[News] Haiti - Thousands of Bel-Air activists march in solidarity to Cit é Soleil - Yvon Neptune says he is now on total hunger strike

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Fri Apr 22 08:39:19 EDT 2005

AHP News - April 20, 2005  - English translation (Unofficial)

Thousands of Lavalas activists march from Bel-Air to Cité Soleil as an act
of solidarity with the inhabitants of the  shantytown

Port-au-Prince, April 20, 2005  (AHP)- More than 10,000 Lavalas activists
demonstrated this Wednesday in Port-au-Prince to show solidarity with the
inhabitants of Cité Soleil, where more than 20 people were killed during
joint operations conducted by MINUSTAH and the Haitian National Police.
Organized at the initiative of the activists of Bel-Air, the demonstration
started out in front of the Church of Notre Dame du Perpétuel Secours and
concluded in Cité Soleil by way of the districts of Tokio and Lasaline.

Throughout their route, the protestors chanted slogans critical of the
interim authorities whom they accused of doing nothing to relieve the
misery of the population and of wishing to isolate the residents of poor
neighborhoods, notably Cité Soleil.
They also called for "an end to political persecution, the release of all
political prisoners and the return of constitutional order".
In Cité Soleil, the marchers from Bel-Air were welcomed by a crowd of
people who were given bags of food.
"We have made this gesture to show our solidarity with our brothers in Cité
Soleil who are currently suffering great hardships", said a demonstrator.

The march received protection from MINUSTAH soldiers. It proceeded into all
neighborhoods of  Cité Soleil including  Boston, which was until recently
under the control of Robenson Thomas, known as Labanyè, who had a
reputation for being strongly opposed to Lavalas.
The demonstration was momentarily dispersed as UN soldiers fired their
guns. They appeared to be overtaken by events.
The Cité Soleil residents welcomed the humanitarian initiative of the
Bel-Air activists who showed, they said, "that they sympathize with our
suffering by bringing us food and uniting their voices with ours to demand
an end to exclusion and suffering".

A spokesperson for the Lavalas activists of Cité Soleil, John Joël Joseph,
denounced what he viewed as strong-arm tactics employed by UN soldiers in
their operations that have resulted in the deaths, he said, of several
dozens of Lavalas activists in the Cité.
John Joël Joseph appealed to MINUSTAH to put an end to the repression
inflicted upon the people Cité Soleil since the death of  Labanyè.
He saw the operations conducted in the Cité as revenge for the former
opposition to Aristide for whom Labanyè, worked, he said.

MINUSTAH spokespeople affirmed this week that the more than 20 people
killed in Cité Soleil were all gang members working to thwart the UN
peacekeeping mission who were killed during armed clashes.
School children followed along from Bel-Air to Cité Soleil. The
demonstration proceeded peacefully and without incident
The spokesperson for the Bel-Air activists, Samba Boukman, offered a
positive assessment of the march and announced plans for another
demonstration on Friday April 22 to press for the release of all political
prisoners in Haiti.
He accused the interim authorities of wishing to transform the populist
districts into “Bantustans”,  as part of what Mr. Boukman called an
apartheid action by the government.

AHP  April 20, 2005 1:25 PM

Yvon Neptune resumes his hunger strike at the Argentine hospital and
affirms his desire to continue the strike until the de facto authorities
and the UN either release him unconditionally or play a direct role in his
death
Port-au-Prince, April 20, 2005  (AHP)- Former Prime Minister Yvon Neptune
announced Wednesday that as of Sunday April 17 he resumed the hunger strike
he had begun at the National Penitentiary to obtain his release.
Yvon Neptune was incarcerated for many months at the National Penitentiary
before being transferred to MINUSTAH's Argentine hospital to receive
treatment.
Mr. Neptune turned himself in to justice officials following accusations
brought against him by the organizations NCHR and RAMICOSM relating to an
alleged massacre said to have been perpetrated in mid-February 2004 at La
Scierie, a Saint-Marc community.

In a news release dated April 20, Yvon Neptune said that this time he is
waging a total hunger strike.
"I will consume neither food nor liquid. I will continue the strike until
the de facto authorities proceed either to release me unconditionally or
participate directly in my death," said Mr. Neptune.
The former Prime Minister denounced what he called “the mental torture that
APENA officers continue to inflict” upon him as they constantly lurk near
him at the Argentine hospital.
According to Mr. Neptune, the de facto authorities have been doing
everything they can to humiliate him as they seek to keep him in prison as
long as possible or to send him to St-Marc regardless of the conditions.

AHP  April 20, 2005 12:45 PM