[News] Persecution of Haitian Labor Leaders

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Fri Apr 22 08:36:45 EDT 2005

Friends-- An action alert is being prepared based on this letter --
We need people willing to sign the action alert [with organizational
affiliations for I.D. only] immediately -- yourself, plus any others you
know who may want to sign it.
We want labor and religious names, university names, political organization
names, human rights worker names, and
many other names. Please forward names immediately to
<mailto:brianhaiti at aol.com>brianhaiti at aol.com with copy to
<mailto:pierre at haitiaction.org>pierre at haitiaction.org and
<mailto:sub at sonic.net>sub at sonic.net  . We will add them to the Action Alert
as they are received.
Also, please forward this email to anyone you think will want to act on this.
Thanks, Pierre and Dave

Detention and Persecution of Haitian Labor Leaders

-- A Letter from Paul Loulou Chery and Ginette Apollon

[original letter in French appears below]

Port-au-Prince, Haiti, April 21, 2005

To: All international labor organizations

To: All organizations concerned with the defense of human rights

Dear Friends and Comrades, we would like to share with you some facts
concerning persecutions carried out by the de facto Haitian authorities.

On Tuesday, April 19, 2005, Mme. Ginette Apollon, President of the National
Commission of Working Women (CNFT), affiliated with the Confederation of
Haitian Workers (CTH), landed in Haiti on board an American Airlines
flight. She was arriving from Caracas, where she attended an International
Solidarity Conference organized by the Central Organization of Latin
American Workers (CLAT), with which the CTH is affiliated.

Arriving at the airport, Mme. Ginette Apollon was harassed for some two
hours by a customs agent answering to the name of Valery H. Sailvain, who,
after rummaging through her luggage from top to bottom, dared to have her
undressed under the pretext of searching for drugs. Finding nothing, he
arrogantly ordered Mme. Ginette to clear out.

Ginette, believing it was all over, walked into the parking lot to the car
where I, Paul Loulou Chery, and my brother Lamour Chery were waiting for
her. Two National Police agents apprehended the three of us and drove us
first to the airport police station and later to the headquarters of the
Judicial Police (DCPJ) where we were detained for more than seven hours.
This included about three hours undergoing interrogation, being asked
bizarre questions such as: "Have you ever met Lovinsky Pierre Antoine?" [a
well known Haitian human rights activist]
. "Have you received funds to
destabilize the country?"
. "Who are you working for?", etc.

It should be noted that Ginette Apollon was at great risk of having a heart
attack or stroke, for she suffers from hypertension and her blood pressure
had risen to 222 over 200. Were it not for the urgent intervention of Mme.
Coicou, a police spokesperson, who had Ginette taken to the nearby UN
hospital, this encounter with the police might well have been fatal.

Meanwhile the police agents once again meticulously combed through all the
possessions that Ginette had with her, as well as the items that I, Loulou
had in the vehicle. The police confiscated and kept my cellular phone and
laptop computer, as well as Ginette’s cellular phone and several books and
video cassettes that she had in her suitcase. Finally at 7:00 pm they
released us, with orders to report to police headquarters the following
day. On Wednesday, April 20 we reported to the DCPJ police headquarters as
requested, where we waited over four hours, before being released with
instructions to be present for an appearance there on Friday, April 22 at
10 a.m.

Faced with such a situation -- as peaceful, honest, responsible
citizens
..as trade unionists known nationally and internationally
..as
mother and father of a family -- we can in no way accept all these
gratuitous persecutions which tend to diminish our image and limit our
actions and our rights as human beings.

For these reasons, we appeal for national and international solidarity, to
help us in denouncing these diabolical maneuvers which are aimed at
destroying us physically and morally.

Let us continue the struggle for democracy, freedom and justice for all.

Long Live Haiti - Free and Independent.

Ginette Apollon and Paul Loulou Chery

[Original letter in French follows]

SOS Solidarite

Port-au-Prince, le 21 avril 2005

De Paul Loulou Chéry et Ginette Apollon

A : toutes les organisations syndicales Internationales et les
organisations de défense des droits de l’homme.

