[News] 40 years...Malcolm X

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Mon Feb 21 08:51:53 EST 2005

"The common goal of 22 million Afro-Americans is respect as human beings,
the God-given right to be a human being. Our common goal is to obtain the
human rights that America has been denying us. We can never get civil
rights in America until our human rights are first restored. We will never
be recognized as citizens there until we are first recognized as humans."
"Racism: the Cancer that is Destroying America," in Egyptian Gazette (Aug.
25 1964).

"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace
unless he has his freedom." "Prospects for Freedom in 1965," speech, Jan. 7
1965, New York City (published in Malcolm X Speaks, ch. 12, 1965).

"The Negro revolution is controlled by foxy white liberals, by the
Government itself. But the Black Revolution is controlled only by God."
Speech, Dec. 1, 1963, New York City.

"I believe in the brotherhood of man, all men, but I don't believe in
brotherhood with anybody who doesn't want brotherhood with me. I believe in
treating people right, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to treat
somebody right who doesn't know how to return the treatment." Speech, Dec.
12 1964, New York City.

"There is nothing in our book, the Koran, that teaches us to suffer
peacefully. Our religion teaches us to be intelligent. Be peaceful, be
courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on
you, send him to the cemetery. That's a good religion." "Message to the
Grass Roots," speech, Nov. 1963, Detroit (published in Malcolm X Speaks,
ch. 1, 1965).

"It's just like when you've got some coffee that's too black, which means
it's too strong. What do you do? You integrate it with cream, you make it
weak. But if you pour too much cream in it, you won't even know you ever
had coffee. It used to be hot, it becomes cool. It used to be strong, it
becomes weak. It used to wake you up, now it puts you to sleep." "Message
to the Grass Roots," speech, Nov. 1963, Detroit (published in Malcolm X
Speaks, ch. 1, 1965).

"Sitting at the table doesn't make you a diner. You must be eating some of
what's on that plate. Being here in America doesn't make you an American.
Being born here in America doesn't make you an American." "The Ballot or
the Bullet," speech, April 3 1964, Cleveland, Ohio (published in Malcolm X
Speaks, ch. 3, 1965).

"If violence is wrong in America, violence is wrong abroad. If it is wrong
to be violent defending black women and black children and black babies and
black men, then it is wrong for America to draft us, and make us violent
abroad in defense of her. And if it is right for America to draft us, and
teach us how to be violent in defense of her, then it is right for you and
me to do whatever is necessary to defend our own people right here in this
country." Speech, Nov. 1963, New York City.