[News] Haiti - Father Jean Juste conditionally released!

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jul 15 19:47:00 EDT 2005

Folks,

Just got the phone call to say that Father Jean-Juste has been released. I
have not spoken yet with him directly as of yet. But we information that
this is not an unconditional release and that Fr. Jean Juste had been taken
to the Judicial Police headquarters, but they let him go home for the
weekend, saying that he needed to come back on Monday.

Point is, we rush this info to the Network and to thank all who made calls
to MINUSTHA asking for the father's release. Thank you so much. We must
keep watch on Monday to be sure the father receives due process.

Obviously, there is credible evidence of systematic State repression and we
know that the Noreiga/Foley death regime in Haiti have declared war on the
people. Their singular objective seems to be to break the back of the
majority in Haiti who are insisting on the return to Constitutional rule,
release of the political prisoners and a stop to the U.N. sanctioned
slaughter in the poor neighborhoods.

We note that the allege purpose of the UN military operations in Site
Soleil and Bel Air are for "disarmament." Yet, civilians continue to be
slaughtered, but the UN commanders have given NO REPORT of gun
confiscations. They only kill, kill, kill - babies, grandparents, pregnant
women, even people in wheelchairs and say they are bringing peace and security.

Yesterday, when I spoke to father Jean Juste while he was still in Miami,
transcribing that crazy woman's radio accusations so he could let the
international community know the various attacks against him, he said he
was tired of little children dying, tired of the slaughtered, the inability
to bury everyone, the maggots eating the unclaimed at the morgue, the young
children being brought to him with exploding bullets in their stomachs
instead of food.

In our opinion, the intent of this current aggressions in Haiti appears to
be to put everyone in prison who have a rapport with the people of Haiti
and let the assassins free, such as the ex-soldiers who were just recently
acquitted in the Raboteau judgment. The Coup insiders appear to believe
that Father Jean Juste represents another Aristide and they did not
destabalize Haiti to this point so that another "Aristide" would come to
power in Haiti. Thus, the word is that the Coup Regime and it's
International backers are disposed to keep father Jean Juste in custody,
like they have Prime Minister Neptune, until their "elections" are held and
their hand-picked candidate (puppet) have been "elected."

But the people of Haiti vow to bring back Constitutional rule no matter how
long it takes. It costs $25 million dollars per month for MINUSTHA soldiers
to be in Haiti slaughtering the people as they did on July 6 and acting as
the "satisfied" occupation force for the US they have come to be.

Yet despite the repression, the people continue to protest. Less than 3%
have registered for these farce of elections. In fact, the people of Haiti
have just renamed Route 9 in Haiti, a major thoroughfare: "Dread Wilme
Boulevard".

Thousands have fallen because of this Bush regime change. Haiti has no
security, less infrastructure than it had before the Coup D'etat and no
authorized legal entity capable of stopping these arbitrary arrests,
killings of journalists, babies, pregnant women, old man, young man and
reversing this travesty.

As usual the promises are made to give "aid" to Haiti 1.4 billion promised
since last July, 2004. But the people only see poor soldiers from poor
Latin American countries in Haiti getting paid $25 million per month to
repress, slaughter and back up the former Haitian military and guys like
Guy Phillipe while they starve.

Yesterday, 5,000 Haitians reportedly marched to peacefully protest the UN
slaughers, the arbitrary arrest and to demand return of President Aristide.
But the UN continued the killing spree and pacification program: Six more
Haitian civilians were reported killed by UN forces in the Boston
neighborhood of Cite Soleil [including three children, aged 9, 5 and 4.

When will the world say no and stand on the right side of history? Against
the humiliation, repression, arbitrary arrests, and UN occupation force
covering up the fleecing of state industry assets and resources by foreign
multinational corporations and the war profiteers masturbating of Haitian
pain, death and humiliation? Stand for justice for the people slaughtered
by the UN troops on July 6, 2005 at Cite Soleil? How long before these
troops are brought before the International Criminal Court for these war
crimes against Haitian civilians, along with US citizens formenting
violence and slaughter in Haiti, such as, Roger Noreiga, James Foley and
Andy Apaid, Jr.? How long before the inherent dignity of each Haitian, the
equal and inalienable rights to Haitian life, freedom and justice be
respected? In sum, how long before the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights apply to us Haitians?.(http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html)