Objet : Persécution

Chers camarades, nous voudrions partager avec vous quelques faits relatifs
au persécutions subis par les autorités haïtiennes en place.

Le Mardi 19 avril 2005, Madame Ginette Apollon Présidente de la Commission
Nationale des Femmes Travailleuses CNFT affiliée à la Confédération des
Travailleurs Haïtiens (CTH) rentrait par le vol Américain Airlines dans le
pays en provenance de Caracas ou elle venait de participer à une conférence
Internationale de Solidarité organisée par la Centrale Latino-américaine
des Travailleurs (CLAT) à laquelle la CTH est affiliée.

Arrivée à l’Aéroport, Madame Ginette Apollon a été harcelé par un agent
douanier répondant au nom de Valéry. H. Sailvain qui, après avoir fouillé
tous ses bagages de front en comble, il a osé meme lui faire déshabillé
sous prétexte il cherchait de la drogue. N’ayant rien trouvé, il a demandé
à madame Ginette de vider les lieux avec arrogance après deux heures de
temps environs.

Ginette qui croyait que tout était terminé, elle se dirigeait vers le
parking ou moi, Paul Loulou chéry et mon Frère Lamour Chéry qui
l’attendaient. En montant dans le véhicule, deux agents de la police
nationale d;Haïti nous ont appréhendé tous trios et nous conduisaient dans
un premier temps au commissariat de police de l’aéroport et ensuite à la
Direction Centrale de la police Judiciaire(DCPJ) ou nous avons passé plus
de 7 heures d’horloge, en subissant des interrogatoires muscles pendant
trois heures de temps environs avec des drôles questions Comme : Est-ce que
vous avez rencontré monsieur Lovenski Pierre Antoine? Avez-vous reçu des
fonds pour déstabiliser le pays? Pour qui travaillez-vous? Etc.

Il faut souligner que Ginette apollon a faille faire un acv, car elle est
hypertendue et sa tension s’élevait à 222 par 200. N’était-ce
l’intervention urgente de madame Coicou la Porte parole de la Police qui
l’avait fait emmener à l’hôpital des UN situé tout près de la DCPJ son cas
aurait été fatal. Malgré tout on n’avait pas voulu nous libérer.

Par ailleurs, les agents de la police ont méticuleusement fouillé à nouveau
tous ce qu’apportait Ginette et les objets que moi-meme Loulou avait dans
le véhicule et ils gardent certains d’entre eux comme mon ordinateur
portable, mon téléphone cellulaire et celui de Ginette et quelques livres
et cassettes vidéos que Ginette avait dans sa valise. Finalement à sept
heures du soir on nous a relâche provisoirement tout en nous remettant une
convocation pour le Mercredi 20 avril 2005 à 10 heures du matin.

Effectivement à l’heure précise , ce Mercredi on s’est présenté au bureau
de la DCPJ pour répondre à cette convocation. Après plus de quatre heures
d’attente, on a reporté a nouveau le rendez-vous qui cette fois-ci est fixé
pour le Vendredi 22 avril 2005 à 10 heures du matin au DCPJ.

Devant de telle situation, en tant que citoyen et citoyenne paisibles,
honnêtes, responsables, syndicalistes connus tant sur le plan national et
international, mère et père de famille, nous ne pouvons en aucun cas
accepter toutes ses persécutions gratuites qui tendent à ternir nos images
et à limiter nos actions et nos droits en tant qu’être humains.

Pour cela nous faisons appels à la solidarité nationale et internationale
en vue de nous aider à dénoncer ces manoeuvres diaboliques qui visent à
nous détruire physiquement et moralement.

Luttons pour la démocratie, la liberté et la justice pour tous et pour toutes.

Vive Haïti libre et Indépendante

Ginette Apollon et Paul Loulou Chéry

NOTE: Paul Loulou Chery is General Coordinator of the Confederation of
Haitian Workers (CTH), the largest trade union confederation in Haiti.