[News] Elsa Knight Thompson - The truth is always left of center!

Anti-Imperialist News News at freedomarchives.org
Thu Apr 6 13:48:25 EDT 2006

The truth is always left of center!
                       - Elsa Knight Thompson

I offer this message In celebration of today, which would have been
the 100th birthday of Elsa Knight Thompson.

Elsa was a forerunner, role model, and a spiritual grandmother of the
Freedom Archives. Several of us worked closely with her. Her lifetime
of work in radio and her aliveness to new revolutionary currents
remain an inspiration.

At the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) in London during World
War II, the program Radio Newsreel, where she headed the
international desk, reached an estimated audience of 20 million
people worldwide.  In the United States her documentary programs and
interviews, mainly generated at KPFA-FM in Berkeley, won numerous
broadcasting awards. She was a pathfinder for women in broadcasting
and one of the leading forces in the evolution of community
radio.  Her interviews are legendary.

As the recently and also dearly departed music critic and longtime
KPFA programmer Phil Elwood said: "When Elsa had some very special
guest on the air most of the staff and lots of townsfolk-subscribers
would crowd into the station to watch it all happen.  Who among those
present will ever forget Elsa and Paul Robeson?"

Elsa was a very dear friend of mine. We worked together in radio for
some years, then became even closer during the final years of her
life, when I began to help her with an unpublished
autobiography/biography. She died on February 12, 1983. I met her in
1968, shortly before I became News Director at KPFA-FM in Berkeley,
when she was, as she had been since 1957, Public Affairs Director and
later Program Director.  The book records her birth this way:

Two weeks before the San Francisco earthquake, on April 6, 1906,
Elsie Eloise was born in Bonner's Ferry, Idaho, to Murel Bolden and
Earl Knight.  Although her parents came from Seattle, Washington,
they were sent to Idaho by their parents to disguise the fact that
the child was conceived out of wedlock. When they returned to
Seattle, now legally married, the official birth date was listed as
three months later, to provide a veneer of "legitimacy."

While the birth of this child was hardly an earthshaking event at the
time, in years to come her creative work would play an important part
in helping to tremble the Northern California earth again, this time
not as a quake, but as part of the worldwide wave of social protest
of the 1960s, one of whose epicenters was Berkeley and the San
Francisco Bay Area.
Social protest was an important part of her life from childhood, for
she grew up in the activist Northwest where many union organizing
efforts of the IWW were concentrated.  Her father was a journalist,
and she heard vehement discussions on all sorts of topics, as the
house swirled with the controversies brought forth by shootings of
workers in Centralia, Washington, conditions in the lumber camps,
World War I, and the Russian Revolution.

Elsa's personality, full of contradictions, had a power well
remembered by anyone who met her, friend or foe.  She was a
controversial figure, and could be uncompromising, cantankerous,
stubborn, irascible.  She didn't "suffer fools gladly."  At the same
time, she was a sensitive, consistent friend and great helper to a
remarkably large number and variety of people. Less well known than
her radio work were her many close connections to activists and
revolutionaries, from Europe before World War II to the Black Panther
Party, the United Farm Workers, Women for Peace, and the list goes on and on.

Elsa was not a large woman physically, but her presence was
commanding.  Partly this was the power of her voice, the intensity
and depth of her gaze.  She was a memorable conversationalist, with
an often barbed and sardonic sense of humor and a certain unerring
ability to say the unspeakable truth, no matter whose toes were
stepped on.  One always wonders (and misses) the sharpness of her wit
during these imperio-fascistic times!

Another less well known but transformative chapter in Elsa's life,
more relevant than ever today, was her rape and pregnancy at 17,
followed by a botched (then illegal) abortion that she almost died
from, and a long period of despair, illness, and then eventual
recuperation.  In the end she emerged to say:

Something within these events brought into full flower earlier
influences of my childhood, creating within me a power I only partly
understand, a force far larger than myself, causing me to speak out
when something had to be said, reinforcing within me an unyielding
love of truth.

Most of all I resolved absolutely, with no-holds-barred, that, as I
could not have children myself, I would do whatever I could to try to
help build a better world, to make this Earth a better place for all
children to be born into, to use whatever abilities I had and was
able to cultivate in the service of humanity.  That was my
resolution, and that resolve became the guiding force of my life.

Of course, we can look at the world now and wonder whether or not the
efforts of my lifetime, and the struggles of so many other people in
all nations, have indeed resulted in a better world.  In many ways,
the world situation has been getting steadily and visibly worse since
I began my quest!  Yet even so, I deeply believe that the efforts of
so many I have known cannot have been in vain.  The survival of the
Earth is at stake, just as so many years ago, my own survival
teetered on the brink of destruction.  The root of hope, the strength
found within the common struggle of people for freedom, justice, and
peace, the constant creative effort to raise the new generations as
stronger, healthier, and happier people-this struggle is at the heart
of my commitment.

But one thing I know for certain:  I emerged from over a year of deep
psychological and physical terror as a woman with a mission, and I
have tried to remain true to that mission over the course of terrible
and tumultuous years in world history.

Of course, there is so much more to say and tell, If you are
interested in learning more about Elsa Knight Thompson, contact The
Freedom Archives.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELSA!

                       Lincoln Bergman, for
                       The Freedom Archives

PS - Elsa was a mentor and friend to me, a very naive teenager, as i
got my start in radio at KPFA in the late 1960s. (and also when
Lincoln and i first met and became life-long friends).
Claude