway, there are lots of people still
believing that it was true, and finding that this
may be a good explanation of this absurd war.
More or less it was something like this.

AMY GOODMAN: Do you think it's fair to say Iraq
saved Latin America, that with the attention of
President Bush on Iraq, we're seeing Latin
America go in a very different direction?

EDUARDO GALEANO: Nobody says, hmm? I think it's
true when President Bush tells us each day that
we are suffering the high risks of being attacked
by terrorism. It's true. And terrorism made the
Iraq war, and they perhaps may -- today or
tomorrow, I don't know -- invade some Latin
American country. It's a tradition of the
terrorist, imperialist power in the world. Who
knows? We are not safe. You are not safe. Nobody
is safe from a possible attack from this machine
of war, this big structure we have built -- they
have built, in a global dimension. This $2,600
million spent each day to kill other people, this
machine of killing peoples, devouring the world
resources, eating the world resources each day.
So this is a terrorist structure indeed, and we
are in danger, so President Bush is right, I
think. We are suffering a terrorist menace.

JUAN GONZALEZ: One of the enormous changes, it
seems to me, in Latin America, has been,
especially in the last decade or two, sort of the
rise of indigenous demands for rights, whether
it's in Chiapas in Mexico or Evo Morales and
what's going on in Ecuador. Your sense of this
long -- because you have written about it. You
wrote about it in Open Veins of Latin America,
how the native peoples of Latin America, for so
long oppressed and kept down by the mulatto or
the White elites of those countries, and how this
change is having an impact on the continent.

EDUARDO GALEANO: One of the oldest traditions in
America, all America, because we are America
also. The name “America” has been kidnapped by
the United States. Really, we are part of
America, no? And so in the three -- in all
Americas, from North to South, from Alaska to
Chile, one of the most beautiful traditions is
the identity between word and fact in the Indian
tradition. I mean the sacred nature of, the
sacred character of word, of language. And this
is something not so frequent in the dominant
cultures, but they have kept it alive, this faith
on words, on the sacred power of words.

Bolivia has now an Indian president, Evo Morales.
It was at first a scandal. Evo Morales, an Indian
president, and an Indian who was not ashamed of
being what he is. First a scandal. The scandal
would have been the fact that Bolivia took two
centuries to realize that it was a country with
Indian majority in the population, and it would
be perfectly normal that they have an Indian
president as Evo Morales. But this was the first scandal.

Now we have the second, and the second scandal
came from the deep respect Evo Morales has for
this Indian tradition of devotion to words. Why
are so many people angry against him? Because he
nationalized oil and gas. That's it. He did what
he promised he would do, which is a cardinal sin
from the viewpoint of a system based on lies,
that teaches you to lie each day and each night,
even when you're having dreams or nightmares.

AMY GOODMAN: And your assessment, Eduardo
Galeano, of the Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez
and this titanic struggle he is in with the
President of the United States, President Bush?

EDUARDO GALEANO: What I do think about it? No, I
think that Chavez is being demonized. I mean,
he's one of the demons. I don't know if he will
be demon tomorrow or not, but he's nowadays a
good demon, useful for an international war
machine who is always hungry of demons. I mean,
they need demons to justify the fact that the
world is just spending fortunes in the military
industry. So, weapons need wars, and wars need
alibis, and alibis are demons, the evil forces
which are our daily danger. And so they have
invented that Chavez may be a danger for humanity
and that he's a tyrant and he’s a despotic
dictator. He won eight elections. It's strange,
being a dictator, eight clean elections won by him.

I was an international observer in this
plebiscite he did -- I don't remember now, but
something like a couple of years ago -- which was
quite exceptional in human history. The first
time, perhaps, in which a president would say to
the people, “Here is my post, my job. If you
decide that I’m not a good president, then I’ll
go out,” and people voted to keep him in power.
Jimmy Carter was also an international observer.
We worked together -- and Gaviria, and it was
unanimous, the certitude that this was a clean
election. Then I have never seen the case of a
tyrant being so democratically confirmed so many times. It's strange.