Marguerite Laurent, Esq.
Haitian Lawyers Leadership Network
July 15, 2005

************

Report on the July 13 Meeting with the Brazilian Consolate in Miami

A delegation of 5 people met with the Brazilian Consul General Joad Almino,
who spent the better part of 20 minutes in his private office on the phone
with the Brazilian MINUSTAH folks  clarifying the flyer we handed him
regarding the July 6th massacre., which we took from the Haiti Action web
site.  He addressed us politely and patiently allowed us each to voice our
concerns, Father Jean-Just opened the discussions with the facts regarding
July 6th, and presented the Consul General with a Flyer as well as
literature describing the agenda of the Fanmi Lavalas Party and other
literature of the suffering and History of the Haitian people, Father Gerry
then  put forth the demands for (the return of the President and
constitutional order, the freedom of Political Prisoners including Yvon
Neptune and Annette Auguste, end to the Genocide of poor Haitians, and the
human rights abuses, and a return to the programs started by the Fanmi
Lavalas Party (education, health care, clean water, farming) etc.  He again
implored the Brazilian Consul to help in whatever way he could to get work
to President Lula regarding the concentration camp situation which the
citizens of Cite Soleil are forced to live, and the acts of genocide
perpetrated against them, he spoke about eh political prisoners, the
children and the structural violence against the poor.  The consular
General was clearly physically moved by the information and explained that
we was not prepared for such a discussion but would do his best to help.

Jack spoke about the Irony of the leftist Workers Party playing a
repressive role in Haiti after freeing its people from decades of
repression under the previous military dictatorship, he implored the
Consular General to appeal to Lulas leftist philosophy which liberated his
country and made the connection with Aristide's work in Haiti, he made the
connection of Brazil  repressing the will and constitution of the majority
of Haitian people, doing the same thing which had been done to them,  he
made a strong point regarding Brazils entry into imperialist politics by
assuming the role the United States orchestrated for them as leaders of the
Security Counsel.   Jack also spoke about the elections and that as long as
there was no peace there could be no elections.

Lavarice spoke about the University built under Aristide (I don't know the
name of it) ,  which Brazil had closed down, the Consul general seemed to
know nothing about it, but would get an explanation. Lavarice implored the
consul General to work to seek a peaceful alternative to the present
situation, and made the point that Brazil did not sit and speak with the
elected officials of Haiti upon entry into the country, in fact they
watched while Lavalas  Government representatives, teachers, workers,
children were detained, arrested and killed.

I spoke in some detail regarding the deteriorating social service
infrastructure of the health care system. That these programs were already
in place and have now fallen apart because there is no capacity to run
them.  He informed us that Brazil and France were engaged in creating a
health care program through the World Bank to help Haiti and that Brazil
would continue to Help Haiti rebuild and would lead this effort with the
help of the world bank.  We again informed him that the President of
Haiti  was elected by his people to do that. I also reminded the Consul
that Brazil had the largest number of Africans living outside of Africa
today and that in Haiti Africans elected their President and he was removed
against the will of those who elected him, an unconstitutional act, that
there was never any dialogue with Lavalas only a dialogue with Apaid who
runs a factor of nearly 4,000 people who he pays $1.50 and Lula being a
friend of  the workers and leader of a union should be on the side of the
workers who are continually detained, I named Lulu Cherry and Apolon.

And so the debate continued.

Father Jean-Juste ended the meeting by saying that what is immediately
needed is an end to the war against the Haitian poor and specifically the
citizens of Cite Soleil need to have the concentration camp barriers
removed so they can go on with their lives and asked Mr. Almino to take
this message to President Lula, he promised us he would, and also would
accept a detailed letter to give to Lula.  We decided to produce such a
letter in the next week or so and to step up our demonstrations at the
Brazilian Consulate.

Both the Consular General and his aid felt that they had learned something
important not only about their own government but also about Haiti, but
pointed out that their business it about trade and visas not international
politics.

I would like to add that those organizations planning demonstrations at
Brazilians consulates should be armed with facts, whenever we mention facts
about abuse please make sure to have the organization presenting those
facts e.g.. Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti etc.( The consul
general consistently repeated the aim of the Brazilian UN force as only and
totally a peace keeping force but that they would begin projects to help
rebuild the country, but played no part the in eh violence  so if we
have  facts about which forces are doing the killing this is extremely
important, when we visit the consul general  we must have a written list of
demands, those demands should reflect the demands of Lavalas, with some
specific suggestions that the Consulate can take (either by organizing a
bilateral meeting with the representative of the Brazilian Government, or
presenting our petitions and letters) We should also ask for a timetable on
any initiative they agree to.  Please record the outcomes of your meetings
so that information can be shared.

Carolyn

**********
Movement Gathers Steam to Protest UN Massacres in Cite Soleil

Dear July 21st Organizers,

Four things to bear in mind, as we prepare for this new phase in the struggle.

