[News] Sami Al- Arian's reflection on past three years as a Political Prisoner

Anti-Imperialist News News at freedomarchives.org
Fri Feb 24 14:23:02 EST 2006

To write to Dr. Sami Al-Arian:
Dr. Sami Al-Arian (#05007418)
Orient Road Jail
1201 Orient Road
Tampa, FL. 33619

The Oracle

Thursday, February 23, 2006
[]

http://www.usforacle.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/20/43f9b8cbba683?in_archive=1
News

Al-Arian reflects on past three years
In only his second interview since being arrested
exactly three years ago on terrorism-related
charges, former USF professor Sami Al-Arian
discusses his trial, the conditions of his
incarceration and the suffering his family has endured.

by Ryan Blackburn
February 20, 2006

“I woke up and said to myself, ‘They’re here,’”
Nahla Al-Arian said. She and her husband, still
asleep in bed, frantically tried to dress
themselves as the officers shouted for them to
open the door. After numerous threats to break it
down, Nahla opened the door. Several FBI officers
rushed in, some brandishing their weapons. “The
first thing I saw was a gun in my face,” Nahla
said. Moments later, former USF computer
engineering professor Sami Al-Arian was forced up
against a wall and taken into custody.

That was three years ago today when FBI agents
hauled her husband off to a federal prison in
Coleman. Hours later, former Attorney General
John Ashcroft said Al-Arian had been actively
funding terrorist attacks in Israel as the head
of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad. USF
administrators alleged he used his academic
position to support terrorism and fired Al-Arian six days later.

When his case went to trial in June 2005, U.S.
attorneys used  thousands of taped phone
conversations, electronic documents and dozens of
witnesses to convince the jury of his involvement with the PIJ.
In the end, he was found not guilty on eight of
17 charges, including conspiracy to maim and
murder people abroad and providing material
support to a terrorist organization. He was
acquitted on all other charges, with 10 of 12
jurors acquitting him on all charges.

Al-Arian remains in jail pending the government’s
decision to retry him on the remaining counts.
Conspiracy to commit racketeering and conspiracy
to provide material support to a terrorist
organization are among the remaining charges.

Judge James Moody has scheduled the retrial for
April. As a prisoner at Orient Road Jail,
Al-Arian is limited to three 20-minute phone
conversations per day. Al-Arian agreed to an
exclusive phone interview with the Oracle on
Thursday. It is the second phone interview to be
conducted with the media since his incarceration.
What follows is a transcript of one 20-minute
conversation split between Sami Al-Arian, his
wife and the Oracle News Editor Ryan Blackburn.
Al-Arian was not provided with the questions ahead of time.

Ryan Blackburn: How are you feeling?
Sami Al-Arian: I’m all right, I guess. I’m very
disappointed that we have to go through this
again, but other than that I’m all right.

R.B.: What do you think should have happened after the acquittal in December?
S.A.: If the government were true to the system —
let me give you a simple example: Right before
the verdict on my part, there was a federal trial
with a guy. I forgot his name; he was the owner
of the Hooters the restaurant chain, and he was
accused and charged with tax evasion — I think
$11 billion dollars or something to that effect.
His case ended with a mistrial, 6-6, and the
government said if we couldn’t convince more than
six people, we’re not going to retry this, that’s the end of it.

Then on my part, I got a 10-2 acquittal — not
6-6, 10-2 — and still they don’t want to drop it.
They still want to spend the taxpayers’ money and
continue this persecution without any regard to
what the jurors said and observed and commented.
I’m disappointed in that, had I not been a
Palestinian and a Muslim and an Arab, things
would have been extremely different. People would
have understood that the government cannot win
this case and they would just drop it, but this
government will not do that. Because, I think, of
the reason to (inaudible) and also because I
believe the media pressure that has been going
on, which is unrelenting unfortunately from the mainstream.

R.B.: What’s been the worst part of all this?
S.A.: The worst part is feeling that your family
is suffering. That’s been the most torturous
part. You know you’re innocent, you know that you
haven’t done anything that deserved all this, and
this has been a political case from day one, and
knowing that not only you had to suffer — which,
sometimes if you have to take it, you take it.
But why should your family be suffering? Your
children are growing up without you, they are
deprived of your love and your kindness and your
guidance and your advice, and your wife is
suffering on a daily basis; that’s the toughest
part. Knowing that — that this is an ordeal that
has been going on know for three years and is
continuing and you can’t do much about it.

R.B.: Have you been keeping in contact with any
former students or faculty from the University?
S.A.: I know some people do send me messages
(and) e-mails, and I get them through the
coalition e-mails. Some people send me their
regards and things of that sort, but I don’t have
any official contact with anyone at the
University. Friends and supporters, yes.

R.B.: How do you get your news?
S.A.: I am allowed a radio, and I do get a
newspaper. Of course the conditions of
confinement are extremely restrictive,
particularly restrictive. I’ve spent three years
now in solitary confinement, two of them in one
of the most restrictive environments you could
ever have in a federal penitentiary. It’s called
the special housing unit, and it is no different
really from what Guantanamo is. If you know how
Guantanamo people are treated, (it’s) pretty
similar to it with one exception, and that is
that you can get weekly visits. And when I was
there for two years at Coleman, I was the only
pretrial detainee in that unit. That unit is
designed for federal convicts who have
disciplinary problems. That unit is not even
designed for normal prisoners. If you are in the
general compound and you knife somebody or you
have a fight with a guard or you have any other
kind of disciplinary problem, they will transfer
you to that unit for disciplinary purposes, and
normally you stay there for a month or two. I was
there for two years. Even those people are
allowed contact visits. I was never allowed a
contact visit. Normally, if you are in the
compound you have about 60 minutes a day of phone
call privileges. Over there you have 15 minutes a
month. That is one call a month. If you misdial
or get the wrong number or don’t find your folks,
that’s it and you’re on to the next month. I
wasn’t allowed to even make a phone call for six months.