Where does this hate come from? Perhaps --
perhaps, I don't know, because he's a real
patriot. I mean, he's taking care of his people
in his country. And patriotism nowadays is a
privilege of rich countries. If you are the
leader of a third world country, then your
patriotism would be always suspicious of being
populism or terrorism or something -- some other
-ism -- I don't know -- terribleism, they may
invent to falsify the love you feel for your own people.

JUAN GONZALEZ: I'd like to turn for a moment to
your writing style. You defy classification in
terms of the kinds of books that you produce.
It's part poetry, part political analysis.

EDUARDO GALEANO: Yes

JUAN GONZALEZ: You don't follow a long narrative
discourse, but you thread together pieces of a
tapestry. How did you develop that style? Why did
you decide to write in that style?

EDUARDO GALEANO: I never decided. It's something
-- I’m written by my books. I mean, they write
me, so I never decide anything. Well, I was
always looking for a language who could integrate
everything that has been culturally divorced
from, for instance, heart and mind. So I was
looking for a feel-thinking language,
sentipensante, “feel-thinking.” It's a word. I
didn't invent the word. It’s a word I heard years
ago in the Colombian coast. A fisherman told me,
"Hay gigrere en las palabras sentipensantes,"
when I told him I was a writer. "Ah, you're a
writer." "Yes." "Oh." And he asked me if I was
using a sentipensante language, a feel-thinking
language. And so, he was a master. I mean, I
learned a lot from this sentence forever. I am a sentipensante.

I think one of the divorces that has avoided a
full integration of human condition is this
divorce between our emotions and our ideas. In
other divorces, separating journalists, for
instance, literary journalists, saying, well,
this is an essay. This is a poem. This is a
novel. This is an -- I don't know what. And I
don't believe in frontiers. I think that in no --
I don't believe at all in frontiers. And then,
how would I practice the alguanas, I would say,
the immigration controls between literary journalists? I believe that --

AMY GOODMAN: You don't believe in borders.

EDUARDO GALEANO: No. I think that when the world
-- perhaps one day the world, the world, our
world, won't be upside down, and then any newborn
human being will be welcome. Saying, "Welcome.
Come. Come in. Enter. The entire earth will be
your kingdom. Your legs will be your passport,
valid forever." And for me, this is true also for
words. I mean, the same thing with words,
persons, words. I really believe in the universal
dimension of human condition, not globalization,
which is the universal dimension of money, but
the universal dimension of our human passions.

AMY GOODMAN: Eduardo Galeano, we have to break
for a moment, but we will be back. Eduardo
Galeano is author of, among other books, his
latest, Voices of Time: A Life in Stories.

[break]

AMY GOODMAN: Our guest for the hour is Eduardo
Galeano, one of the most celebrated writers in
Latin America, born in Uruguay, lives there now,
had to leave after the coup, was imprisoned for a
time there, has written many books, among them
his classic The Open Veins of Latin America, his
trilogy Memory of Fire, his most recent book
Voices of Time: A Life in Stories. You've also
written Soccer in Sun and Shadow. The World Cup
is coming up in Germany in a few weeks.

EDUARDO GALEANO: Yeah.

AMY GOODMAN: You're a great writer, but it wasn't
your highest aspiration. It was to be a soccer
player. Talk about the significance of soccer.

EDUARDO GALEANO: All Uruguayans. We all want to
become soccer players, and I could not, because I
was terribly bad in the fields. In Uruguay, in
the -- como se llama, maternidades? --
maternities, they're so noisy, because all babies
are born crying, “Gooooool! Goooool! Goooool!”
It’s terrible to -- you can't stand it. They
should be more silent, more quiet.

And that said, it's our national destiny. Uruguay
was world champion twice, before the first World
Cup in two Olympic games: ’24, ‘28. Later the
first world championship was in Montevideo in
Uruguay. And later, we were again world champions
in 1950, against all evidence, because Uruguay is
such a small country. We are three million.
Nothing. Less people than any neighborhood in
Buenos Aires or Sao Paulo. And anyway, we were
able to do so, and then it's a national identity.

