[News] How will this affect Venezuela?

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 3 12:12:04 EST 2004

Oscar Heck: I was wrong
 I thought that Kerry would win the elections

<http://www.vheadline.com/readnews.asp?id=23337>http://www.vheadline.com/readnews.asp?id=23337

VHeadline.com commentarist Oscar Heck writes: A few days ago, a friend of
mine said politely, “I think Bush will win again because americans aren’t
aware enough of the negative impact which the Bush administration is
creating around the world on behalf of average americans.”

I guess that my friend is right ... most americans probably have no idea
... and I am sure that their government is not going to tell them the
truth. Their government will continue to spread untruths, propaganda and
lies. It is too bad.

How will this affect Venezuela?

It is a distressing question. Will the USA continue to finance anti-Chavez
criminals in Venezuela?

Will they continue to lambast Chavez and his democratically-elected
government ... calling Chavez a dictator and a communist?

Will they continue harbor Venezuelan criminals .. protecting them from
perfectly justifiable prosecution in Venezuela?

Will they continue to “mess around” with Latin America ... like Plan
Colombia and the US-led “war” on drugs?

They seem to really love war ... war on drugs, war on terrorism, war on
Iraq, war on anything that is politically convenient and financially
profitable ... oh ... and assassinating thousands upon thousands of
innocent women and children in the process doesn’t count if the victims are
not americans!

Will they continue to talk against the Chavez government even though Chavez
has 59% voter support and 87% State-Governance support (20 of 23 seats)?

Well, what to say?  The USA should learn from Venezuelan democracy...

Previous to Chavez, Venezuela was in as similar predicament as most
americans find themselves in today. Venezuelan was basically run by a
two-party system, the Adecos and Copeyanos ... 4 years one, four years the
other ... all leaders made from the same mold and born into the same caste
... the corrupt and almost “untouchable” wealthy (mostly white) caste.

Whatever democracy they preached was really a pseudo-democracy where the
mayors, governors, justices, institution presidents and military leaders
were appointed by the president (and his gang) and where the president
ruled the country mostly by presidential decrees, bribes and favors ... the
“old boy’s club.”

Today, since Chavez, Venezuela has an elected representative National
Assembly and a referendum system which allows the average citizen to
question the honesty and effectiveness of elected officials half way
through their elected term of office.

The two “old boy’s club” political parties are almost defunct ... and are
hanging off the fringes of the political system. New political parties,
more progressive and more diverse have sprouted and have entered the picture.

Participative democracy is very alive and well in Venezuela ... unlike in
the USA where americans have little choice but to elect either a Republican
or a Democrat (both the same gang, dressed differently, as it was in
Venezuela in the past).
    * I don’t think that Bush is able to learn anything from Venezuela’s
democracy though.

He hasn’t learned a thing about Venezuela in the last 4 years. However, the
american people can learn from Venezuela. Why should americans be stuck
with two traditional reigning political parties?

We are living in a new world now, a world which is experiencing great
changes ... where the “traditional powers” no longer serve the citizenry
adequately and where the honesty and goodwill of the “traditional powers
and institutions” is being seriously questioned by people all over the globe.

The people of the USA should take a closer look at Venezuela for guidance
... for a refreshing look at what true democracy is all about.

Maybe they can learn something ... especially since Bush can’t.

Oscar Heck
<mailto:oscar at vheadline.com>oscar at vheadline.com