[News] Haiti - Father Jean-Juste arrested - URGENT HELP NEEDED

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jul 15 18:01:44 EDT 2005

URGENT ACTION ALERT

FATHER GERALD JEAN-JUSTE HAS BEEN TAKEN INTO CUSTODY BY THE MURDEROUS
HAITIAN POLICE

PLEASE FOLKS,

HELP SAVE HIS LIFE. IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED.
FAX, CALL, E-MAIL OFTEN TO REQUEST THAT MINUSTAH Safeguards the life and
liberty of Father Gerald Jean-Juste (Contact info is below and on our
website at:
http://www.margueritelaurent.com/contactinformation/un-intl-contacts.html

We don't have all the facts verified yet, but apparently he has been
arrested on some allegation that he came to the US to buy guns.  This was a
mere accusation made on a radio talk show. The word is this is the excuse
for arresting Father Jean-Juste. Pro-democracy activist must make their
voices be heard. Demand the immediate release of Father Jean-Juste.

BACKGROUND INFO

Dear Friends:

Just got off the phone with people from Fr. Gerry's parish in Port au
Prince.  His flight arrived at 2:20 but he never came out of
airport.  They  waited and waited, but were just told that Fr. Gerry was
taken to a police station - they do not know where just yet.  Am going to
Port au Prince right away - will be there at noon Saturday. Have notified
Mario Joseph.    Peace,

Bill Quigley

*****
HLLN Note - We spoke to Father Jean Juste late yesterday. He was in the
process of writting the note below. We promised to disseminate it as soon
as he was finished. He arrived in Miami two days ago. He said he was
suffocating from the repression, the massacres, the arbitrary
incarcerations, the humiliations of Bush's regime change and occupation in
Haiti suffered by the people. His life has been in constant danger and it
is horrible knowing he is marked for assassination by the coup d'etat
puppet regime and the string-pullers, Roger Noreiga, James Foley, et al.

Again, as weak as it seems to us right now, our only weapon is to get the
word out that Father Jean-Juste's life is in danger. It's in the hands of
the Foley/Norieiga death squads, called "legal force" in occupied Haiti.
Please call MINUSTHA and ask that father Gerard Jean-Juste be release from
police custody immediately. Remind MINUSTHA that according to it's new
enlarged mandate, it is responsible for supervisiong the Haitian police.
Jean-Juste must not be summarily executed by either MINUSTHA or the former
soldiers now dressed-up by the occupation force as "police."

Demand Jean-Juste's life is protected by MINUSTHA.

Contact info for MINUSTHA is

--- gerard jean-juste <njeranjeri at yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear Friends,

    One more time, I am lucky to discover the hands of some plotters
attacking me. Carline Sylvestre who lives in Miami and advocating for the
de facto government slanders me on the radio today. I was able to get the
message and the audio tape as I was leaving on my way to the airport. I
changed my whole schedule, returned home, transcribed the tape and
literally translated it from Creole into English. I am sending it to you
for your info. Of course, it is not true whatever she says about me. Some
friendly lawyers are working on the case. We shall consider all legal
actions possible. Later, we hope to send you a flier distributed at our
demo in front of the Brazilian Consulate in Miami, Florida, Wednesday July,
13.   President Aristide must come back now! Peace! NJeri

Translation of an audio message played on Radio 1020 a.m. early Thursday
July 14, 2005 in Miami, Florida.

 He is in Miami since the day before yesterday, just to receive a money
Aristide unblocked for him to go and make trouble in Haiti. Gérard
Jean-Juste has to return to Haiti either today or tomorrow as he is
recruiting mercenaries for the work to be done. He doesn’t have them all
yet. He has to travel to Haiti aboard a flight of American Airlines coming
from Miami with a large sum of money we’ve already mentioned.

      The mission of this money is to make bombs and spread them
everywhere, especially in the following businesses and factories belonging
to Charles Henry Baker, Andy Apaid and Reginald Boulos. Lavalas has a plan
to implement before July 17. They’ll start on July 15 in the occasion of
Jean-Bertrand Aristide’s anniversary.

     The question we ask, is there an amount of money someone can enter or
leave United States with that is limited to $10,000?

     How come Father Gérard Jean-Juste is carrying at ease a large amount
of money? It is not  the first time  we are finding these reports coming to
us in radio madoken.

     The question remains unanswered and those who want to respond shall do
so. As we were in the struggle to overthrow Aristide, we did it, we did it
purposely, with pride, with no remorse at all. Then,

    (word unclear)
a person like Jean-Bertrand Aristide, ourselves, we want to send him away.
At the time we wanted to do it, American was not always agreed upon.