All Uruguayans are experts in soccer. That's why
when I wrote the book, trying to do with the
hands what I was not able to do with my legs, I
was scrambling in panic, because all Uruguayans
know everything about soccer. They are soccer
experts. And nowadays our real soccer -- I mean,
our players playing are not exactly the best in
the world. We are outside the next --

AMY GOODMAN: How does soccer and politics intertwine?

EDUARDO GALEANO: Everywhere, every day, soccer is
a source of power nowadays. Silvio Berlusconi is
the result of the success of the Milan club in
Italy. And almost all politicians in the Latin
countries have close relationships to not only
president or politicians, but even military
dictators. One of the first acts of General
Pinochet in Chile was to become president of a
very popular soccer team, Colo-Colo, because he
knew perfectly well that soccer is a source of prestige and power.

JUAN GONZALEZ: Sort of like a George Bush with the Texas Rangers, right?

EDUARDO GALEANO: Yeah. It would be the
equivalent, yes. But, I mean that, you know, it's
high business. Nowadays it's not only a source of
prestige, but also big business in futbol --
soccer, as you call it here in the States. But I
don't know why the miracle exists, and soccer is
always able to give you a feast, a feast to the
eyes watching it when it's very, very well played
and a feast to the legs when you're playing it.
And there are, there still are. I don't know how,
but there they are. Ronaldino, for instance.
Players able to play for the joy, the pleasure of
playing, instead of playing just because they are
obliged to do it, professionally obliged to do
it. It's like an election. We are all making each
day, being as we are, obliged to live life as a
duty, but secretly willing to live it as a feast.

JUAN GONZALEZ: I’d like to ask you, you started
as a journalist, and obviously journalism in
Latin America has a long tradition of being an
incubator for political leaders in Latin America.
But your sense of how journalism has changed in
recent years there? I mean, here in the United
States, there's a huge battle over the increasing concentration of ownership.

EDUARDO GALEANO: Yes.

JUAN GONZALEZ: And I know in Latin America there
are the huge chains of Venevision and
Globalvision. How has journalism changed in Latin America in recent years?

EDUARDO GALEANO: Yeah, there is a concentration
of power nowadays on a world scale, in Latin
America and everywhere, even here in the States.
And this is not good. Not good news for humanity,
this concentration of power, because it threatens
to reduce the freedom of expression to the
freedom of oppression. I mean, it becomes the
monopoly privilege of a small group of
enterprises, who are closing the big factories of
public opinion in a worldwide scale.

But democracy now exists, and a lot of other
independent spaces open everywhere. They have a
narrow space nowadays. If you compare, for
instance, a proportion of independent media in
the ‘40s or the ‘50s, half a century ago, with
the actual proportion, the present proportion,
it's terrifying. I mean, it's terrible, the
concentration of everything. But there are new
ways, internet and so on, that are giving
expression to the voiceless movements or the
movements condemned to be sounding in campana de
palo -- how is it? -- in wooden bells.

AMY GOODMAN: Wooden bells, yes.

AMY GOODMAN: In wooden bells. And these new ways
are exploding in the contemporary world and
opening, broadening the spaces for independent
expressions. I now repentido, because I didn't
believe in it at the beginning. I mean, I
mistrusted it, all this internet and so on, the
cybernetic new ways of -- no, I was against it,
because I always had a strong suspicion that
machines drink at night. When nobody sees them,
they drink. And then, the day after, they do all
sort of disasters -- but nowadays I accept that
it's something really new and a source of hope --
because internet was born for military purposes,
articulated by the Pentagon to program on a world
scale their operations. And nowadays, it's
serving also for military purposes and business
and so on, but it's opening the spaces to
breathe, respirar, that we need so much.

AMY GOODMAN: Eduardo Galeano, I wanted to ask
another question about journalism, which has to
do with what is happening to journalists in Iraq.
The number of journalists who have been killed,
it looks like well over a hundred now, Western
journalists, photographers, videographers and
writers, and particularly Iraqi and Arab journalists.

EDUARDO GALEANO: Yeah, particularly. Most of them, yes.

AMY GOODMAN: Your thoughts about the power of
journalism and the power of pictures, especially in a time of war?

