[News] the love of possessions is a disease with them

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 24 16:43:59 EST 2004

"the love of possessions is a disease with them . . . "
  - Sitting Bull

Sell a country! Why not sell the air, the great sea, as well as the earth?
Didn't the Great Spirit make them all for the use of his children?

The way, the only way to stop this evil is for the red man to unite in
claiming a common and equal right in the land, as it was first, and should
be now, for it was never divided.

We gave them forest-clad mountains and valleys full of game, and in return
what did they give...Rum, trinkets, and a grave.

Where today are the Pequot? Where today are the Narrangansett, the Mohican,
the Pakanoket,
and many other once powerful tribes of our people?

They have vanished before the avarice and the oppression of the White Man,
as snow before a summer sun.

  - Tecumseh

But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the
same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it
is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government
  - declaration of independence

"Individuals have international duties which transcend the national
obligations of obedience
Therefore [individual citizens] have the duty to
violate domestic laws to prevent crimes against peace and humanity from
occurring"

-- Nuremberg War Crime Tribunal, 1950