It was designed basically as psychological
torture against me. I was the only person who was
pretrial in the whole facility of 75,000 people.
And now I’m here (at Orient Road Jail) for a
year, and it’s still 23 hours of solitary
confinement a day. You are only allowed to
exercise two hours a week, three hours if you’re
lucky. That’s not even the standard; I mean the
standard — if you go to any standard prison, even
for solitary confinement people there are
supposed to get one hour a day, and I’m not even
getting that. And for whatever reason, I’m not
even in the men’s section of the prison; they are
putting me in the female section of the prison.
And of course the females are not around me. I am
in a whole compound by myself. There are four
cells that are totally empty. I am the only one in it.

They tell you this is for your protection, but
obviously it’s not that. And every time you leave
your cell, you’ve got to be hand shackled and leg
shackled and all kinds of humiliation and
unnecessary procedures, which doesn’t make any
sense because where are you going to go? You’re
totally surrounded, but that’s the way it has
been. All these procedures I’ve been subjected to
here in the county, they are not regular
procedures. These are really extraordinary
procedures that they don’t explain to you (the
reasons behind), but you know you can deduce the
feds keep telling us to do this, do that.

R.B.: Would you care to elaborate what those procedures are?
S.A.: You’re not allowed, for instance, to
congregate for religious services. I am probably
the only Muslim here that is not allowed to join
the Muslim congregation in prayer. I’m not
allowed to go to the library. I’m not allowed to basically talk to anybody.
I don’t have any men to talk to here, but even if
I had been in the men’s section, I’m not allowed
to talk to anybody or be with anybody — even to
exercise with anybody — so you’re in total isolation.

R.B.: How do you spend your day?
S.A.: Basically I do a lot of reading, because
you are allowed to receive books and newspapers.
I listen to the radio (you are allowed a radio),
and I pray a lot. I am allowed to call my family,
unlike in the federal system, which I was in for
two years. But that’s only for a limited amount
of time daily, like from a half an hour to an
hour a day. And these kinds of restrictions, I
can tell, you were designed to hamper my defense.
When I was in the federal system for two years, I
wasn’t allowed at the beginning even to have much
legal material in my cell, and whenever I would
meet with my lawyers, they were not allowed to
bring in a lot of material when they met with me.
And when you go to them, you really had to walk a
lot of distance (with) legs shackled, hands
cuffed behind your back, and they would refuse to
carry your legal material. So for a couple of
months, I had to carry them on my back. So I had
to bend over with my legal material on my back
and walk all the way from my cell to where my
lawyer would be, which was about close to half a
mile of walking distance. I walked like that for
two months until the captain saw me one day and
was extremely angry with the guards for the way
they had been doing it. Then they changed it, and
at that time they started hand cuffing me from
the front with a chain around the waist where I
could carry my legal stuff with my hands. All
these were unnecessary, but it’s part of the
system, I guess, to put whatever pressure they can on you.

R.B.: What type of an effect do you think this
case has had on Muslim and non-Muslim relations?
S.A.: This case has been widely observed
overseas. The channel Al Jazeera had a lot of
coverage for it, so people are very much aware
what is going on, and they thought that it would
be very difficult for a Palestinian and a Muslim
to receive a fair trial in this country, and the
jury proved them wrong and we were extremely
proud of them. And that’s been basically
communicated. So in a sense it was very bad for
the Arab, Muslim Palestinian populations in the
Middle East to see that people are being
persecuted for exercising their freedom of speech.
At the same time they were extremely and happily
surprised that justice could still be rendered
and that the jury system is indeed a system that
shows the true meaning of democracy, where you
have 12 ordinary people sitting and listening to
the evidence and not being prejudiced by the
environment around them as well as by the
government’s intimidation and voting to acquit,
so that I think was extremely positive in the
minds of the people, and I think that that made
it easier for people to appreciate the true
meaning of democracy and involvement of every
citizen. But at the same time you look at what
the government is doing and you know, so the pendulum goes back and forth.

Look at what the government is doing and look
what the people are doing, so there is a keen
understanding that the American people are much
more open, just and fair than the government.

R.B.: What do you think about the treatment of Sameeh Hammoudeh?
S.A.: It’s unconscionable. I mean, it’s
unbelievable. It just shows that even if somebody
is acquitted, that they wouldn’t let go. To me, I
am extremely surprised and disappointed. It
doesn’t make any sense. But I think eventually he
would leave, it’s not going to go on forever.
It’s just a matter of days, if not sooner. I
cannot imagine that this can go on without the judge making a determination.

R.B.: What kind of an outcome are you looking for in your case?
S.A.: Fair treatment, and fairness said that
there wasn’t evidence. The jurors have said that there was no evidence.

Automated Message: You have one minute left.
S.A.: The way to deal with this would be for the
government to drop its case and move on. We have
been treated extremely unfairly and unjustly, and
that’s got to stop. That’s got to stop. Let’s
face it: They had 90 counts over four defendants,
not a single guilty verdict they were able to get
out of this jury, and in most cases, there was
total acquittal or (inaudible), and they had
every single thing and demand they asked the
judge (granted); they gave them everything.

Nahla Al-Arian: You don’t have enough time, that’s it.
end of article