EDUARDO GALEANO: In the categories of death,
because, indeed, a foreign journalist is much
more important than an Iraqi journalist dead, and
this is because the world, the entire world, is
still sick from racism. And so, we have citizens
of first class, second class, third class, fourth
class, and corpses of first class, second, third,
fourth. If you can design a proportion of killed
people, civilian people killed in the Iraqi war,
most of them women and children, in proportion to
the U.S. population, it's a terrifying sifra, numero.

JUAN GONZALEZ: Figure.

EDUARDO GALEANO: Figure. Half a million. It would
make more or less half a million. Can you imagine
the scandal? It would take millenniums to forget
it. Half a million U.S. people -- Americans, as
it’s said -- most of them women and children,
killed by a foreign attack? Iraq invading the
United States and killing half a million people
here? Millenniums, it would take to forget it.
But as they are Iraqis, we read each day in the
newspapers, repeating, 30 people killed, 50
people killed, 100 people killed. It turns to be
a habit, something normal, as part of nature. And
the same thing for journalists. It's sad to say
it, but one Iraqi life is not the same than one
British or U.S. or French or any other lives
taken in the noble job of telling what's happening [inaudible].

AMY GOODMAN: How do you engage in your craft of
writing in a time that is so difficult, so
desperate right now? How do you clear your head?
What is your ritual? Isabel Allende, who wrote
the introduction to the latest edition of Open
Veins of Latin America, she has talked about --
she begins on one date in a year, in January, if
she ever begins a book. How do you do it?

EDUARDO GALEANO: No, I have no discipline at all.
I learned to write really from music, a Cuban
musician. He played drum, tambor, in Santiago a
lot of years ago. He was absolutely magic. This
drum was wonderful, playing music on earth but
directly from heaven. It was so marvelous that I
asked him, “Please give me your secret.” And he
said, “Yo toco cuando me pica la mano.” Now you
should shout at me, because I cannot say it in English.

JUAN GONZALEZ: I play when my hand begins to itch.

EDUARDO GALEANO: That's it. And I write when my
hand begin to itch. I mean, I never give myself
orders, saying “Now, you must write,” or “You
must write about this subject,” or “You must say
this or that,” or -- no. I leave it. Let it be. I
leave it as something growing inside. And it's
hard work. Each one of these short stories, a lot
to write, have, some of them 20, 30, 40 versions
before being published. It's very hard for me.

AMY GOODMAN: Can you read one last one for us?

EDUARDO GALEANO: Yes. "In the summer of 1972,
Carlos Lenkersdorf heard this word for the first time.

“He had been invited to an assembly of Tzetzal
Indians in the town of Bachajon, and he did not
understand a thing. He was unfamiliar with the
language, and to him the heated discussion
sounded like some sort of crazy rain.

“The word tik came through the downpour. Everyone
said it, repeated it -- tik, tik tik -- and its
pitter-patter rose above the torrent of voices.
It was an assembly in the key of tik.

“Carlos had been around a lot, and he knew that
in all languages I is the word used most often.
I. But tik, the word that shines at the heart of
the sayings and doings of these Mayan communities, means ‘we.’”

JUAN GONZALEZ: I’d like to ask you, in terms of
your -- you have a chance now, and you're going
to be going around the United States to get a
message to the American people. This is the most
powerful nation in the world. We're probably the
largest empire the world has ever seen. What is
the role of the American people in the world
today, and what should be their role, as distinct from the government’s?

EDUARDO GALEANO: Yes. I hope they may hear other
voices. And it would help to understand that the
world is much more than the U.S. I mean, this is
a very important country, indeed. And I come from
a small country. Most people doesn't even know
where it is. But we are all important. We are all
able to say something that deserves to be heard.
And when I was living here in a period I had been
during three, four months, teaching at some
university, so on, I was surprised by the fact
that the world didn't exist for the media, for
the big media. It didn't exist. Almost no news
about the world. And when the news came, most of
the people didn't know what’s it about. One of my
masters, Ambrose Pierce, one century ago said,
“Wars are not so bad. At least for the U.S. For
us, wars are not so bad. Wars teach us geography.”

AMY GOODMAN: Eduardo Galeano, I want to thank you
very much for being with us, one of the great
writers in the world today, his latest book Voices of Time: A Life in Stories.