[News] President Bush in the Classroom

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jul 21 15:24:53 EDT 2004

Subject: President Bush in the Classroom

President Bush in the Classroom

President Bush visits a primary school classroom. They are in the middle of
a discussion related to words and their meanings. The teacher asks the
President if he would like to lead the discussion of the word "tragedy." So
the illustrious leader asks the class for an example of a tragedy. One
little boy stands up and offers: "If my best friend, who lives on a farm,
is playing in the field and a tractor runs him over and kills him, that
would be a 'tragedy.

"No," says Bush, "that would be an 'accident.'

A little girl raises her hand: "If a school bus carrying 50 children drove
over a cliff, killing everyone inside, that would be a 'tragedy.'"

"I'm afraid not," explains the President. "That's what we would call a
'great loss.'"

The room goes silent. No other children volunteered. Bush searches the
room."Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a 'tragedy'?"

Finally at the back of the room a small boy raises his hand. In a quiet
voice he says: "If Air Force One, carrying you, Mr. President, were struck
by a 'friendly fire' missile and blown to smithereens, that would be a
'tragedy.'"

"Fantastic!" exclaims Bush. "That's right. And can you tell me why that
would be a 'tragedy'?"

"Well," says the boy, "because it certainly wouldn't be a 'great loss' and
it probably wouldn't be an 'accident' either."