[News] Haiti - So Ann has been released from prison

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Aug 15 08:38:00 EDT 2006

So Ann is finally RELEASED from prison in Haiti

So Ann (Annette August) who has been in prison
for over two years (since May 10, 2004) is in the
process of being RELEASED. Apparently the Haitian
police are escorting her home as I write this
(8:21pm) This is the latest information we've
received from Haiti. We are on the phone with
Haiti righ now. Our Haiti contact was at the Palè
Jistis, at a hearing where So Ann, along with
others, including  Yvon Zap Zap, Paul Raymond,
and George Honore have had their cases examined by the judicial authorities.

The hearing has been going on most of the day.
According to our Haiti contact, who knows that
HLLN was the first to report and write about So
Ann's arrest and has been very anxious to see her
release, the Haitian judge in charge has found
that there is NO EVIDENCE whatsoever to hold So
Ann in prison. (See, HLLN's report on the arrest
of Sò Ann and the May 12, 2004 Urgent Action
Alert: Defenseless Haitian Children hooded and
manacled (ala Iraqi prisoner/terrorists
treatment) by US Marines in the dead of night in
Haiti
http://www.margueritelaurent.com/campaigns/campaignone/presswork/so_anne_arrestupdate.html
  ;http://www.sfbayview.com/051204/soanne051204.shtml
and See Conspiracy of Not, by Ezili Danto, May
13, 2004 http://www.margueritelaurent.com/pressclips/conspiracy.html)

According to all the inquiries and investigations
presented by the prosecuting folks in Haiti, the
determination is that there was no legal reason
for So Ann to have been put in jail in the first
place. For instance, our Haiti contact explains
that no one showed up to testify against these
defendants. For example, our contact who was in
the courtroom reports that Charles Henri Baker
was one of the folks who had filed a complaint
against So Ann for the Dec. 5, 2003 University
incident. Apparently all those who signed
complaints against So Ann, including Charles
Henri Baker, and all those who filed complaints
for the other three in court today, simply did
not show up in court to prove their claims when
their names where called up and allegations read.
Apparently Haitian defense attorney Mario Joseph
was well prepared and showed medical records to
show where So Ann was on December 5, 2004 and
other evidence that exonerated all the wrongfully
and illegally held detainees. According to our
latest report, the only folks who showed up in
court where the supporters of the detainees.
Again, none of the folks who signed complaints
against So Ann and the others showed up to litigate their claims.

After hearing all of Mario Joseph evidence, the
government prosecutor (Commissaire  Gouvernment)
asked that So Ann and all the prisoners be
immediately released to go to their homes and be with their families.

Our Haiti contact's understanding is that the
prisoners will go to their homes directly and not
back to prison to be processed out. Apparently
the necessary documents have been all signed.
Tomorrow apparently is Yvon Zap Zap's wife's
birthday and many Haitian folks are finally
starting to feel today was a good day for Haiti.

Stay tuned for further HLLN details on this
developing story. Let your friends know a glimmer
of hope came  through today for Haitian women and Haiti.

Marguerite Laurent, Esq.
Haitian Lawyers Leadership Network
August 14, 2006, 8:21 p.m.

HLLN BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Letter from Jail, Annette (Sò Ann) Auguste
- May 10, 2005

May 10, 2004, May 10, 2005:

Twelve months since I was arrested by the U.S.
Marines in Port-au-Prince. They accused me of
having contact with Haitian Muslims and planning
to attack them. On May 10, 2004, the U.S. Marines
assaulted, brutally, my home in the middle of the
night with explosives and large arms; terrorizing
all within, especially the small children of my family.

I speak to the world as a prisoner of conscience
in Haiti, held in detention for my political
beliefs and convictions. I can never forget the
trauma these men have caused to the youngest and
most vulnerable of our household. I think none of
us will ever be able to forget the inhuman
treatment we were subjected to in the course of
this violent action undertaken in the name of the
Bush government for what it calls “BUILDING DEMOCRACY” in my homeland.

 From my cell, I am giving hope by the many
voices being raised against the injustice the
people of Haiti are being forced to suffer today.
I am grateful to Congresswoman Maxine Waters and
countless others who have stood up in solidarity
with the Haitian people in order to stop the
bloodletting and help the outside world to know
the truth and reality we are faced today.

I send you all my love and gratitude for
remaining strong in separating the lies from the
truth in Haiti’s current situation. I send you
all my blessings as a free Haitian woman fighting
for the rights of the impoverished majority in my homeland.

They may imprison my body, but they will never
imprison the truth I know in my soul. I will
continue to fight for justice and truth in Haiti until I draw my last breath.

ANNETTE AUGUSTE (Sò An)
May 10, 2005
Penitentiary of Pétion-Ville (Haiti)