[News] Eric Mann's Bay Area book signing -- Katrina's Legacy -- Aug 10, 7PM

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Aug 2 13:16:23 EDT 2006

Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 7:00PM
at Centro del Pueblo Auditorium
474 Valencia, San Francisco (Mission District)

[]

As part of the West Coast launch of his new book, Katrina's Legacy ,
Eric will be discussing the centrality of the Black Liberation
Movement for the entire U.S. Left and programmatic proposals for a
new reconstruction in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.

Eric Mann, Damon Azali, Patrisse Cullors, Mark-Anthony Johnson, and
Francisca Porchas will be going to New Orleans as a Strategy Center
team in August for the 1st anniversary of Katrina.

August 10 program:

Introduction
Phil Hutchings of the Bay Area Katrina Solidarity Group

Readings from Katrina's Legacy
Vanessa Moses of Just Cause Oakland,
Zachary Norris of The Ella Baker Center

Presentation
Eric Mann: The Role of Katrina's Legacy as a Tactic in the Movement
Building Process

Book Signing by the Author

Presentation
Kali Akuno of The People's Hurricane Relief Fund & Oversight
Coalition and The Malcolm X Grassroots Movement: Concrete Solidarity
with New Orleans on the 1st Anniversary of Katrina

Q & A from Audience

Please forward this email to your friends in the Bay Area. Thanks!

Praise for Legacy | Event Information | How to Order | Eric's Biography

Praise for Katrina's Legacy :

"Buy this book and study it well. Eric Mann was my first teacher in
the black freedom movement; he taught me door-to-door canvassing and
basic organizing. And then he introduced me to SNCC. Eric is still
teaching and organizing a new generation, and setting the pace as we
build up our strength for the Battle of New Orleans."

Komozi Woodard, author of A Nation within a Nation: Amiri Baraka and
Black Power Politics.

"Katrina's Legacy stands with Black Nations 9/11 as the clearest
strategic statement within the movement, a must read for anyone
working in solidarity with the reconstruction movement in New Orleans
and the Gulf Coast."

Kali Akuno, People's Hurricane Relief Fund & Oversight Coalition

"Mann's writing is a door. Our movement, and indeed, the very life of
Black New Orleans, depends on our ability to fully comprehend and
embrace the counter-hegemonic and long-term movement building demands
that Mann describes."

Xochitl Bervera, Families and Friends of Louisiana's Incarcerated Children

"From the first days after Katrina struck New Orleans, Eric Mann has
been a crucial ally to organizers on the ground. Katrina's Legacy is
vital for anyone looking for a deeper understanding of what happened
in New Orleans, and what we can do about it."

Jordan Flaherty, New Orleans Organizer; Editor, Left Turn Magazine

"Places the Gulf catastrophe in the historical context of racist
capitalist rule in the U.S. at a critical time when the 'cracks in
the ruling class levees' are visible for all to see. Mann provides
political leadership and the outlines of a plan for action, and calls
us to our battle stations."

Glen Ford, Executive Editor and Co-Publisher, The Black Commentator

"An inspiring call to action rooted in a powerful tradition of Black
resistance in the South. It provides a comprehensive framework, a
clear vision and strategy for this moment in history to build the
movement among communities of color and low-wage workers."

Ai-jen Poo, CAAAV Organizing Asian Communities

"Excellent. Mann has a distinct talent for drawing political lessons
from historical events. Every movement needs a map. Katrina's Legacy
takes us to the ravaged Gulf Coast and shows us how to find the road
toward a Third Reconstruction. America needs this movement, and Eric
helps us find our way."
Vijay Prashad, author of Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting : Afro-Asian
Connections and the Myth of Cultural Purity

Event Information

Thursday, August 10th
7:00 PM

Centro del Pueblo Auditorium
474 Valencia (Between 15th & 16th Streets in the Mission District)
San Francisco, 94103
-BART: 16th Street Mission Station (2 blocks from station)
-MUNI Lines: 14, 22, 26, 33, 49

Suggested donation: $5 - no one turned away
All admissions are applicable to the purchase price of the book at the event.

Please RSVP to Kelly Archbold-
<mailto:kelly at thestrategycenter.org>kelly at thestrategycenter.org or
(213) 387-2800 x10.

How to Order

Copies of Katrina's Legacy are $15. Bulk prices are available,
additional discounts available for New Orleans and Gulf Coast groups.

Please visit <http://www.frontlinespress.com>www.frontlinespress.com
or call (213) 387-2800.

Eric Mann
Eric Mann is a veteran of the Congress of Racial Equality, Newark
Community Union Project, Students for a Democratic Society, and the
United Auto Workers. He is the author of Comrade George, Taking on
General Motors, LA's Lethal Air, Dispatches from Durban, and The 2004
Elections: A Turning Point for the U.S. Left. He is presently the
director of the Labor/Community Strategy Center in Los Angeles and is
a member of the Planning Committee of the Bus Riders Union.

<http://www.frontlinespress.com>www.frontlinespress.com
www.thestrategycenter.org
(213) 387 - 2800