1.  We have an opening here. This is a rare moment. The next few weeks are
critical to taking advantage of this opportunity to break open the
information blockade...build new alliances...isolate the imperialists and
pro-coup forces.

2.  Note that this Update has been revised to include the last paragraph:
Let us not forget, as we focus on the UN this time, that these massacres of
Haitian people are "made in the USA", and the UN forces are a proxy force
doing the dirty work for the US government and their partners in crime.  I
propose that we include this idea in leaflets, press statements, etc. --
without diluting our focus on the big UN role in this phase of the
continuing war against Haiti's poor majority.

3.   Also, we're taking our cue from the defiant mass movement in Haiti --
they want the UN out, they want the US out, they want the coup regime out
-- three different ways of saying the same thing.

4.   One more thing, broader forces are getting involved - central American
and Latin American solidarity groups, for  example. We need to grab this
opening and push hard to raise their level of awareness and activity around
Haiti, and develop a real solidarity relationship.

People are working harder. The love and solidarity is getting stronger ...
I can feel it.

Dave

             UPDATE  ON 7-21 CITE SOLEIL MASSACRE PROTESTS

     Dear Friends,

     Energetic organizing is taking place for the Thursday, July 21st
protests against the massacre of civilians by UN troops in Cite Soleil on
July 6th, and the continued atrocities being committed by UN troops and
Haitian National Police. Trade Unionists in Brazil will join the July 21
coordinated protests. See below for details.

     Today's big protest in Cite Soleil -- 5,000 defy UN troops despite
continued UN killing spree

     Today July 14th, shortly after midnight, six more Haitian civilians
were reported killed by UN forces in the Boston neighborhood of Cite Soleil
[including three children, aged 9, 5 and 4] -- in what activists believed
was an attempt to intimidate people from participating in a big
demonstration scheduled for later today in Cite Soleil. [Today's
demonstration had been announced two days ago by the Lavalas movement in
Cite Soleil, to protest the July 6th massacre there. ]

     But the Cite Soleil residents were not to be intimidated. People threw
rocks and bottles at the soldiers and armored vehicles of MINUSTAH, and
blocked entrances so more armored vehicles could not enter the area.

     At 10:30 a.m. today, more than 5,000 people turned out for the big
demonstration that had been called by Lavalas. The demonstrators chanted
for the return of President Aristide,  and demanded prison for the leaders
and backers of the coup regime. They also demanded that the illegal regime
leave the country, so that President Aristide could return and finish his
mandate, at which time free, fair and democratic elections could be organized.

     Asked why the people of Cite Soleil continue to demonstrate, in
defiance of the continued murderous assaults by UN and police forces,
journalist Georges Honorat said, "People in Haiti see no choice but to
fight." He described the wealthy Haitian elite, death squad elements and
the CIA had intervened three times to torpedo the democratic choice of the
Haitian people in an election -- with each intervention resulting in
thousands of death squad killings. First, in the 1987 elections, sabotaged
by armed gangs of Duvalierists. Second, the 1991 coup. Third, the 2004 coup.
     "This is what motivates the Haitian people to continue to fight until
victory." [Thanks to Flashpoints Radio, KPFA,
     for a report by Kevin Pina and Georges Honorat of Haiti Progres
newspaper, of which this is a summary.]

     Update on Demonstrations to protest the July 6th UN  massacre in Cite
Soleil and continued UN killings  -- Unionists will protest in Brazil on 7/21

     *** On July 13th -- Demonstration at Brazil consulate in Miami-- got
TV coverage. Led by Father Gerard Jean-Juste, a delegation met for almost
three hours with Brazilian officials in the consulate.

     *** This Saturday, July 16th -- Big demonstration at the UN in New York

     *** Thursday, July 21st --  Coordinated, multi-city protests, mostly
at Brazil consulates, since Brazil is commanding the UN military contingent
in Haiti...

           1.  Strong preparations in Montreal, New York, Miami and San
Francisco
           2.  Washington DC just announced a protest at the Brazil embassy
           3.  Word is spreading to other US and Canadian cities
           4.  Trade unionists in Brazil will protest the involvement of
Brazil in the massacres, as commander of the UN forces in Haiti.

     Let us not forget, as we focus on the UN this time, that these
massacres of Haitian people are "made in the USA", and the UN forces are a
proxy force doing the dirty work for the US government and their partners
in crime.

     Please keep us informed of your activities.

     In solidarity,

     Dave Welsh
     Labor/Human Rights Delegation to Haiti
     510-898-1544