[News] The Fugitive - Kathleen Cleaver

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jul 12 19:33:02 EDT 2005

The Fugitive
Why has the FBI placed a million-dollar bounty on Assata Shakur?
By Kathleen Cleaver
http://www.essence.com/essence/life...1081943,00.html
<http://www.essence.com/essence/lifestyle/voices/0,16109,1081943,00.html>

Twenty-eight years ago, in a highly disputed trial, an all-White jury
convicted former Black Panther Assata Shakur of the murder of a New Jersey
state trooper. In 1979, while serving a life sentence, she escaped from
prison and eventually resurfaced in Cuba, where she was granted asylum and
has lived ever since. But the U.S. government has continued to pursue
Shakur, regularly increasing the bounty on her head and classifying her as
a “domestic terrorist.” Last May the Justice Department issued an
unprecedented $1,000,000 bounty for the return of Assata Shakur, 58, who
continues to maintain her innocence. Kathleen Cleaver, a law professor and
former communications secretary for the Black Panther Party, talks about
why we all need to know about Assata, and why she must live free:

I was startled when I heard about the $1,000,000 bounty for the capture of
Assata Shakur. What triggered this renewed interest in Assata? Why spend so
much time and money to hunt her down when Osama bin Laden, head of an
international terrorist enterprise, remains at large?

It turns out that FBI and New Jersey police officials revealed the
million-dollar bounty on May 2 of this year, the thirty-second anniversary
of the New Jersey Turnpike shootout in which State Trooper Werner Foerster
and Black Panther Zayd Shakur were killed. Sundiata Acoli and Assata Shakur
were arrested for the murders. Assata was severely wounded, shot while her
hands were up. She has always insisted—and expert defense testimony from
the trial bears it out—that she did not kill anyone. But in separate
trials, Sundiata and Assata were convicted of murdering Werner Foerster.

In 1979, while incarcerated for life in the Clinton Correctional Facility
for Women in New Jersey, Assata escaped. As the FBI circulated the wanted
poster that called for her arrest, all over the New York­New Jersey area
her supporters hung posters proclaiming “Assata Shakur is welcome here.”
Cuba gave her political asylum several years later on the grounds that she
had been subjected to political persecution and had never received a fair
trial.

Apparently the million-dollar bounty has already been covertly offered by
police to a relative of Assata’s for assistance in kidnapping her from
Cuba. This bounty evokes the memory of those vicious slave catchers who
were paid to capture and torment our runaway slave ancestors and return
them dead or alive. This extraordinary bounty on the head of a Black woman
inevitably brings to mind Harriet Tubman, that Underground Railroad
“conductor” whose ability to organize escapes earned a $12,000 price on her
head from the state of Maryland. Outraged slave owners added $40,000.

Many freedom fighters I knew and loved, including Eldridge Cleaver, to whom
I was married, were arrested and imprisoned because of our membership in
the Black Panther Party. Our organization started in response to the
gruesome war in Vietnam and the racism and injustice here that drenched our
lives in violence. Demonstrations, riots, rampant police brutality and
political assassinations marked those years when I witnessed thousands upon
thousands of people arrested and hundreds killed. Many turned into
fugitives to save their own lives, including my husband, whom I joined in
Algeria in May 1969. That was around the same time that Assata, then a
bright New York City college student named Joanne Chesimard, joined the
Black Panthers.

WE had a concrete ten-point program to end racial inequality. The Black
Panther Party demanded the power to determine our own destiny. We insisted
on decent housing, appropriate education, economic justice, an immediate
end to police brutality, and other rights our people had been fighting for
since slavery ended. We were not patient, we were not passive, and we were
willing to defend our principles with our lives. Since Panthers couldn’t be
bought off or scared off, the government made the decision to kill us off.

www.assatashakur.org

<http://www.assatashakur.org/forums/upload/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=33877>