     As we know Father Gérard Jean-Juste is still alive, we see that
American is not willing to put control over the troubling activities of
Lavalas  in here (US) to be able to spread mourning, despair and desolation
at home, today we are announcing all radio madoken listeners that us we are
going to do it. We’re sure that the authorities in Haiti are listening to
us. We ask them to exercise a tight control, in case of Jean-Bertrand a, a,
a Gérard Jean-Juste is entering, is coming with that money  from United
States, as he’ll enter the Port-au-Prince to lay paw on him. As Gérard
Jean-Juste is listening to this radio this morning, we say to him Tipapa
(Little Daddy) from now on the piyay (free throw) is over. The beton (the
street) in Miami will be for us all. And whatever you want to do, you’ll do
it with us, because the plot business will stop being done in our face
here. We want all of you who are listening us there, understand at the
crossroad we are, it is not a question of Lavalas, Bonifas or Gérard
Latortue anymore, it is simply Jean-Bertrand Aristide against the Haitian
People. You can not sit down watch to let Aristide win 8 million good
people. These People are not asking better than to live in peace other than
to associate themselves to a click that is going to be victorious on us.
Then, for ourselves who hear this news, spread it, call one another, say it
in Haiti, between today and tomorrow Gérard Jean-Juste is coming with a
large amount of money to bring mourning in Haiti with bombs and
mercenaries, they’re looking for, to come and do the work.

    We say, those in favor of Jean-Bertrand Aristide’s return are going to
do just that, they’re going to kill under the pretext of just that. As long
as they are people like ourselves, Jean-Bertrand Aristide can only return
to go to jail.

    We are not only announcing, denouncing, we also announce for our
partisans of change that from this coming Sunday we’ re waiting all of you
to come and develop our own strategies so that the death train won’t  carry
all the Haitian People away.

     Carline Sylvestre for radio madoken, Good day to you all!
**************

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Call and write the United Nations: 212-963-4879, presidentga58 at un.org
*
UN Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH)
PHONE: 011.509.244.9650.9660
FAX: 011.509.244.9366/67
Or, Fax, Office of General Secretary (New York) - 212.963.4879
Hon. Kofi Annan, Secretary-General
United Nations
United Nations Headquarters
First Avenue at 46th Street
New York, NY 10017
inquiries at un.org; press office: (509) 510-2563 ext. : 6343

Ambassador Anne Patterson
Acting Permanent U.S. representative to the United Nations:
212-415-4050 or Peggy Kerry: kerryp at state.gov

With copies to:
Juan Gabriel Valdes, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General to
Haiti;
Lt. General Augusto Heleno Ribeiro Pereira, UN Military Commander in Haiti;
Damian Onses-Cardona, Spokesperson for Gen. Pereira
Gender issues: Nadine Puechguirbal - puechguirbal at un.org
Human rights: Mahamane Cissé-Gouro - cisse-gouro at un.org
Thierry Fagart - fagart at un.org
Touissant Congo-Doudou, Head of Communications MINUSTAH, and
David Beer, Commissioner of CIVPOL -
*************

MINUSTAH: FAX, CALL E-MAIL OFTEN TO REQUEST MINUSTAH Safeguards the life
and liberty of Father Gerald Jean-Juste.

Contact Information
FOR U.N. TROOPS IN HAITI:

Juan Gabriel Valdes
Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General to Haiti
011-509-244-9650 or 9660
fax 011-509 244 3512.

Lt. General Augusto Heleno Ribeiro Pereira
UN Military Commander in Haiti: 011-509-554-8074
pereira17 at un.org

Damian Onses-Cardona
Spokesperson for Gen. Pereira
011-509-557-5118 (cell)
011-509-510-2563, ext. 6303.

Touissant Congo-Doudou
Head of Communications
MINUSTAH: 011-509-557-5906
kongo-doudou at un.org

David Beer
Commissioner of CIVPOL
the UN Civilian Police in Haiti
011-509-525-5279
beer at un.org
fax: 011-509-244-9366.

Gender issues: Nadine Puechguirbal - puechguirbal at un.org
Human rights: Mahamane Cissé-Gouro - cisse-gouro at un.org
Thierry Fagart - fagart at un.org

*********
******

Additional Contact information:
African Union Headquaters
P.O. Box 3243
Addis Ababa
Ethiopia
Tel: (251) 1 51 77 00
Fax (251) 1 51 78 44
website: www.africa-union.org

email for President Alpha Oumar Konare: KonareAO at africa-union.org

Forwarded by the Haitian Lawyers' Leadership Network